Texas Hunting Forum

Camo or no camo?

Posted By: The Rookie Hunter

Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 04:28 PM

Hey guys,
I've put a few questions out to all of you now and really appreciate all of the feedback I get. Me and a good friend have a hunting podcast where I've include the feedback from this forum. The gear episodes we did were really well received, so thanks to anyone that chimed in on that post a while back.
Anyways, the one question we keep getting from listeners is the classic camouflage clothing question. Is it necessary? Does it improve your chances for success? Does the species your focused on hunting or the terrain you're in require camo? Or, is it just one more expensive piece of gear that we could all do without. If you have brands you like/dislike please name those.
I have my thoughts on this one and so does my co-host, but I'd really like to hear thoughts and suggestions from you guys. Thanks in advance. We'll be sharing your advice on our next episode. Cheers!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 04:38 PM

Every situation is different.

I'm more worried with technical aspects of the clothing to match the type hunt then than it being camo or solid.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Every situation is different.

I'm more worried with technical aspects of the clothing to match the type hunt then than it being camo or solid.

Well said ...
Setup and Windage plays a huge role in my line of attack up
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 04:55 PM

I think its a plus to have the camo but to go out and buy the outfits today is expensive and not really any better than ur old camo.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 05:00 PM

I don't use camo. Never saw the need for it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
I don't use camo. Never saw the need for it.

Texas not so much, hunting the mountains, if it buys you 5 more seconds as an elk or Mulie deer is looking at you, that maybe all you need to get an arrow in the boiler room.

With that said I hunt in solid colored pants out west a bunch but my shirts are camo.

But for me the clothing needs to meet the techincal aspects.

Cold= warm
Cold/windy=wind blocking
Hot- breathable and wicking
Rainy- waterproof or great DWR
Long pack in hunt- repel human stink factor for more then two days.

Etc
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 05:16 PM

The only reason that camo is needed in Texas is so that when I walk into a resturant I can see who else is hunting because they are all decked out in camo also. So I get to exchange a "How did you do today" with people who I otherwise would not know were hunting.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 06:19 PM

If I'm in a box blind, no camo. Sitting in a tree, up against a tree, in a tripod, or walking around I will have camo on.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 06:19 PM

camo is only needed when you are enclosed in a box blind watching a feeder clap
Posted By: Cast

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 06:27 PM

Duck hunters only.
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 06:55 PM

I wear camo on almost every hunt? why? Because those are my hunting clothes. I don't have a closet full of hunting clothes because I don't need them. I wear my hunting clothes, which are mostly camo, whenever I hunt. These are the clothes that I take precautions to keep separate from my other clothes and household things so that they don't absorb those odors. They are washed and stored separately. Too much trouble to do this with more than one or two sets of clothes. So I wear camo when I hunt.

However, I put it on when I get out of the truck at the hunt site and take it off when I get back. Wearing head to toe camo when you aren't actually hunting is just tacky.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 07:04 PM

i wear camo for the cool factor
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 08:34 PM

I don't like ripped crotches from barb wire on my good clothes so I wear the same camo I bought for $10 at Academy 15 years ago. And some old jeans as well I don't mind getting blood all over them.

If you are looking for sponsors. Camo is definitely required. At least 10 sets of it.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 08:58 PM

I have actually have people upset that as a guide I am not wearing camo all the time.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 09:02 PM

I wear camo more when I'm out in public than I do hunting, just for the helluva it.grin

Wind direction is the most important. Movement/cover is 2nd.

I have never in my life driven to some spot, got out, got bare-arsed nekid, pulled some other clothes outa some charcoal infused container, put 'em on and gone hunting. Them pointy stick guys that do that need to be committed.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 10:48 PM

the only camo available for the first 30+ years of my hunting career was 2nd hand Army surplus and finding anything in my size was almost even more rare. I think I finally found some Army camo pants that were about 6-8 inches to short and tighter than the worn out blue jeans I wore them over, looked hideous, but I was cool (in my own mind). Those didn't last too long before they were ripped to shreds from fences & briers. I mostly used just dull colors or colors that I thought blended into my surroundings, then found out that deer/elk are supposedly color blind, but a dove can see a white t-shirt from 1/2 mile away. Yeah, I have some camo, but mostly like others have stated, its more about the technology/comfort factor (warm, dry, cool, wind, etc.) ... finding a good quality jacket/coat that will keep you warm and is fairly water resistant that's not overly noisy that is NOT camo now-a-days is likely hard to do without breaking the bank.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Camo or no camo? - 05/31/16 11:52 PM

Turkey hunt - camo
Dove - camo
Archery - camo
Gun - not so much (back in the early 60's wore red plaid jacket with Levi's)
To each his own, never tried the scent free clothes
Blind - black shirt
Just my 2cents
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 12:42 AM

Sometimes I wear camo just bc I don't care if I get blood, mud, or whatever on it.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 02:01 AM

Archery is different. Turkey, ducks and geese are different. Rifle from a blind or vehicle, nah.

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 02:11 AM

You know how many deer have been killed in the last 20 yrs by people with big orange vests and hats on haha.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
You know how many deer animals have been killed in the last 20 yrs by people with big orange vests and hats on haha.

I still wear it, but mainly because it is what I take with me on a hunting trip. I don't think that it is necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. As was said above, it is more about the technical aspects of the clothing and fitting the environment I will be going in.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 02:22 AM

Yes but I hunt in Missouri during rifle season and I'm required to wear safety orange. If you are less than 15 to 20 feet up deer will regularly bust you. They may not see colors but they do see a blotch of lighter against the darker of the tree. Try drawing or moving and they will see you. Above 20 feet though it's less of an issue. However my fat old [censored] doesn't like getting too high up any more.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 04:36 AM

I wear camo, even if it's a box blind sit, just in case I decide to get out and put a stalk on something. But I'm not committed to any brand or pattern. Most of what I got is mismatched whatever was on sale at Bass Pro or Academy. All I'm looking for is something drab to breakup my outline a bit.

Something to note here... In Africa when you break out your camo it will often draw a snicker or joke from your Professional Hunter. They think US hunters and our camo is a hoot. To a tee, they will all tell you to simply wear olive drab or khaki of some sort.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 11:27 AM

I wear camo when bowhunting because I think it makes a difference and all camo is stored in a cedar chest in my closet during the off season. Love the smell when that cedar chest is opened.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 12:09 PM

Sometimes when I hunt, I wear camo, only because I figure it doesn't hurt to have my outline broken up by the patterns. However, I don't feel it is as necessary as simply not standing out, wind/scent, noise, and movement. I also wear earth tone solids quite a bit.

The one thing I find amusing (and am guilty of) is folks wearing the complete wrong sort of camo for the environment in which they are hunting. At that point, it is a detriment more than a benefit.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 02:55 PM

If I hunt during the day I often wear camo. Even when I was bow hunting I never wore the scent lock type stuff though. Didn't seem to matter. Paying closer attention to where and how I and the animals move, always having wind in mind, staying concealed and being careful about making noise all seems more important than clothes. Of course, being dressed per the environmental conditions is a must.

I hunt hogs at night with thermal for the most part. So, I generally wear a black shirt or sweatshirt. It does two things; 1) It blends in at night (as opposed to a light colored shirt). 2) You need a solid (preferably dark or black) surface to NUC (calibrate) thermal monoculars periodically. So, it becomes part of your gear.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Something to note here... In Africa when you break out your camo it will often draw a snicker or joke from your Professional Hunter. They think US hunters and our camo is a hoot. To a tee, they will all tell you to simply wear olive drab or khaki of some sort.

a little off topic... but.. Ive never been to Africa so no personal experience, but from what I see they wear a good deal of short shorts and short sleeve shirts. Is there a reasoning for the short? If I'm trudging through the bush I think I would want some jeans or similar.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 03:36 PM

I wear camo, even if it's a box blind sit, just in case I decide to get out and put a stalk on something. But I'm not committed to any brand or pattern. Most of what I got is mismatched whatever was on sale at Bass Pro or Academy. All I'm looking for is something drab to breakup my outline a bit.

I agree but still watching the Craig Boddington wannabe's with there little short shorts makes me giggle everytime...
rofl roflmao

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

a little off topic... but.. Ive never been to Africa so no personal experience, but from what I see they wear a good deal of short shorts and short sleeve shirts. Is there a reasoning for the short? If I'm trudging through the bush I think I would want some jeans or similar.
prob bc it's very hot outside
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 04:35 PM

whatever you do, do not mismatch your camo, you might as well not even wear it if you aren't going head to toe in the same pattern, its science.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 04:44 PM

Is camo necessary? Not really (some exceptions, such as turkey/waterfowl). Does it help? For the most part yes (not sitting in a box blind, but in a treestand or stalking etc).

I think movement and scent/wind is more important than camo. In the old days, didn't people hunt in red plaid wool? I've been within 50yd of game without camo and they didn't spook because a) stillness and b) wind was in my face.

That being said, I almost always wear camo when hunting. It's more a culture thing: in Europe they have their "gentleman" getup, in Africa they have safari suits, and in the outback you wear khaki booty shorts. It does help, and like someone said earlier, when I walk into a gas station I can talk the talk with other hunters. Again, as someone said earlier, camo is a bulk of my "hunting clothes." These are separate from my day-to-day wear, as the scent factor is tied into maintenance or storage.

Happy huntin'.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 05:52 PM

If I have a rifle, muzzleloader, or slug gun then I dont worry about camo. If its archery or buckshot then I do. It all depends on how I am hunting.
Posted By: LRG

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/01/16 07:19 PM

Situational only. In the box blind, no. Open in a tree stand it has proven necessary more than once.
Posted By: firestick

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/02/16 12:58 AM

Camo outside the blind. Black in the blind. My stands are painted black inside.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/02/16 12:35 PM

I wear camouflage when hunting. It's my uniform for my hobby. up
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/02/16 12:53 PM

Why wouldn't I? I want every advantage I can get without being stupid about it. Besides, I look sexy in camo.
Posted By: Western

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/02/16 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I wear camouflage when hunting. It's my uniform for my hobby. up

Same usually.

Ever see an old VHS of Chuck Adams, blue jeans and flannel shirt, same with many older videos of well know hunters. Fed Bear another good example, from what I read, he wore it for the sponsorship.

Camo is Huge business and big sponsorship. Camo may lead a hunter to feel more confident, so that in itself may be a bigger factor IDK.

Personally, I think movement and hunting style are the biggest factors. Indians where pretty good archers/hunters, maybe used a buffalo/wolf hide occasionaly, but they still put meat on the table.
Posted By: Tree_fish

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/02/16 01:22 PM

I spent good money on my winter camo, I'm a skinny guy and need the warmth in winter. Summer time it's the cheap academy camo 9 times out of 10. That extra 5 seconds might buy you the time you need to square up on a shot.
Posted By: The Rookie Hunter

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/05/16 03:49 AM

Thanks for all of the amazing feedback, guys! We used information from this thread and read a few comments on our last episode, which was Episode 10. You can check it out from iTunes or directly from our website. Both links can be found in my signature.

We really appreciate your thoughts on the camo debate and hope you'll share your ideas on any other topics we cover on the podcast. Send us your feedback if you check it out.

Happy hunting!!

-Mike
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/09/16 03:38 PM

There was once a time when camo clothing did not exist. Since I wasn't alive then I don't know for sure and could be wrong but I'm pretty sure people hunted then... and did so successfully.

Camo clothing is not needed but certainly doesn't hurt.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/09/16 04:00 PM

My wife wears a fishing shirt every time we go, but it doesn't seem to help her catch fish, cast any bait without losing it, or cast in a different direction of other's lines trout
Posted By: ptlmg

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/12/16 01:42 PM

Since I mostly bow hunt, i usually just wear my leaf ghillie suit over my jeans and tshirt.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/12/16 01:51 PM

I do have some camo but don't usually wear more than the shirts0. Not needed in the blind.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/12/16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
If I'm in a box blind, no camo. Sitting in a tree, up against a tree, in a tripod, or walking around I will have camo on.

This
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/12/16 05:27 PM

The answer is easy... It's always YES to camo. Except when snow skiing in CO, that's when you can spot the Cajuns and the Texans on the slope.

Charlie
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/13/16 02:32 AM

Wearing the camo keeps the girlfriend a little calmer. She actually thinks I'm going hunting when just out partying with the Boys!
Posted By: Rangerbob1

Re: Camo or no camo? - 06/13/16 01:53 PM

I agree with most on the fact of camo being situational. Being a waterfowler pretty much everything that is designed for the sport is camo. But I think most of the camo patterns out there today are too "busy" and are made to catch the eye of the hunter.

Steve
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum