Texas Hunting Forum

Game camera SD card question

Posted By: Cory S

Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 01:20 PM

After you download your pictures off of your SD card do you have to format it or do anything to it or can you just put it back in the game camera and it will be good to go........
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 01:59 PM

Just delete the pics and you should be good to go.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 02:05 PM

Just do a quick format on it...if the camera has a feature to format the card then use it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 03:34 PM

I read on 2 different brand TC instructions, that you should always reformat after downloading/viewing photos, before reinstalling the sdc, supposedly cuts down on dead photo spots IDK, but that is what I do every time.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 03:40 PM

I always do a format via the camera options when I put a new card in. We've had issues in the past with certain cameras where they wouldn't save pics on an unformatted card. It just takes a couple seconds, better safe than sorry.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 03:44 PM

Yep, Moultrie told me to always delete the pics using the camera, NOT the computer. Said you can run into formatting problems otherwise. We had some problems with cards getting corrupted early on, but this process has really improved things.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 04:44 PM

How do you delete from the Moultrie A5? I don't see a way to do it. I'm deleting on my computer and its working ok
Posted By: aeb

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 05:43 PM

I usually have 8-10 cameras going. Pull cards, load pictures on the PC at the house, delete the file with the computer and toss the card back into the plastic box for the next trip to the pasture. Have done it for years with no problems. Never worried about reformatting. A couple of cards have become flaky during that period. They get tossed.

The only "accident" that I have had was when one of my hunters decided to check my card out on his Mac. Not sure what he did but when he put the card back in the camera and rebooted....not good. Camera had a brain fart. Two month old camera went to trash. We had a discussion!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 06:02 PM

I usually have 8-10 cameras going. Pull cards, load pictures on the PC at the house, delete the file with the computer and toss the card back into the plastic box for the next trip to the pasture. Have done it for years with no problems. Never worried about reformatting. A couple of cards have become flaky during that period. They get tossed.

X2 every time for years
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 06:51 PM

I pull cards, download pictures to the PC, and format the card with the game cam when I put them back in. I have StealthCam 42s.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 06:57 PM

If you have a primos you need to format it because the pic trigger will stick and run out the batteries.
Posted By: Cory S

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/18/16 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. Just wanted to make sure I do it correctly. I have a Wildgame Innovations camera...not sure what the model # is off the top of my head.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/19/16 05:00 AM

Quote:

Same.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have cards that I check almost daily. No more than a couple of days. Just delete the 'file' and use again.

Easy.

Select 'computer', right click on the 'drive' the card has initiated, open, delete. Go use it again.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/19/16 01:15 PM

I format the cards one time and that's it. The camera is set to start over when it fills up. All my pics are sent to my cell phone so I don't have to go to the camera unless it's to change 12 AA batteries or move it.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/19/16 01:37 PM

All I have ever done with mine was "Cut" (not copy) all of the pictures, and "paste" them all to my computer C drive somewhere, and I have had zero issues in the past 3 years on two different Browning cameras.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Game camera SD card question - 05/19/16 02:26 PM

I wash mine with mild soap and water and it seems to clean them right up!

(snicker)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum