Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Alone Question

Posted By: TxHunter87

Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 07:54 PM

I'm on a lease with 6 guys total and it gets hard to get our schedules in line so at least 1 other person would be able to be at the lease the same time as me. I don’t mind filling feeders alone but to do a whole hunting trip or any real heavy work seems like a bad idea just because of safety. Maybe I am just over thinking this but would like to hear yalls thoughts on being all alone on your lease or land bad idea or not a big deal?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:01 PM

Depends a lot on you. There's a lot of people who would be fine, and a lot of others who would be very uncomfortable with it
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:13 PM

I'm OK with being alone, but alone and isolated in the badlands, hours from a hospital, with sketchy cell service? That just ain't too smart.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TxHunter87
I'm on a lease with 6 guys total and it gets hard to get our schedules in line so at least 1 other person would be able to be at the lease the same time as me. I don’t mind filling feeders alone but to do a whole hunting trip or any real heavy work seems like a bad idea just because of safety. Maybe I am just over thinking this but would like to hear yalls thoughts on being all alone on your lease or land bad idea or not a big deal?

Hunt alone frequently. My wife/father know where the lease is, and where all the blinds/feeders are. I've also sent them screenshots of google maps and my Iphone has a locator app that can easily find me (as long as I keep my phone on me). If it is just me there I check in after the morning hunt, and after the evening hunt. If I'm not answering for some reason they will be coming to find me. I may spend the afternoon in the field if I get hurt but I know that at some point I'd have help coming. With that being said I don't get up on a ladder to fill feeders, or jack around on the roof of the RV unless someone else is there with me. Just try to eliminate the dangerous parts of the activity as best you can. I will say it sucks if you trap six 125 lb hogs with no one to help load them into the truck, but that is where creativity pays off.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:18 PM

Depends how remote the place is. As Cast said, if you're remote and contact is limited or sketchy, it might not be a good idea.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
I'm OK with being alone, but alone and isolated in the badlands, hours from a hospital, with sketchy cell service? That just ain't too smart.

+1 Agreed.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:21 PM

Buy an Inreach explorer.

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:22 PM

Sound like my ranch. Guess I should never go or just sell it
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:23 PM

I'm fine with hunting alone and do it plenty. We have good cell service so if something did happen you can get ahold of someone.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:25 PM

I will hunt alone if that's the way things work out, but I prefer company. Being remote is just part of it, if you aren't comfortable with that then go when others are there, not a big deal.
Posted By: waverider

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:28 PM

I work most weekends, so I end up hunting alone mid-week. I prefer it that way.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:39 PM

I prefer to hunt alone. I will admit that it's probably not the smartest thing to do, particularly as I get older.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:42 PM

I hunt and work alone pretty frequently. Just takes a little more focus on safety, but has it's own rewards in the way of quiet and reflection.

I love hanging out with the other guys too, but I'm darn sure not going to let lack of somebody else keep me from going. To each their own.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:43 PM

I hunt by myself all the time on a ranch that is very remote with no neighbors within 15 miles and no cell phone service. It is fairly rocky, desert country and I am not afraid of any wild critter out there. The only thing that does cross my mind from time to time is running across drug smugglers as I am within 20 miles of the border. Since there is no electricity or running water, I rarely hunt longer than three days before returning home.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: GLC

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:46 PM

I hunt by myself most of the time too even with others on the lease. But if you have bad cell service, I would be very careful. You never know when an accident will happen.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 08:47 PM

'Can't be as dangerous as taking an infant into the outdoors! laugh But I digress.

I carry an InReach Explorer with me. Cell service is non-existent on our lease. I'm retired, so, as stated above, sometimes it's nice to be out there mid-week and take your time hunting/exploring at your own pace. I always leave a note, such-and-such date am or pm and the blind/general area I'll be, just in case the wife sends someone looking for me for whatever reason. Plus, you're not on anyone else's schedule and menu. You can stare at the campfire as long as you want, with drink(s) and cigar and eat supper at 10:30pm if you feel like it.

I like hunting with the other guys too, don't get me wrong. They're personal friends of mine. I have told them all, at my age, there's no way I'm gonna stand on the tailgate and fill feeders all by my lonesome. It's hard to accept, but your balance starts deteriorating rapidly over 50 and you don't recover from a fall like you used to. Ain't no deer in the world worth laying there a couple of days with a busted pelvis or some such.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
I hunt and work alone pretty frequently. Just takes a little more focus on safety, but has it's own rewards in the way of quiet and reflection.

I love hanging out with the other guys too, but I'm darn sure not going to let lack of somebody else keep me from going. To each their own.

I tend to be a loner and frequently hunt a number of places alone. Most have decent cell service and the farther-est I could fall would be from the bed of the truck. But the one place out SW from Ozona, the cell service is marginal on top of the canyons and non-existent down in the bottom where I have a tall ladder side feeder. When I am anywhere, I am very cautious of my surroundings but more especially while out west. Key factor is taking a little more time to focus on safety anytime you are out alone.

I do enjoy the camp atmosphere with others, but sometimes schedules just don't work out and I don't let that stop me from one of my passions. Just be safe!
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 10:47 PM

Not many better places to die than while hunting although I'd rather not rush things.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Not many better places to die than while hunting although I'd rather not rush things.

In a blind hunting is my #2 choice of a way to go. laugh
Posted By: bp3

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 11:40 PM

Agree on how remote it is, I was hunting in Brewster county just north of big bend park years ago and got there a day ahead of the other hunters. I had left the jeep and climbed a ridge 1/2 mile from jeep and walked upon a solid 5 1/2 ft rattler. Disposed of him and have never hunted in remote areas alone again. This was long before cell phones were a dream. rifle
Posted By: tlk

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 11:55 PM

I am good alone for 2-3 days - after that I like to talk to someone
Posted By: JCB

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/18/16 11:55 PM

I do it a lot. Back when we didn't have cell service I didn't do it much though.

The way I do it is I always tell someone I will check in with them every night either by text or phone call. If they don't hear from me then they know something is wrong. If my phone quits then I will just have to go to town and make a call from there. If my phone and truck quit at the same time then I guess that just sucks and someone will come looking for me assuming the worse but they will be glad to find I am OK I guess.

I have had 3 pretty bad injuries out at the lease in 20 years but luckly someone was there 2 of those times. The time I was alone was a pretty bad eye injury and driving 5 hours home with only one good eye was a bit tricky.

I don't recommend anyone hunt alone but sometimes you just have to do it. My best advice would be to not take any chances you might normally take if you are alone. And always let someone know where you are going, when you will be back, and check in every day if possible.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

+1 Agreed.

Having someone who knows where to go looking for you when you don't show back up at wherever you spend the night is a basic safety rule. Otherwise, the buzzards might find you first.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 12:52 AM

not so much by myself anymore, especially when it comes to filling feeders and other maintenance. Will do a solo hunt now and then, but the terrain where i hunt is somewhat rugged, so even dragging a field dressed doe out solo can be a challenge, not to mention a mature buck. I like the old Boy Scout rule of a buddy system. Fortunately for me i have 4 close friends, any of which we be at the ranch when I am. Just in case. just this last year I was hiking down a steep rocky hill and hurt my knee pretty bad, couldn't walk on it - my buddy was a few miles away and packed me out LOL. It would have been a slow crawl 4 miles back to camp otherwise.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 01:02 AM

It's a personal question. When I was younger I couldn't stand to be alone. Nowadays I often prefer it.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 01:06 AM

I have a remote lease and our feeders are up to us. I have 3. I think you just need to go slow and use your head. You can't take any risks. I can throw 50lb sacks all day but my bro like 40lbs sacks. Maybe that will help you. Get a good ladder and go slow and easy. The work needs to get done.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 01:32 AM

Prefer hunting alone..but never opposed to hunting with others...its just that not everyone will sit as long as i will..not everyone will be quiet as long as i will...not everyone takes the heat like i will....not everyone likes night hunting like i do...i know i have my quirks and faults so i dont like imposing them on others...and i may be annoyed with theirs.....lol...dang im gettin cranky as i age...lol
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 02:54 AM

I don't like hunting alone. I also don't like drinking alone. I will however do both if there's no one else who can go. I spend the night at my camp in Fisher county alone every other Thursday. I have a sales account out that way and it sure beats staying in the Knox City motel. It's awful lonesome out there but I usually kill a hog and spend the evening putting her in the cooler. I don't worry about hunting alone. The company also likes to buy me a choice ribeye to cook And a 12 pack to drink while I'm out there so that makes it bearable.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 03:29 AM

I enjoy hunting. Period.

Enjoy watching others hunt, enjoy hunting alone and coming back to camp and share a campfire, enjoy hunting alone and coming back to a quiet camp, enjoy traveling and hunting alone...I just enjoy hunting. As far as preference, guess it just depends on my mood.

When I hunt alone, someone always knows where I am and what stand I am in or around.
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Buy an Inreach explorer.

This!

I got one for cruising my boat in remote areas where cell service is rare or nonexistent. Then I realized that the InReach Explorere can take the place of my Garmin GPS PLUS it has a 24/7 monitored SOS capability. Goes in my fanny or backpack whenever I'm out there by myself.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 12:01 PM

Almost all my hunting is alone and that includes elk hunting back home in CO and a backpack Mt Goat hunt there as well. Never been afraid of the sound of my own company and I'm not afraid to go it solo. Spend a few extra minutes thinking about every task to ensure safety and go ahead. When you know that the only person you can depend on is yourself you will take a lot fewer foolish risks. Often groups build complacency because you know someone is there to bail you out of you get careless.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 12:15 PM

I enjoy being on my own. Whether in the mountains or at the lease. I also enjoy hunting with my friends and family. Re-telling stories and just the general camaraderie is worth the time. I have had only one bad experience being on my own, I fell out at the lease while looking for a new stand location. I was knocked out and somehow managed to get myself to the hospital. 7 stitches in my head and a concussion and spending the night in the hospital. I still don't have any idea how I made it there. In those days there wasn't cell phones nor the inreach-type of tool to carry.
All it has done is make me more careful when I'm out on my own.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 12:34 PM

I prefer to hunt alone. I find that the more people you have, the more noise is made, and distractions are created. Seems like everyone always wants to talk or make a meaningless comment. The longest I ever went alone was six days when I backpacked into a Wilderness area late in the season and didn't see a single person. The parking area was empty, and all the opening day/week hunters where long gone. That was a little much for me, and as soon as I got back to my truck, I had to turn on the radio just to hear somebody else say something!!!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
I am good alone for 2-3 days - after that I like to talk to someone

X2
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 01:14 PM

cheers from other posts, looks like your not the only one that huntsolo ... As pappy says: the memories die with ya .... Tis always nice ta have some one ta chat with at end of the day, so feel free ta share...
As U said: Safety can be an issue... Always nice ta have help with the heavy lifting... flag
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 01:36 PM

I hunted quite often by myself in my younger days. I hunt alone now days as well but much less often.

I enjoy sharing my hunting experience with friends and family so much more. I do practice common sense safety measures when hunting alone as have been mentioned. But when I want to go hunting I go, with or without company.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 01:47 PM

I feel that when it is your time to go, the Good Lord is going to call you home. It could be in the middle of nowhere or around the house. Personally, I would just as soon pass on when I am doing something that I love to do and the only down side is that someone is going to try to find my corpse.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 03:27 PM

I'm gonna have to check in to the InReach Explorer. I know that would make my wife more at ease. I often hunt alone because I go when I can go. The last few years I've hunted at a lease alone for 5-7 days at a time with no one in camp (someone by that time would usually show up) and the SW TX lease had no cell service and blinds could be 8 miles from camp. Closest town was a long long way. Just use extra caution.

I agree that when I'm called home it would be good to be while doing something I love like deer hunting. I have been witness to two that were called home to the Good Lord while deer hunting. One was found hugging the base of a tree (not the one his stand was in) with a very nice deer on the ground a few feet away. He was in late 40s and exercised regularly. It is believed walking up to the deer had heart attack from buck fever (no autopsy). The other was a good old hunter on the lease in very poor health but nothing was going to keep him from huntin. Each day/evening that season we all knew it could be his last and it came to pass during one of his hunts while sitting in box blind.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 05:14 PM

I would rather hunt alone. Just me and the dog.
Posted By: TEXASTRAPPER

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 07:15 PM

Please go to the doctor and get a prescription for Don't Be Scared Pills, ignore the dosage recommendations and take the entire bottle. The swelling will subside. I swear.

Oh and let me know if you want to go hog hunting this weekend. J$
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 07:44 PM

I hunt alone quite a bit and actually prefer it that way. Would be foolish to say that some company would not be enjoyed in the evening but that is not a real factor. The thing I am having to learn to live with is age...I can do everything connected with the lease fill feeders etc. but it is harder than it use to be. Fell from a ladder at the lease last year and to a degree I still have a few pains from the fall. To me you don't quit, just slow down and think about what you are doing. Solitude is good.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 08:42 PM

That Inreach Explorer is a good tip. Thanks!

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/19/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Cajunrotor
Buy an Inreach explorer.

This!

I got one for cruising my boat in remote areas where cell service is rare or nonexistent. Then I realized that the InReach Explorere can take the place of my Garmin GPS PLUS it has a 24/7 monitored SOS capability. Goes in my fanny or backpack whenever I'm out there by myself.

It doesn't work near has well for GPS as a Garmin unit. With that said Garmin bought that sector of delome... I would suspect big changes in 2017. I was going to buy a second one but think I will hold off in case the come out with a gpsmap64 type combo unit
Posted By: Erny

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/20/16 01:59 AM

I hunt/camp alone most of the time. I really enjoy the peace and quite. But the area I hunt has good cell service so it does not bother me. Without cell service I would be a little concerned.
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/20/16 01:26 PM

Buy an Inreach explorer.

This!

It doesn't work near has well for GPS as a Garmin unit. With that said Garmin bought that sector of delome... I would suspect big changes in 2017. I was going to buy a second one but think I will hold off in case the come out with a gpsmap64 type combo unit

I haven't even heard of these...I am very intrigued! I will definitely be putting this on my wish list from Mrs. Clause this year...or maybe I'll wait until BOBO gives a review on the 2017 model.....
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/22/16 03:43 AM

If I go to our lease in the hill country I'm usually alone. I like it but I could also be a hermit and be happy. Sure is peaceful to get out by yourself and it just makes it that much more relaxing.

I've never really thought about if it's safe or not. Just enjoy being totally alone away from everything.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/22/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: waverider
I work most weekends, so I end up hunting alone mid-week. I prefer it that way.

Nice first post
Posted By: majekman

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/23/16 12:46 PM

When I hunt alone....I prefer to be by myself.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/23/16 12:56 PM

I have a glass half full view. I try to be safe, but I'm not looking for ways I could die around every corner. I have hunted alone with no issues, but I prefer to hunt with my brother dad and wife, and cant wait for my little boy to be old enough. Same with fishing, I would rather take a few kids fishing than go by myself.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/23/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I prefer to hunt alone. I will admit that it's probably not the smartest thing...

Same.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/24/16 12:22 AM

Did you people ever venture into the scary woods before cell phones were invented?
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/24/16 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Did you people ever venture into the scary woods before cell phones were invented?

Yep, sure did! Also way before mobile meth-labs and tweekers. Animals don't scare me. Some people cause concern.

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/24/16 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: RossCravens
Buy an Inreach explorer.

This!

I haven't even heard of these...I am very intrigued! I will definitely be putting this on my wish list from Mrs. Clause this year...or maybe I'll wait until BOBO gives a review on the 2017 model.....

Ross the good news is I bet they start discounting them at the end of the year. I don't think the will do away with base model (SE) though. I'm speculating on 2017 but the writing is on the wall.

Only reason I don't like the GPS function is because for a true GPS map it bluetooths up with your phone. My phone already does that.

A simple back track($60) has same GPS system. With that said the SOS, family tracking(depending on your plan) and texting is priceless, Not just for your family but a peice of mind for yourself on how things are going at the home front.

But for a peice of mind it's cheap insurance. Very cheap in grand scheme of things.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/24/16 03:23 AM

I prefer to hunt alone - that way no one to blame but myself if I strike out or things go south. Just use your head.

Just got back from 3 days of bow hunting black bear alone and way back in the boonies (no bears harmed - looking for a rug maker at this point but will tag out during the last week with whatever I can get). No cell coverage and 8 hours by canoe and 3 portages from the nearest road. Time like that in the bush alone helps keep my head on straight when dealing with jacka$$es on the job.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/26/16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TxHunter87

I'm assuming a solo backpack wilderness elk hunt is out?
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Hunting Alone Question - 05/26/16 07:34 PM

I won't even think about hunting unless I have at least 35 of my closest friends with me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum