Texas Hunting Forum

Rant: Newbies & Long Distance

Posted By: chital_shikari

Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 12:44 AM

I posted this in a FB group I'm a part of. I'm one of the more senior guys (hah!), so even though I'm quite a bit younger they listen to my "expertise" roflmao. Anything I miss? Bear in mind, these people are absolute newbies, so I've watered down the technicalities. And yes, 2" is not that great, but this was without any breaks for the barrel and a combined diameter of 4 different loads/grains at those three different distances. Let me know what you think! Oh and don't bash me too hard for the 60% shooting grin
Quote:
So this has been bothering me for a bit. Mostly from my own hunting club members I hear this that I want to shoot animals from at least 300yd.

I've shot 2 animals at 200yd+ in 9 years of hunting. One was an axis doe with my 22-250 with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm and 55gr Hornady VMAX in 2013, sitting on my rear end and resting on a uprooted treelimb. The second was a pig with my dad's 30-06 with a Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x50mm and 150gr Federal Fusion. The axis doe took 1 shot and a difficult tracking job: the super-flat shooting 22-250 did a ton of internal bleeding but left us nothing to follow with a chest shot. My 22-250 has shot 45, 55, and 64gr bullets within a 2" margin at 50, 100, and 200yd; that's why this was possible. The pig had blood everywhere, but took my 5 shots to drop: 3/5 connected. I was shooting standing, using a BOGPOD tripod as a rest.

There is no NEED, as a hunter, sportsman, to shoot at absurd distances. I took these two opportunities because I had to: the axis doe busted me while I was stalking her herd and the pigs were on higher ground than us so we couldn't get closer. I have shot deer on foot as close as 30yd. From a blind, 80-110yd. From a truck/mule, 100-200yd. It is your responsibility as an ETHICAL hunter to get as close as you can to your prey in order to deliver your hot little piece of molded lead or infused copper at it's best amount of energy into a living animal to take its life away.

That being said, a hunter does find himself in situations where un-ideal shots must be taken, such as in the above cases. That's where I have my pet peeve: one cannot just put trust in performance (of optic, gun, and shooter) at 100yd as the baseline for a 400yd shot. Anything at 300yd or higher is science and skill, not a smooth trigger pull and closed eye. Ballistic coefficients, wind drift, "dope," MILs, MOA, 1st Focal Plane, 2nd Focal Plane, bipods, cant, parallax, and PRACTICE all come into play here.

If there is ever a chance that you will shoot at 200yd, practice at that distance. 300yd? practice at 300. And NEVER shoot further than you've practiced for: I took 5 shots because I had only shot to 200yd, and at 273 I had to keep correcting for bullet drop. One of my hunting partners, a 14 year old who routinely shoots out to 600, dropped his pig with one shot--a headshot, to the eyeball--while shooting prone (I was standing. Now I know what sort of rest to use/have).

Long range shooting is not a joke. Please don't shoot if you haven't practiced at that distance. It's better to let the animal slip away, healthy and unharmed, than to put it through a miserable few hours before it dies or you can finish it off. Or worse, have it live with a bullet lodged inside of it, in pain every day because of lead poisoning or a badly healed bone.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 01:57 AM

Practice, practice, practice.

My longest shot on a big game animal is currently 274 yards on my Pronghorn last year. That was literally the closest we could get. He was a bit over halfway out into a quarter section, 4" tall wheat field. Only cover was the center pivot which is where I made the shot from. Knowing your rifle, ammo, ballistics, wind, etc are imperative for shooting long distances.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 02:08 AM

You had to take those shots?

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
It's the closest I could have gotten. confused2
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:11 AM

Id shoot at a hog or coyote at 1000 yds with no hesitation. Don't care if i gut shot, head shot, leg shot or whatever either of those animals. Now a deer I feel I could make a great shot out to 300 easily but would prefer them to be within 200yds.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:20 AM

WOW
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:48 AM

[quote=Brother in-law]
WOW [/quote
Wow, what???

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:52 AM

I believe in ethical kills on all animals. To each their own.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:56 AM

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 04:08 AM

So the pigs were on higher ground than y'all? That means you shot uphill? Where do the bullets go if they miss? Could you see your back drop? I'd have more issues with that than taking a long shot.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 04:10 AM

Chital you may fit in better on this website

http://www.peta.org

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 04:43 AM

The pigs were on the side of a hill. We were in the valley below. Back drop was solid Palo Duro Canyon. Bullets go into rocks and dirt. I'm young but I'm not stupid.

So I am an anti-hunter because I respect all animals, regardless of their label as game animal or varmint or pest?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 04:47 AM

Maybe you will finally learn a .22-250 is not a do-all cartridge

That and learn to shoot at 300 yards.

300 yards, while a good distance, is not unachievble. It's within the realm of common big game hunting

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 04:51 AM

Having to take those shots is relative, I guess. The deer I had to shoot, because I wasn't about to go home and had worked darn hard to get to them. The pig was a new experience in a new terrain. I may have gotten closer, but the other hunters I was with had set up to shoot already, and I wasn't going to go in front of him.
So in either case, it was my desire to shoot those animals. I would have definitely gotten closer if possible, but that was not the case.

I should have known better than to post anything asking for advice. Y'all are a tough crowd: darned if you try to know, darned if you don't know.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Maybe you will finally learn a .22-250 is not a do-all cartridge

That and learn to shoot at 300 yards.

300 yards, while a good distance, is not unachievble. It's within the realm of common big game hunting
Thanks, Captain Obvious. I'm a big boy now, so I rarely use the lil iddy biddy evil horrible small 22-250. Then again, the 30-30 is too small for deer too right? And a 30-06 is not nearly enough gun for deer or pig, right?
I literally admitted my mistake: I didn't practice enough so I didn't hit that pig on all of my shots.
Dude, I wrote that thing to address this statement: "(My Name), I'm not even gonna shoot if it's less than 300yd." He is shooting a Blaser R8 300WM with a Swaro Z5 5-25x52mm BRH reticle. He has never shot at the range past 100yd, but somehow heart-shotted a nilgai @ 287 with a 30-06 and Nikon BDC. I don't want to be hunting with someone with utter disregard for hunting ethics.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 11:59 AM

Better stay away from South Texas Chip Shot Charlie roflmao

Most pokes are quick fast and long aim
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 01:30 PM

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 01:33 PM

Another "hunt my way or you are doing it wrong" piece with follow-up posts poorly rationalized examples for breaking your own "ethical" standards. Contrary to your claim, you didn't have to take those shots. You were just unwilling to not shoot, plain and simple.

Quote:
I should have known better than to post anything asking for advice. Y'all are a tough crowd: darned if you try to know, darned if you don't know.

Sounds more like you request for advice really wasn't really a request for advice now was it?
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 01:49 PM

One of the best things I ever did was take up long range shooting. KNOWING exactly where my rifles shoot at any distance out to 800 yards has been an eye opening experience. I had killed a few animals at long distances before, and also missed a few. Now I realize just how unlucky those few that I killed actually were.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 02:48 PM

I have hunted all my life and never had to take a shot over 150 yards. Yes I left a few animals to walk away. I try to stalk until I am close enough for a good clean kill. I've shot antelope in Wyoming and mountain goat in British Columbia, got within 40 yards, plus mule and whitetail. However my wife takes shots at 200 -300 yards routinely. She has taken 24 shots and has 24 kills. So, each to his own. The hunting world is big enough for all of us without us attacking each other.......PETA will do that without our help.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 02:58 PM

AMEN MT T.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari

That is not the proper answer to the question. The reason should be obvious upon reflection.

I'll not weigh in on the larger issue, as I'm not really sure what advice you are seeking/giving from your OP.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

That is not the proper answer to the question. The reason should be obvious upon reflection.

I'll not weigh in on the larger issue, as I'm not really sure what advice you are seeking/giving from your OP.
I believe he is seeking attention and a round of applause for preaching what he believes to be ethical hunting
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I have hunted all my life and never had to take a shot over 150 yards. Yes I left a few animals to walk away. I try to stalk until I am close enough for a good clean kill. I've shot antelope in Wyoming and mountain goat in British Columbia, got within 40 yards, plus mule and whitetail. However my wife takes shots at 200 -300 yards routinely. She has taken 24 shots and has 24 kills. So, each to his own. The hunting world is big enough for all of us without us attacking each other.......PETA will do that without our help.

But is makes these threads sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring if we aren't slamming each other. grin
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:50 PM

If you have good information to share or a passionate do it in a responsible and positive way. If you feel you are qualified to be teaching others hunting safety or giving advice on hunting do it in a responsible manner.

If your going to write an opinion piece and preach to others via posting it on the internet at least write it well. Make a clear concise point and support with information you can support with facts or expert analysis. No one reads Facebook "rants" no one cares if you just wander around a subject, you think you know something about. People post blathering thoughts on subjects they feel passionate about everday and expect other to agree. Present yourself and your opinion in a respectable way and you may have better luck reaching your audience.

IE:

Opinion:
Shooting distances in hunting varies greatly; practice, skill, and caliber are three critical factors when taking game animals.

Support: This is where factual information on various game calibers and their respective limitations in regard to distance could be presented. Suggest practice shooting at ranges you maybe likely to encounter for the game and environment being hunted. Finally consideration should be made for each individual hunter's skill set and limitations.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

But is makes these threads sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring if we aren't slamming each other. grin

Oh, I forgot, my bad...I'll sit back and just watch the soap opera unfold. popcorn
Posted By: BuckFodder

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 04:38 PM

Do as you please, shoot whatever you want at any distance, it is a free country. I wouldn't have posted what you did in my opinion because their are to many namby-pambies that have to input their less than 2 cents in.

Rock on.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 05:09 PM

Man, I feel sorry for the crow I shot at 245 yards last day of season. I happened to use a lowly 300 blk out with a 115 grain Berger at a slow 2300 fps with a Rem 700 and 10x scope. 1.4 mils up and a .2 wind hold = dead crow. It doesn't freakin' matter if I'm shooting a 308, 300 WM, 223, or 300 blk out. If I have practiced with my set up, know my rifle and know my ammo, I'll be on target at most any distance. So would anyone if they know their gear.

What is "long range"? Being in the shooting business, what is long range is different for many people. Some think after 100 yards is long range. Others is 300 yards. My definition, like the NRA's definition is, is anything 600 yards and out is considered long range. So anything less than 600 is considered "short range". I'd agree with that.

You have to look at shooting and/or precision shooting, in general, beyond 100 yards. I use 100 yards as a zero point, where your scope and turrets are zero'd to your point of aim at 100 yards. Past that, is where the fun starts. I test my ammunition test loads at 200 and 300 yards. I'll "play" at stupid distances when going to the range because I can. I've taken that 300 blk out to 600 yards just "playing" around. Would I shoot at a deer that far, no. But if a deer steps out at 300, chances are I'll drill is a$$. If you don't shoot past 100 yards, then 300 is a long range shot. If you shoot and "play" at distances that would be crazy far, the shorter shots are easy.

So, what is long range to you may be totally different than someone else. If you are competent and know your gear well, who am I to tell you you can not take a shot on something. If you have no clue where your bullet is after 200 yards, and take a 300-400 yard shot, then yes, that's probably less ethical. But if I'm drilling crows at a lasered 245 yards with some wind shooting a 300 blk out, I'm fine shooting at a deer, pig or yote.
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 05:45 PM

Used to shoot IMSHA Pistol Silhouette. Used a Thompson Center Contender, 10" Bull Barrel, 357 Magnum, Open Sights. It was nothing to clean the Rams at 200M using a 180 grain Spire Point bullet. Did the same with a S&W Model 29 10" Silhouette Revolver, 240 grain FMJ's.

Memorable Kills.

1) Remngton 700 BDL, 7mm Magnum, Bushnell Banner 4x12 - deer at 330 yards = dead

2) Remngton 700 BDL, 7mm Magnum, Bushnell Banner 4x12 - deer at 550 yards = dead

3) Remngton 700 BDL, 7mm Magnum, Bushnell Banner 4x12 - deer at 580 yards = dead (same day/time as (2).

4) Remngton 700 BDL, 300 Ultra Mag, Redfield 3x9x50 - deer at 600 yards = dead

5) Remngton 700 BDL, 300 Ultra Mag, Redfield 3x9x50 - deer at 630 yards = dead

6) Remngton 700 BDL, 300 Ultra Mag, Redfield 3x9x50 - deer at 650 yards = dead

(4,5,6 were all shot by my son in a span of about 30 minutes off of a plateau over looking a valley)

7) Remngton 700 BDL, 300 Ultra Mag, Redfield 3x9x50 - Mouflan Ram 825 yards = dead
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 06:38 PM

Nobody "has" to take a shot. The excuse that I wasn't going home empty or had worked too hard to not shoot something is not very ethical, in my opinion. I made a friend of mine mad because he had entered an illegal whitetail buck in a big buck contest. He had entered three bucks (this was long before AR's and being able to shoot more than one AR buck as long as it was in a different county). I pointed out the guy running the contest that the third buck he entered was killed illegally since he had never even been to a three buck county. When he found out what I did he confronted me about it. When I told him my reasoning he said that he had gotten on a new lease in north Texas and had already killed two bucks here in east Texas but since he had paid the money to be on that other lease he felt justified in killing it. I just told him he should have just killed one in east Texas and been legal. Bottom line, justifying bad behavior is a slippery slope.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 08:26 PM

Pretty sure that someone is going to [censored] on this too, but I will go ahead and try to clear things up a bit.

I see SapperTitan's point that I'm just trying to gain attention or get my post count up or whatever. I see how y'all may see this post that way.
But that wasn't what I was trying to do. No sir.
I put that up there so that y'all could point out some fallacies in my points made--y'all didn't see the point I was trying to make, only the fact that I missed a pig twice and the numbers "22-250." All I'm trying to do is to not have people who are just barely getting into hunting and shooting think that shooting past 300yd is the same as to shooting under 150yd. I put my failures in there to back up that point: when you don't practice, you miss. When you use a small caliber with a non-head/neck shot at a distance further than 200yd, then you're in for some prayer and stress. I've learned a lot from here and am trying to pass on very good information from here to people who are more novice than me. I'm still young, but I have been hunting for 9 years--is that worth nothing? I've made my share of mistakes, mistakes that I've realized because THF has showed me that these are mistakes.
The whole point of my big long anecdotal "rant" was to basically say this (to the brand-new hunters who I am addressing, not Texas Hunting Forum because y'all ain't brand new): hit a target at X distance before you attempt to hit an animal, because there are more factors at those ranges and beyond than under them, which I have learned the hard way. (X>200yd)

And I must ask: what is wrong with promoting clean kills, regardless of distance, animal, caliber, or scope magnification? I don't see a pet peeve to derive from "ethical hunting," however you want to define it. I'm not telling YOU what to do, I'm telling people who don't know what they're doing what NOT to do so that they don't screw up like I have.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 09:22 PM

so, lot's of post's with kill shots, how about missed shots
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 10:10 PM

Pretty sure that someone is going to [censored] on this too, but I will go ahead and try to clear things up a bit.

I see SapperTitan's point that I'm just trying to gain attention or get my post count up or whatever. I see how y'all may see this post that way.
But that wasn't what I was trying to
do. No sir.
I put that up there so that y'all could point out some fallacies in my points made--y'all didn't see the point I was trying to make, only the fact that I missed a pig twice and the numbers "22-250." All I'm trying to do is to not have people who are just barely getting into hunting and shooting think that shooting past 300yd is the same as to shooting under 150yd. I put my failures in there to back up that point: when you don't practice, you miss. When you use a small caliber with a non-head/neck shot at a distance further than 200yd, then you're in for some prayer and stress. I've learned a lot from here and am trying to pass on very good information from here to people who are more novice than me. I'm still young, but I have been hunting for 9 years--is that worth nothing? I've made my share of mistakes, mistakes that I've realized because THF has showed me that these are mistakes.
The whole point of my big long anecdotal "rant" was to basically say this (to the brand-new hunters who I am addressing, not Texas Hunting Forum because y'all ain't brand new): hit a target at X distance before you attempt to hit an animal, because there are more factors at those ranges and beyond than under them, which I have learned the hard way. (X>200yd)

And I must ask: what is wrong with promoting clean kills, regardless of distance, animal, caliber, or scope magnification? I don't see a pet peeve to derive from "ethical hunting," however you want to define it. I'm not telling YOU what to do, I'm telling people who don't know what they're doing what NOT to do so that they don't screw up like I have.

Young man, you are experienceing what all of us old farts experianced many years ago: growing up.

I belive your intensions were good and sincere.

Here is the thing. You are trying to pass along knowalage (admirable) to your peers, but you seek wisdome from these men and women you admire.

You are now learning the differance between the two right now, here in this post.

Wisdom comes with time, and maturity.

I belive some of the answers here were harsh, but that is what you asked for (relise it or not), and you have been given a great gift.

Please reread all the post and look at the wisdom that has been shaired with you.

I think you expected to hear praise for a job well done, but got something much more valuable .

Keep on swinging, you are not far from where you want to be.

You will make these guys proud I promice.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 10:36 PM

You just cannot have a different opinion? Chital your post is not out in left field.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
You just cannot have a different opinion? Chital your post is not out in left field.

It absoutly is not, if I infered it was I appoligise. I think he did a bang up job trying to teach what he has learned. To do that well takes practous and time. Not every harsh statement here was helpfull, but several offered him guidence.

I am proud he ts trying to pass along knolage, and even more so that he respectfully defended his position in a Mature maner. My intention was one of encouragement.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: rdhibbs
Originally Posted By: wilhunt

It absoutly is not, if I infered it was I appoligise. I think he did a bang up job trying to teach what he has learned. To do that well takes practous and time. Not every harsh statement here was helpfull, but several offered him guidence.

I am proud he ts trying to pass along knolage, and even more so that he respectfully defended his position in a Mature maner. My intention was one of encouragement.

Yes sir.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/15/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: rdhibbs

But that wasn't what I was trying to
do. No sir.

Young man, you are experienceing what all of us old farts experianced many years ago: growing up.

I belive your intensions were good and sincere.

Here is the thing. You are trying to pass along knowalage (admirable) to your peers, but you seek wisdome from these men and women you admire.

You are now learning the differance between the two right now, here in this post.

Wisdom comes with time, and maturity.

I belive some of the answers here were harsh, but that is what you asked for (relise it or not), and you have been given a great gift.

Please reread all the post and look at the wisdom that has been shaired with you.

I think you expected to hear praise for a job well done, but got something much more valuable .

Keep on swinging, you are not far from where you want to be.

You will make these guys proud I promice.

Spot on. I wasn't at 16, what I would become. Keep right on rolling along and learning Chital.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/16/16 03:00 AM

I see your location says "in a HF".. That says it all......

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/16/16 03:45 AM

Thanks for the info!
Posted By: specialed309

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/16/16 01:15 PM

I believe Bryan Litz gives the best description of long range.
It's dependent on the caliber and bullet combination along with shooters capabilities and experience.
30 cal bullet in a 308 long range is about 1000 yards
30 cal bullet in a win mag or 338 long range is significantly farther.

He goes on to explain extended long range is when bullet enters transonic zone.
For a .22 that may be at 25-50 yards. Shooting a .22 beyond 100 yards can be considered extended long range.

I agree with his definition.
Food for the fodder.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/16/16 07:53 PM

He in training to become our next Chest Thumping Elitist roflmao
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/16/16 09:47 PM

So the OP is telling folks to only take sportsman-like shots on deer, but he's using a 22-250 at 200 yards or more. I have no problem with the distance at all, but I have a problem with the caliber he chose to make the shots. I have a 220 Swift and did hunt pigs and deer with it for a short time, but realized quickly that it really isn't the proper medicine for deer and pigs. In my view, a good hunter CAN use a 22-250, but a good hunter won't.

I've been hunting deer for 56 years. I'm qualified to make that statement.

As to shooting deer at distance, I'll shoot at 300 if I have the time and the deer is not moving much, and maybe a bit further under good conditions, but I don't really need the meat or another big rack. A hog or coyote, however, is in danger out to 500 or so. Past that I'd shoot if I thought I could hit them. To me, an ethical shot on a coyote is when you hit meat or bone. About the same for pigs.

And I agree with rdhibbs.
Posted By: webb1974

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/19/16 02:44 AM

Not gonna bash you chital but you have to realize you can't preach ethical shots and post you had to take the shot. everyone is comfortable at different distances and with different calibers. You need to think about what you said and my advice is if the shot is not ethical on the first hour of the hunt then it's not on the last hour.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/19/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: webb1974
Not gonna bash you chital but you have to realize you can't preach ethical shots and post you had to take the shot. everyone is comfortable at different distances and with different calibers. You need to think about what you said and my advice is if the shot is not ethical on the first hour of the hunt then it's not on the last hour.
Very true. I'm working towards that level of ethics, but for now I'm pretty trigger happy frown
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/19/16 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: webb1974
Very true. I'm working towards that level of ethics, but for now I'm pretty trigger happy frown

Big props for honesty there. I was pretty trigger-happy at your age too. up

Think about this though: the older I got, the less trigger-happy I got. And my animals taken kept getting better and better. Funny how that works....
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/19/16 04:14 PM

Not sure how it fits into this conversation, but I have lease buddies who start blasting at doves when they're still 100 yards away. Is this considered long range hunting, or do I have stupid lease buddies? I ask them why we bother setting up the Mojos within 20 yards if they're shooting at 100.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/19/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
Not sure how it fits into this conversation, but I have lease buddies who start blasting at doves when they're still 100 yards away. Is this considered long range hunting, or do I have stupid lease buddies? I ask them why we bother setting up the Mojos within 20 yards if they're shooting at 100.
Its stupidity, unless y'all have invented the sniper shotgun.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/20/16 12:36 AM

I think the better term is they are steering the dove to another field where their buddies (who are better shots) are hunting, thereby increasing their hunting yield and illegally claiming their limit while not actually hunting there clap

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/20/16 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
I think the better term is they are steering the dove to another field where their buddies (who are better shots) are hunting, thereby increasing their hunting yield and illegally claiming their limit while not actually hunting there clap

Keep em moving roflmao
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/20/16 04:09 PM

It's all about responsibility in the end. If you take a shot you are responsible for the outcome. Shooting axis with a small caliber rifle at long range is not responsible... It's just common sense. I think you learned your lesson though when you chased her through the woods to get the job done.....experience

If you made the same shot will a bigger caliber and better bullet things would've gone better and you definitely know that....common sense

If you have the gun/bullet to get the job done at the distance and have shot the range before and know your capable through experience then you can take the shot and know your ok. If you feel uneasy and unsure you just don't do it...it's just responsible to hunt that way.

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/20/16 05:56 PM

up
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/20/16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
It's all about responsibility in the end. If you take a shot you are responsible for the outcome. Shooting axis with a small caliber rifle at long range is not responsible... It's just common sense. I think you learned your lesson though when you chased her through the woods to get the job done.....experience

If you made the same shot will a bigger caliber and better bullet things would've gone better and you definitely know that....common sense

If you have the gun/bullet to get the job done at the distance and have shot the range before and know your capable through experience then you can take the shot and know your ok. If you feel uneasy and unsure you just don't do it...it's just responsible to hunt that way.
This is also why I will not neck shoot a game animal, the target area is very small which makes the chance of missing your target point of impact that much greater when you start taking longer shots. Its just to little of a margin for error

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/20/16 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: cmorsch
Originally Posted By: Wacm

This is also why I will not neck shoot a game animal, the target area is very small which makes the chance of missing your target point of impact that much greater when you start taking longer shots. Its just to little of a margin for error
I didn't aim at either animal's necks!
Posted By: bcwhit

Re: Rant: Newbies & Long Distance - 07/21/16 06:32 PM

Some years ago I was able to shoot at 500 yards all the time and was quit comfortable doing so. I have managed to shoot several head of game at 400-500 yards without issue. However, The last almost ten years the amount of time I am able to spend shooting has been greatly diminished. so now I do limit myself to 200-250 yards.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum