Texas Hunting Forum

Wet ice over dry ice

Posted By: rdhibbs

Wet ice over dry ice - 04/24/16 04:25 PM

I have a 120 qt igloo ice chest, we are going terky / hog hunting over the weekend. Need ice to last from thursday night till sunday mid day. Has anyone used the wet ice over dry ice method, if so how much of each?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Wet ice over dry ice - 04/24/16 04:53 PM

Dry ice on top of water ice. Wrapped in many layers of newspaper. It will get very hard frozen. Might not be a good idea in the igloo, could crack it.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Wet ice over dry ice - 04/24/16 04:55 PM

Get a yeti......bigger blocks of ice will last longer. I freeze tupperwares full of water and place them in the bottom of the coolers, then bags of ice on top of that. Those blocks won't melt as fast and help keep everything cooler.....oh and get a yeti smile
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Wet ice over dry ice - 04/24/16 06:23 PM

Dry Ice under regular ice keeps things cold, lowest layer will stay very cold. Use a layer of cardboard under the dry ice, then put another layer over the dry ice and cover with water ice. To keep meat or other items frozen, put regular ice with frozen food on the bottom, then cardboard between water ice and dry ice on top. Cover the dry ice with a layer of heavy towels.

Worked for me to keep ice and items frozen for over a week. Used about 10 pounds of dry ice for a 120 quart Igloo coooler.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Wet ice over dry ice - 04/24/16 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info guys, i priced a Yeti one time and it literly cost more than the vehicle I derove up there. Us poor boys can't get all the good stuff, though I here they are fine equipment.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Wet ice over dry ice - 04/25/16 12:23 AM

I'm with you in the yetti.

There are a ton of YouTube videos that will answer your question about dry ice.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Wet ice over dry ice - 04/25/16 01:10 PM

Freeze 6 or more gal jugs of water, pack food stuffs then cover with bags of ice. Keep cooler out of direct sunlight.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Wet ice over dry ice - 04/25/16 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Freeze 6 or more gal jugs of water, pack food stuffs then cover with bags of ice. Keep cooler out of direct sunlight.

yep, and the gal jugs make for drinking water as they melt too. I also use the quart size gatorade/poweraide bottles, fill leaving a small air gap, freeze without lid ... replace lid when ready to use.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum