Texas Hunting Forum

THF Members you have the ear of TTHA

Posted By: BowsnRods

THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/26/16 05:19 PM

I will be the first to say that I had lost all interest in the direction that TTHA and their magazine had gone, but we the members of THF are being heard. I would like to announce that there is a new face that has been added to TTHA, but he is not new to the common folk perspective to what we would like to see in a hunting magazine. Mr. Kinsel is a True Steward to The Great State of Texas and The Wildlife Mother Nature has provided. I have known Mr. Kinsel for going on 20yrs and the values that he has taught his children are the same I share with my son and most who enjoy hunting. Mr. Kinsel and the Staff at TTHA want to hear from us the common folk who live and breath hunting and all that the outdoors has to offer! Please take this opportunity to provide your input on what you enjoy seeing in a hunting and outdoors magazine and please also include what if anything has turned you away from TTHA. TTHA will be watching this post so they can hear your voice and see your recommendations,so please share your views.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/26/16 07:34 PM

BowsnRods, Thank you for being the link between us and Mr. Kinsel at TTHA. For years I was a proud member of TTHA but drifted away when I began to feel that the association was more interested in commercial development than hunting. I understand that profit is the primary motivator to business, however providing a service to the hunting public at the same time is my definition of success in our industry. I enjoy reading stories of hunters that work hard all year to support their families and still sort it out to enjoy hunting. texas cowboy

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/26/16 08:18 PM

For my two cents towards my dissatisfaction of the magazine, and I can only speak for myself. I want to see more stories on the young hunters harvesting their first trophy and allowing their story to remain as written by them and not spell checked and re-worded to appease the politically correct. I want to see more involvement in bow hunting and bow hunting products. I am not a fan of reading a featured story on a pen raised deer harvested by someone wearing an Armani suit. I want to see stories that match the season in which the magazine edition comes out to include fishing. I would like to see a how to section on trapping and controlling predators. I would like to see the magazine assist hunters with a lease finder section. These are only a few things on my wish list that I would like to see in a hunting magazine.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/26/16 08:32 PM

Content from youth, women and first trophies is already there. In every issue actually. Just gets over powered by the advertising
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/26/16 11:54 PM

Too many adds for the breeding industry is what really drove me away.

Not enough diversity of hunting stories in different regions of the state for different species.

Would like to see more articles on firearms and other useful hunting equipment.

Recipes for wild game.

Lower price if half the magazine is advertising like the last one I bought was.
Posted By: batman

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 12:31 AM

Too much attention to artificially grown livestock and calling them deer.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 12:54 AM

I quit receiving any printed hunting/ outdoor magazines, but when I did get them I always enjoyed "how-to" articles, as well as tips and tricks. Anything is fair game, how to shoot bow, pistol, shotgun, rifle, track, process game, build a hasty blind (yes some people hunt on the ground) ect.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, in fact we collectively know all there is to know about hunting anything in Texas. grin
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 12:58 AM

As said above I used to enjoy it as well, but later it seemed like every other page was an advertisement for deer breeders with deer that are so large they look as if they are some mutant deer that was exposed to a nuclear release. I understand that its a free country and respect people's property rights and whatnot, its just not for me

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 01:08 AM

I would like to see more educational seminars at the Extravaganza's like back 20 years ago.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 01:49 AM

Take a issue from 1995 and try and recreate that.

Maybe limit the number of advertisements (whatever they are is irrelevant) get rid of celebrity hunters ( I've killed way more deer than Matt Hughes and probably clay walker and don't care to hear what Ted Nugent has to say)

I've always liked Mike murphys section.

Get more writers.....too few authors are writing all the stories....keep Brandon ray but mix the others up. Too many articles being written about deer off the same 3 ranches. Some of the stories are rather poorly written imo as well. I do like the platinum member spotlight

I could take or leave the kids hunting section....imo turn the magazine back into what it was. I feel that a lot of the articles and info Collums have been watered down. A lot of the info colums (Horace gores article on calibers and bullet selection for instance) was pretty day one stuff. Why publish something like that just to publish it?

I could go on but this is a start

Posted By: tlk

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 01:52 AM

Back when the magazine started highlighting Ted Nugent in its articles is when I began fading away. He has cleaned his act some but at the time he was a foul mouthed "hunter" who I would not let my grandchildren hear or read about. He does NOT represent me as a hunter or a person - maybe he is all for gun rights etc. but to highlight him in your magazine was a huge mistake.

I have nothing against selling ads for a magazine to survive but when the feeling one gets after browsing through is that HF bred deer are the future then the many many native Texas hunters get turned off. Please let me know - what has the magazine circulation done in the past 5-10 years? And honest straight forward answer is appreciated
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Not enough diversity of hunting stories in different regions of the state for different species.

Recipes for wild game.

Come on Marc we both knw the only recipe we need is meat and Montreal seasoning haha
Posted By: passthru

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 02:51 AM

Never cared for them. Always seemed like elitists throwing enough money to pay for what ever sized trophy they could afford. I like a nice set of bone, and will try to kill the best buck on whatever place I'm hunting, but there's more to hunting than buying a line in the P&Y or B&C book for me.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Recipes for wild game.

Come on Marc we both knw the only recipe we need is meat and Montreal seasoning haha

they do have a cooking/recipe section....have for awhile
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 05:27 AM

Real hunts by real people. Not paid hunts on high fence places. I know it is easier to find those stories and hunters. Nothing against them but I could careless about reading this. I took it for a year but stopped when it seems that is all it was. They need to get out a bit to get real stories to post. Of course many of us don't want to post hot spots so they are ruined. Do some research to find hunters. And the deer breeding ads seemed ridiculous. Guess that is a big rev driver.
Posted By: don k

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 11:42 AM

I think they need to have more about Exotics. A trophy is mostly in the eyes of the hunter who harvested the animal. Be it a WT, MD or Exotic.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I think they need to have more about Exotics. A trophy is mostly in the eyes of the hunter who harvested the animal. Be it a WT, MD or Exotic.

More about exotics would get me interested
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 01:21 PM

I feel the same way Don, I'd like to see an Exotic article every month.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 01:28 PM

BowsnRods, some excellent suggestions and comments here. Now lets hear what Mr. Kinsel has to say?
Posted By: therancher

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 01:48 PM

Expanding it to include exotics and other subjects mentioned would be wise IMO.

The name of the magazine is in fact Texas trophy hunters. So I have no idea why folks are so narrow minded that they have to decide what IS and ISNT a trophy for others.

And I'm not a breeder, but if breeders are your primary income stream then I'm at least enough of a businessman to know you can't exclude their ads. It always cracks me up when people decide to hurt themselves over issues THEY have complete control over.

Such as ads. If you don't LIKE an ad, what about ignoring it as an option. Or before TiVo did you folks just stop watching your favorite tv shows if there was a commercial you didn't like?? Lmao.

Not me, I just used that time to go do short chores.

IMO tth might want to do something for their magazine that TiVo did for tv. Allow whiners an easy option to ignore what they don't like. Like put out an issue full of breeder ads and nothing else and cut most of them from the regular issues.

Personally I'd just tell the whiner nannies to GTH. But, I don't need their business and I ain't selling magazines.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 03:02 PM

I like Ted Nugent, I think he's funny and he says things that need to be said. I also enjoy the fact that they DONT talk about fishing. If they keep the shows I will keep subscribing, even though I don't remember the last time I opened one. The journal ends up on the rack at great clips unopened.
Posted By: passthru

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 03:09 PM

Ted is funny. It's just hard for me to take him seriously.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 03:20 PM

I bought the magazine so I could have a sticker for my truck - in high school.

Great logo - that's about all there is though.

The magazine is just ad after ad after ad. I accept that we are in a digital age, that printed word is going the way of the dinosaur, and ads keep the presses running, but it should at least be a 1:1 ratio of pages of content to pages of ads. If I can read the magazine cover to cover, word by word before boarding my flight, its useless. Don't know that I have been on their website since I got rid of the dial-up modem.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/27/16 05:20 PM

I agree with Don K, a section on Exotics would be great!

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
I like Ted Nugent, I think he's funny and he says things that need to be said. I also enjoy the fact that they DONT talk about fishing. If they keep the shows I will keep subscribing, even though I don't remember the last time I opened one. The journal ends up on the rack at great clips unopened.

yes he has toned it down and tries to represent the hunting community - problem is he was way way overboard early on and totally so radical that he did not help hunting he hurt it - he gave anti hunters fuel. Back when the magazine started featuring him I wrote the owner and voiced the concerns with having someone like him represent the hunting community. Anyway it is not my job to figure out for TTH magazine what works and what does not work - end of the day circulation numbers is the gauge
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 01:52 AM

I'd like too hear more from Gary Roberson.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 05:21 AM

Pretty much a dead horse for me, I think TTHA and Jerry Johnston & Horace Gore did a lot to ruin Texas deer hunting. Always promoting high fence ranches and high dollar hunts fueled the fire for more ranch owners to high fence and try to get there share of $3500 and up on a deer hunts.
Most of there articles were on always on a 3 day deer hunt somewhere, was usually some vp of company, or ball player, or judge was the hunter. Never any old down to earth regular ole common folks on a deer lease somewhere. I could care less about them and would never spend another dime to read there magazine
Posted By: JCB

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I would like to see more educational seminars at the Extravaganza's like back 20 years ago.

This was the biggest draw for me. In the last few years I am not sure they have done any seminars at all that I can remember. Use to love listening to Dr. Kroll and watching Mike Biggs photo gallery with his stories. Use to go out there on Friday to look around and then go back on Saturday just for the seminars. Every so often they would even have one of the well known hunting show guys/gals there and it was always fun to listen to their stories about the hunts that a 30 minute episode couldn't cover in detail. Now I only make the trip out there if I need something specific that I cant find around town.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 03:03 PM

I will echo what others have said. This used to be a really good magazine. As a kid, I loved reading about the south texas hunters that had finally taken a deer of a lifetime after years of waiting for a buck to reach maturity. I don't purhase many issues today. When I do, I wonder how many are guys that flew in and shot a stocker buck that didn't even grow up on the ranch. I have nothing against high fences/improved genetics but it seems the magazine has become more devoted to the business of hunting rather than the past time we all love.

I do appreciate the stories regarding management and hunters that have great success due to its practices. I would also like to see more exotic hunts, especially in the spring/summer.
Posted By: ckat

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TxHunter80
I will echo what others have said. This used to be a really good magazine. As a kid, I loved reading about the south texas hunters that had finally taken a deer of a lifetime after years of waiting for a buck to reach maturity. I don't purhase many issues today. When I do, I wonder how many are guys that flew in and shot a stocker buck that didn't even grow up on the ranch. I have nothing against high fences/improved genetics but it seems the magazine has become more devoted to the business of hunting rather than the past time we all love.

I do appreciate the stories regarding management and hunters that have great success due to its practices. I would also like to see more exotic hunts, especially in the spring/summer.

x2. My childhood was filled with looking at the current TTHA Magazines, and back issues that my dad kept from the late-60s through the 70s. My excitement was fueled by reading the 4 highlighted stories in the front from regular old folks and looking through the member photos section, I don't remember what that was called. Call me a nerd, but I loved knowing what rifle, caliber, and bullet they were shooting, and the details provided in the notes. I would have the TTHA Magazine and my Rand McNally side by side to see what kind of [native] deer were coming from what part of the state.

My childhood dream finally came true in 1994 or 1995, when I finally shot a buck big enough to send in my photo. I felt like a movie star (even as a teenager) when that issue finally arrived!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 09:09 PM

[quote=TxBuck]Pretty much a dead horse for me, I think TTHA and Jerry Johnston & Horace Gore did a lot to ruin Texas deer hunting. Always promoting high fence ranches and high dollar hunts fueled the fire for more ranch owners to high fence and try to get there share of $3500 and up on a deer hunts.
Most of there articles were on always on a 3 day deer hunt somewhere, was usually some vp of company, or ball player, or judge was the hunter. Never any old down to earth regular ole common folks on a deer lease somewhere. I could care less about them and would never spend another dime to read there magazine
[/quote
Well said, in my opinion.
Posted By: don k

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/28/16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
[quote=TxBuck]Pretty much a dead horse for me, I think TTHA and Jerry Johnston & Horace Gore did a lot to ruin Texas deer hunting. Always promoting high fence ranches and high dollar hunts fueled the fire for more ranch owners to high fence and try to get there share of $3500 and up on a deer hunts.
[/quote
I mostly agree with what you said. I don't think HF is the the problem but the Deer Breeding is. They have turned getting a really big deer into a joke. Don't kid me most know that especially shooting a Buck with over 200" antlers that deer was not raised in the wild nor were his genes. I also think that the days of the big money for those type of deer is coming to a close. I have seen in the last few years the price of those type of deer go down. Also with more news of CWD I would imagine that buying deer from a breeder is starting to get scary. As stated abover this is my opinion and I am sticking with it. When the money from advertising big deer starts to run out I would think the mag. would see the light and change.
Posted By: rtp

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/30/16 12:42 PM

Arent magazines like newspapers......a thing of the past? I cant imagine it surviving no matter the content. I was a member of TTH for about 12-15 years. I quit taking it around 2005 or 6 because it just didnt appeal to me any longer. Over the years I eliminated all of the magazines I used to take.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 04/30/16 07:27 PM

P
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
[/quote
I mostly agree with what you said. I don't think HF is the the problem but the Deer Breeding is. They have turned getting a really big deer into a joke. Don't kid me most know that especially shooting a Buck with over 200" antlers that deer was not raised in the wild nor were his genes. I also think that the days of the big money for those type of deer is coming to a close. I have seen in the last few years the price of those type of deer go down. Also with more news of CWD I would imagine that buying deer from a breeder is starting to get scary. As stated abover this is my opinion and I am sticking with it. When the money from advertising big deer starts to run out I would think the mag. would see the light and change.

I agree with almost all of this. IMO it is clear to me that the infatuation with shooting an artificial giant deer is waning. Whether this is because public opinion in general is changing, because there are only so many artificial giants those that shoot them can put on the wall, that even those who engage in it are starting to find it boring, or what - I cannot say.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/02/16 02:01 PM

Okay, I will admit that I am a dinosaur. I began hunting deer in the early 60's and could not wait to see the San Antonio Light newspaper on Sunday morning in deer season. There would be photos of several of the big deer taken around country by ordinary folks who were just hunters. There were no deer breeders and VERY few high fences and deer populations were low due to the screw worm fly, but that's another story. It seems that the hunters who consistently killed big deer were genuinely good hunters and I looked up to them.
Today, when I see a hunter holding a really big deer, I am aware that the hunter is probably not long on skills but rather deep in the pocket. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a hunter wanting to purchase a big deer and I am very glad that he can afford to do so...just don't want to read the story about the hunt.
Adios,
Gary

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/02/16 02:06 PM

By the way, I have known Dan Kinsel for many years and consider him to be a fine fellow. I wish him success in turning the TTHA around and will be more than happy to help him in any way that I can. TTHA has been around for many years and was instrumental in the popularity of whitetail hunting in Texas.
Adios,
Gary

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/02/16 02:13 PM

It's a pretty tough go for all magazines these days. When TTHA was in its heydey, reading about the big bucks taken in South TX was a pretty new and exciting thing. Heck, big bucks in general were cool to dream about and see.

Nowadays, not so much. For a whole bunch of reasons, big whitetails are everywhere in the media (TV, internet, and print). It's just hard to stand out from the crowd.

IMO we have been way over saturated with whitetail hunting in the media and folks are just getting numb to it all. One big buck story pretty much looks like every other big buck story and every TV hunt pretty much looks like every other TV hunt. 2cents

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/02/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
By the way, I have known Dan Kinsel for many years and consider him to be a fine fellow. I wish him success in turning the TTHA around and will be more than happy to help him in any way that I can. TTHA has been around for many years and was instrumental in the popularity of whitetail hunting in Texas.
Adios,
Gary

Dan kinsel bought TTHA?

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/02/16 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It's a pretty tough go for all magazines these days. When TTHA was in its heydey, reading about the big bucks taken in South TX was a pretty new and exciting thing. Heck, big bucks in general were cool to dream about and see.

Nowadays, not so much. For a whole bunch of reasons, big whitetails are everywhere in the media (TV, internet, and print). It's just hard to stand out from the crowd.

IMO we have been way over saturated with whitetail hunting in the media and folks are just getting numb to it all. One big buck story pretty much looks like every other big buck story and every TV hunt pretty much looks like every other TV hunt. 2cents

I'll throw in another couple penny's for your post.

I think you nailed it.....deer hunting in general has become boring. It's an over saturated market that is way overhyped.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/02/16 04:42 PM

http://www.fieldandstream.com/pages/their-words-industry-experts-why-hunting-decline

Most of the reasons I see are stated in this article for the decline overall.....when I was a kid hunting was easy around here/close/nearby.....and we all did it. TX population was probably 3 million or so growing up and now its what? about 13 million. Too many people so the prices went sky high knocking out vast amounts of potential hunters

I know there are many reasons but that article has more

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/02/16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: takewhatyoucan64
http://www.fieldandstream.com/pages/their-words-industry-experts-why-hunting-decline

Most of the reasons I see are stated in this article for the decline overall.....when I was a kid hunting was easy around here/close/nearby.....and we all did it. TX population was probably 3 million or so growing up and now its what? about 13 million. Too many people so the prices went sky high knocking out vast amounts of potential hunters

I know there are many reasons but that article has more

Good read thanks for posting it.

Bottom line is, with urbanization, loss of habitat, and the internet age of "instant gratification" - the future of hunting doesn't look promising.

I grew up like you, as did many on here. Very, very few kids grow up that way anymore.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 02:56 AM

I am not sure if ownership of TTHA has changed, the Mr. Kinsel I was referring to as a new face to TTHA is Karl Kinsel
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 03:15 AM

I hope Gary Roberson stays, he writes great articles IMO.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 08:39 PM

I don't think ownership of the of TTHA has changed but Karl will be calling most of the shots from what I understand.
Thanks for the compliment TEXASLEFTY. I plan to stay on board but I will admit that I bad about not meeting my deadline for the articles...seems I am generally off hunting somewhere.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 10:05 PM

I started with TTH a long, long time ago, remember when a gentleman named Kolb went down in a Helicopter crash, never to be seen or heard from again??? What ever happened, he ever show up again.

Lionel Garza was a young man...

I went one year when it was at the Lowes Anatole Hotel and watched Jerry Johnston dog cuss a young Hispanic boy because there was no mustard for his hot dog. Jeeez.

I continued to go to the Ft. Worth Extravaganza (deer Feeder and Jerky show) until the last few years. It is just too crowded and TTH refuses to move it to a bigger venue.

I want more product reviews, new, fresh, faces. Just like everything else, it all goes to people heads and it all about profits

I will watch this thread and look for changes to the TTH.

I too echo all the other complaints and suggestions above
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
I hope Gary Roberson stays, he writes great articles IMO.
up

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 10:45 PM

I will say the shows are pretty cool
Posted By: BMD

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Content from youth, women and first trophies is already there. In every issue actually. Just gets over powered by the advertising

Absolutely they have been very good to Kacee for years. Their is a lot of good stories just have fight through the advertisement.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/03/16 11:15 PM

I would renew my subscription if they included Kacee on their ProStaff and gave her a section in the Magazine titled Kacee's Korner!

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/04/16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I would renew my subscription if they included Kacee on their ProStaff and gave her a section in the Magazine titled Kacee's Korner!

She would do it I have no doubt. She does have a story coming in the new issues on her hunt in Namibia.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/04/16 02:09 AM

I only buy the copies with Kacee in it, otherwise I refuse to waste my time with the deer breeder journal.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/05/16 03:12 AM

I really enjoy the stories written about others personal experience in the Great Outdoors and have even tried my luck writing of my hunts a few times. I think it has given me more confidence and will help me out when I retire next year and continue writing about my hunting and outdoor experiences from younger years and future adventures from growing up in a small town and enjoying the outdoors. Fun Times !

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/05/16 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: A.B.
I only buy the copies with Kacee in it, otherwise I refuse to waste my time with the deer breeder journal.

Thanks and to rub it in on josh a lil I am sure cheers
Posted By: safdm44

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/06/16 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I quit receiving any printed hunting/ outdoor magazines, but when I did get them I always enjoyed "how-to" articles, as well as tips and tricks. Anything is fair game, how to shoot bow, pistol, shotgun, rifle, track, process game, build a hasty blind (yes some people hunt on the ground) ect.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, in fact we collectively know all there is to know about hunting anything in Texas. grin

^ +1

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/12/16 01:27 AM

as I said earlier - you cannot have guys like this representing you to the public - even if what he says is right the impression/perception left with the vast majority of the public is not a positive one - when TTHA started featuring him in their magazine I wrote Jerry a note suggesting to him that this guy was the wrong person to feature -

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/nras-ted-nugent-sparks-yet-another-ugly-controversy

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/13/16 11:55 PM

With over 58,000 THF Members, I would hope that TTHA views the responses given so far and see's what the Common Folk look for in a Hunting/Outdoor Magazine.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/14/16 10:27 PM

Well so far no response from TTHA, on all the coments that were made........
Posted By: Curtis

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/15/16 11:54 PM

I can't comment on the magazine. I don't subscribe and never have.
But I can comment on their Extravaganza. I quit attending them to display my booth because it's become less hunting and more crap. There's too much stuff there that they claim for family that has a better fit at a home show than it does for hunting and outdoors. Every year it's the same thing so for my family to attend the show or my business to do a booth it's just not worth it. I really got tired of being hit up by salesmen that didn't have a booth and wanted to waste my time talking to me about animals they had to sell to stock my place, how they were starting out doing a video for TV, selling me their deer stand or whatever product they had. I mean I am there to sell my stuff am not buy their stuff and especially not from some people that didn't even pay to have a booth at the show. Whenever I mentioned it to the staff, nothing was ever done to fix it. It was so annoying I lost the opportunity to talk to customers because of it. I quit attending in 2009 and I will not be going back.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/19/16 01:48 AM

I am starting to feel like I was invited to assist in helping determine why fewer people subscribe to TTHA magazine then in years past, and now there is some head scratching going on with no response back from TTHA. I guess its time for me to come in out of the rain!
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA - 05/19/16 12:46 PM

I looked at one of there magazines at their show, it just catered to the high dollar breeders, high fence, and equipment. It had nothing for the average hunter. I did buy a ticket to get into their shows, other then that I could care less about their organization.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum