Texas Hunting Forum

Chigger Repellent for Baby

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/22/16 10:00 PM

Guys hoping someone here can help out with some advice...Heading out to the ranch to fill feeders and do some Turkey hunting and Wife and my 10 month old son will be tagging along. This time of year Chiggers are terrible at our place. Looking for any suggestions on the most effective and safest chigger repellent yall have used on your kids
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/22/16 10:12 PM

Is he walking already? If he's crawling, I wouldn't put him down. Check the label on that Swamp Gator stuff (all natural). Some folks use Sulphur in their socks, but you can't put that all over him. Keep both Momma and son out of the weeds as much as possible and your life will be a lot easier. Good hunting.
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/22/16 10:23 PM

Thanks Creekhunter...Not walking yet but he is a crawling machine. Been dying to take him out there and he is finally getting close to the age where he will clearly appreciate what nature has to offer...l know though that if he comes back full of bites then Mamma will not allow him to go back up till winter
Posted By: don k

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/22/16 10:30 PM

I am probably going to catch hell for this but at 10 months he has no idea what is going on. Don't take him and if you do keep him off the ground. Do you remember what you did at 10 months? Don't start something about you and you son with your wife at this early age.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/22/16 10:46 PM

this stuff works well and is safe
http://tasty-yummies.com/2013/07/17/homemade-essential-oil-insect-repellent-spray/

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/22/16 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

And the creator ain't bad neither...(sorry, old man wishing he was younger.)
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/23/16 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
I am probably going to catch hell for this but at 10 months he has no idea what is going on. Don't take him and if you do keep him off the ground. Do you remember what you did at 10 months? Don't start something about you and you son with your wife at this early age.

X2....Many a scientific study states that you cannot remember anything you did or that happened to you before the age of 4. So you are not making any memories for him...you maybe, but not him.Leave him at home but buy him some camouflaged diapers to crawl around on the floor in. That will send a message to your wife that when he is old enough, you and him will become great buddies at deer camp.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/23/16 01:15 AM

It's about family, you idiots.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/23/16 01:43 AM

Avon skin-so soft lotion keeps skeeters away. It won't hurt a baby. Take him with you.

bounce

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/23/16 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: soooo

Avon skin-so soft lotion keeps skeeters away. It won't hurt a baby. Take him with you.

bounce

I forgot about this stuff. A lot of the African hunters swear by it. Good call.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/23/16 02:26 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't. They don't need that kind od misery. And what's he going to do while you are filling feeders? Crawl around having fun with the fire ants and the scorpions? But hey, if you are up for the long nights of miserable mom and baby from chigger bites, go for it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/23/16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: soooo

bounce

I forgot about this stuff. A lot of the African hunters swear by it. Good call.

Any sulfar based soap/lotion works.
Posted By: kk66

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/23/16 03:31 AM

Personally I agree. I have a cousin that lost a leg to a snakebite when he was a toddler as he wasn't old enough to tell anyone he got bit and no one caught the fang marks until it was just about too late. That was always in the back of my mind when I thought about taking my son with me. Now he goes just about everytime I go but I waited till he was about 3.5 and was talking in pretty much complete sentences to be able to say hungry/hot/tired/etc and to know enough not to play with the foot long copper colored worms
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/25/16 01:49 AM

Leave him at home
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/25/16 02:11 AM

Quote:
According to American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) that repellents with DEET are safe to use on kids as young as 2 months old. Though AAP recommends that products for children should contain no more than 30 percent DEET.

Deep Woods OFF has 25% DEET and works well for chiggers and skeeters. I like the dry powder version...less messy.

As for the sulphur option, sulphur is not a great repellent for ticks. DWO with DEET handles ticks as well.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/25/16 02:20 AM

before you spray any chemicals on your baby,, drink a couple of ounces of it yourself --------- if you are unwilling to do that, then dont put it on a baby.,
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/25/16 03:30 AM

When I was a kid (2-years+) my parents gave all of us sulfur pills all summer long. We never had chiggers. For use, ask a pediatrician about methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) and dosage for children.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/25/16 11:36 AM

Quote:
before you spray any chemicals on your baby,, drink a couple of ounces of it yourself --------- if you are unwilling to do that, then dont put it on a baby.,

LOL, that is pretty funny! roflmao
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/25/16 01:27 PM

Leave him at home. Texas in the springtime is no place for a little one who can't speak or walk. The mosquitos are starting to get thick along with chiggers, etc....
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/25/16 04:35 PM

We always used Skin so Soft. It worked great. My two kids were raised playing in west texas pastures.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/26/16 03:25 PM

we use honest company bug spray.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/28/16 03:11 PM

We use the skin so soft wipes with Picardin? in them. They worked really well. I wouldn't want my kid walking around in tall grass but I have no issues with taking them out to the ranch. We took my little girl fishing at 3 weeks and she has been out to the property every weekend since. She wears long sleeves and mom has her covered most all of the time. Here are some pictures from this spring.

Posted By: therancher

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 04:50 PM

It's also about caring about your son enough to make good decisions on his 10 month old behalf. I wouldn't wish a mess of chiggers on any baby.

The facts are: he's only 10 months old. Chiggers are everywhere. He will get them if he goes outside at the lease right now. And he won't get them if you wait until chiggers run their course.

A couple of months isn't long to wait if you want to spare your son some misery.

Of course, you can always say "it's by gawd about family" drag him out there and get him covered with chiggers now, and he'll have no clue it even happened a couple of months down the road after the bites heal.

Yeah, that sounds brilliant. trout

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

It's also about caring about your son enough to make good decisions on his 10 month old behalf. I wouldn't wish a mess of chiggers on any baby.

The facts are: he's only 10 months old. Chiggers are everywhere. He will get them if he goes outside at the lease right now. And he won't get them if you wait until chiggers run their course.

A couple of months isn't long to wait if you want to spare your son some misery.

Of course, you can always say "it's by gawd about family" drag him out there and get him covered with chiggers now, and he'll have no clue it even happened a couple of months down the road after the bites heal.

Ok, I'll play. Since you got on here today with your crotchety hat on. The man posted on here for a chigger repellant recommendation. Apparently, a couple of members on here thought he asked for psychoanalysis. This is what I reacted to. The man is the kid's father, for Pete's sake. If he wants to take his son to the deer lease, that's his own @!#&*! business. But hey, you're always the smartest one in any room.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 06:14 PM

Ok, I'll play. Since you got on here today with your crotchety hat on. The man posted on here for a chigger repellant recommendation. Apparently, a couple of members on here thought he asked for psychoanalysis. This is what I reacted to. The man is the kid's father, for Pete's sake. If he wants to take his son to the deer lease, that's his own @!#&*! business. But hey, you're always the smartest one in any room.
You also called me an idiot for voicing my opinion. Looks like you got me beat in the idiot department creekguy.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 06:53 PM

You're the psychoanalyst I was referring to. Thanks for playing dunk.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 07:00 PM

mattygo --------- you get the prize for stirring things up !!!!!!!!lol !!!!! NOBODY is so stupid to take a newborn baby in such dangerous situations------- they 'bought' it !!! blue ribbon for you !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: BigRon

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 07:12 PM

We use cedar-cide in a spray bottle. I think they have changed the name, but you can still google cedar-cide. It all natural and works sprayed on clothing, boots,socks,etc. If your wearing shorts is the only time I put it directly on our skin, but it has not irritated anyone in the family.

Works great as long as you apply it again every few hours. Get out and enjoy the outdoors with that young-un, we all lived through it just fine.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 10:35 PM

You're the psychoanalyst I was referring to. Thanks for playing dunk.
First off thanks for me not being the idiot you were talking about. As for the other word that I seem to be I have no idea what it means. I guess it could be either good or bad. The Gentleman was asking about chigger medicine for a 10 month old child. I still after being scolded by you think that may be a tad to young to be crawling around in the weeds. If he is staying in the truck there is no reason to be dousing him down with insecticides to keep of parasites. I f he is going to be crawling around on the ground then why not smear axle grease over his entire body to keep off the chiggers, ants, scorpions, spiders, and ticks he may come across. I have not included snakes as there is nothing that will prevent that. Being a "Parent" one of the most important duties is protecting the young. You see it in all animals. Maybe his wife is the smartest one. I really don't care what anyone thinks of my opinions. That is one of the good things about getting old. You could give a Rats A** what anyone thinks.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 11:03 PM

That is one of the good things about getting old. You could give a Rats A** what anyone thinks.

'Couldn't agree more. The young man came on here for an insect repellant recommendation. I don't think you should tell him how to raise his child or tell him he's a crappy parent.

So I voice my opinion as plainly and boldly as you (and a couple of others) do - "If you can't stand the heat..."
Posted By: passthru

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/29/16 11:13 PM

I really don't care what anyone thinks of my opinions. That is one of the good things about getting old. You could give a Rats A** what anyone thinks.

Yeah. No, I've pretty much always been that way. wink
Posted By: therancher

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 04/30/16 03:33 AM

I know what he asked for. My point is that at 10 months a child's skin is really sensitive. Doping him up with cedarcide, off, etc is an un- necessary crap shoot. We are only a month or so away from chiggers being a non issue.

IMO it's a much wiser option to wait a couple of months so the risk of a bunch of bites or reaction to harsh skin irritants is irrelevant.

The idea that "it's family" means you have to make foolish decisions, is silly.

And it's not my fault that I'm always right. It's a genetic flaw.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/01/16 04:57 PM

Creekrunner,,,, by your reasoning, if the young, dumbass ( but well intentioned) father wants to give the kid crack cocaine , that is good with you,,, because he is the father and he should raise his child as he sees fit??? Putting chemicals on a young baby is not a good idea,,, putting a baby crawling on the ground in chiggers is not a good idea--------- please tell us what part you think WAS a good idea ??

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/01/16 10:52 PM

Punctuation is our friend. But you're a little too friendly with it. And it's not liking you back. Let's try grammar instead.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/02/16 02:36 AM

lol -- dont answer,,, good dodge !!!!

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/02/16 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
mattygo --------- you get the prize for stirring things up !!!!!!!!lol !!!!! NOBODY is so stupid to take a newborn baby in such dangerous situations------- they 'bought' it !!! blue ribbon for you !!!!!!!!!!

I guess I didn't realize nature was such a walking death trap compared to relative safety of the city limits.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/02/16 03:44 PM

I'll suggest a compromise: take him but don't let him crawl through the grass and get chiggers.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 04:24 AM

mattygo -------- make a list of good things about taking a baby on the water, in the back of a jeep, like the pics you posted. etc. ------- now make a list of what can possibly go wrong. One list is empty, the other is rather long. Go hang out at the local emergency room for a few hours if you think things cant go wrong. Think about it.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 05:01 AM

I agree with the Rancher! There I said it and I didn't even feel ill about it.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
mattygo -------- make a list of good things about taking a baby on the water, in the back of a jeep, like the pics you posted. etc. ------- now make a list of what can possibly go wrong. One list is empty, the other is rather long. Go hang out at the local emergency room for a few hours if you think things cant go wrong. Think about it.

Dune, the most dangerous part of taking kids out to the country is driving out to the country. Accidental injuries are the number one cause of death with a large number of those attributed to auto accidents. But once you get to the country infants have a lower hospitalization rate than their city counter parts. This is partly due the fact that there are more sources of viruses that affect people where there are lots of people. Also there tend to be more anti-vaxxers in urban areas vs rural populations. There is higher incidence of asthma and breathing problems in urban kids vs rural kids. Don't forget the bug distribution is different in urban areas with humans are the preferred hosts vs rural areas where livestock tend to be the preferred host. Remember there are also creepy-crawlies in the cities as well. We have had mosquitos, wasps, ants in our back yard. Our neighbor has killed a Copperhead, have spotted coyotes on our street... all in the middle of the city. I will take my chances any day in the country vs the city.

But if you can show me how infants are more at risk for life threatening problems by being out in nature vs the city I would be very interested in reading it.

Mosquito distribution

Rural vs urban hospitalization

City anti-vaxxers

Urban vs rural saftey

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 02:28 PM

troll

Any internet forum:

Member A posts: “How do you go about doing x?”
Member B posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member C posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member D posts: “How could you possibly consider doing x. I only do y.”
Member B (or C) posts: “He asked how to do x.”
Member D posts: “You should be committed/arrested/castrated and die.”

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 03:49 PM

Mattygo ------ jeep hits a pot hole and throws people forward, crushing your baby --- jeep has flat tire as it hits the pot hole ( called Murphy's law) and turns over --jeep runs into ditch that you didnt see,,, etc etc etc------- wife is on dock and trips , either falls on the kid, or both go into the water,,, in a boat ---- the possibilities are endless ------ get the picture?? I take chances,, lots of them,,, but there is always a reward for the chances I take ------ there is no reward for a baby, so why take a chance? Again, go to the emergency room and ask people if they thought " that could never happen to me" ---- see how many thought that.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 04:24 PM

How do they raise children in the country? I cant imagine many of them live thru the dangers.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 04:33 PM

Dune, Ok... got you completely and agree with you. But I thought you were referring to things that just occur in a rural environment not that occur in both. Yes, the jeep can be dangerous which is why we only drive about 10 mph in it on a property that I know like the back of my hand. We don't have to worry about pot holes since we keep the roads clear ourselves. But yes in the city when you can't fix roads yourself you should be careful about hitting pot holes. My friend blew out his tire driving down the highway due to shitty city maintenance. It's also the reason you don't see my wife driving... I think I mitigated much risk by just doing that alone. I am more worried about auto accidents when my wife drives the kid to the doctor. Agree completely about the dock... we just happen to have a dock behind our house in the city as well. It's a good think we don't let the baby walk around those areas alone... my sister in law has a pool in the city so we are aware of the risk in such locations as well... that wet concrete sure is dangerous. But if you take your kid for toddler swimming lessons you can also reduce your risk of possible drownings. Boats yes agree very dangerous which is why we don't open her up on full throttle... that little 50 ft-lb thrust really don't get going too fast where I feel out of control. The good think about this little lake though is we only have one other floating deck barge that only has a 40 ft-lb motor so we are pretty safe from being hit by any other boaters. I do get worried about the big boat on Eagle Mountain... there are lots of crazies who live in the city but don't know a thing about boater etiquette. Which is why I don't take the kid out too much in the city.

But yes I agree with you... minimize those risks it's the only safe thing to do. Now thinking about it I am glad you made realize all that I can't control in the city limits vs on our property. I am feeling much better about my choices now.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 04:49 PM

troll

Any internet forum:

Member A posts: “How do you go about doing x?”
Member B posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member C posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member D posts: “How could you possibly consider doing x. I only do y.”
Member B (or C) posts: “He asked how to do x.”
Member D posts: “You should be committed/arrested/castrated and die.”

Thanks for the warning but I think I am ok on this one since I am replying from inside the city limits. I heard those city internet trolls aren't nearly as dangerous as those you find out in rural areas.
Posted By: decook

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 09:10 PM

mattyg06 after all this information you got, call your pediatrician and speak to the duty nurse. They know your baby.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 10:06 PM

Decook, we did ask them what precautions they had for Lilly. You may or may not be surprised to find out they were more concerned with going to the grocery store vs out to the family property. The didn't want us to take the baby in public till she was 8 weeks old and had the 2nd set of vaccinations. They said we needed to be careful around people especially if we didn't know they had the Whooping Cough vaccine like all other members of my family who visit our property with us. You don't want random people touching your baby so you stay away from population centers.

Was there anything else you think I needed to ask before going outside?

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 10:12 PM

matty - 'Something I've forgotten to mention...You have a beautiful family. Keep doin' what you're doin', and ignore the IDIOTS that try to tell you otherwise.
Posted By: decook

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/03/16 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06

Was there anything else you think I needed to ask before going outside?

Nope. You might have read more in my message than I meant. There was no judging in my earlier post.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/07/16 04:51 AM

Am I the only one that realizes humans have made it THOUSANDS of years (up till the last century or so) living more or less outside? Holy crap, you'd think they're going to pripyat by some of the responses.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/07/16 06:00 AM

No, young ones need to stay at home inside. It's not safe out there with the rednecks and the chiggers...God forbid a bug land on them. They say some carry "Chagas" now. Put a helmet on them in case the jeep hits a pot hole or a boat jumps a wake. It could spell instant death for a child. Didn't you know, parents don't know how to take care of their kids? Just keep the small kids at home and rub them with sanitizer if anyone touches them. Can't be too safe.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/07/16 02:06 PM

Dang I raised my kids in the country with all the creepy crawly things what was I thinking. My son and daughter in law are expecting their 2nd child in November better tell them they better move to the city quick. rofl

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/07/16 04:07 PM

lol --------- no one said anything about 'kids' --------- he asked about a baby ------ cant anyone on here read????
Posted By: hornet527

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby - 05/09/16 02:30 PM

this
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum