Texas Hunting Forum

Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one

Posted By: longgunner

Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/03/16 01:53 PM

I used the watch hunting shows quite a bit, but have really backed off due to the Actors (notice I did not say hunters) playing to the camera and how UNSAFE they are with firearms. When I do watch them, it often turns into a discussion with my children of "what not to do".

Does it drive anybody else crazy how you see guys tackle each other and wrestle in joy right next to a potentially loaded firearm? How about how they lay a rifle on the deer in a position where it can slide down and be pointing right at somebody. Why don't you just hold the rifle in your hand? How about how they manhandle the deer with little respect when they find it; almost like a linebacker that just sacked a QB.

Anyway, I did a see a great episode of Texas Trophy Hunters TV the other day called "South Texas Whitetails". It had a former Army Special Operations bubba hunting a low fence ranch is South Texas. He demonstrated "muzzle awareness" at all times. He handed his unloaded rifle to his guide, and then told the guide exactly where he was going to walk in order to avoid a potentially dangerous situation. He treated his deer with pure respect upon finding him.

The funny thing is that this true professional hadn't shot a nice buck in 25 years and he outclassed 70% of the so called professional hunters you see on TV today. It was very refreshing to see a pro in action.

Well Done Sir.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/03/16 02:09 PM

Pard, I agree. Thanks for bringing this up. cheers
Posted By: breadman

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/03/16 06:14 PM

i agree had to stop watching most of them for the same reasons , also the "want-to-be "actors hoping to be discovered ! and the fact that on a 30 min. show you have 10 mins of them driving in there truck trying to be comedians 5 mins of them clowning in the bunk house , and several mins of there ugly mugs right in front of the camera, need i go on ! wish the shows could be more like what they use to be, actuly more footage of the hunt and animals than the people and there stupidity.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/03/16 11:49 PM

agree totally. There are a few that are still high quality in my opinion - Shockey, and a few others - overall it is "Bubba and his Buds on camera - my favorite is when a 2 year old 8 point walks out and they get excited and say "it's a shooter, it's a shooter" - it really is embarrassing for hunters and hunting IMO.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/04/16 12:24 AM

Yep, got tired of the if you don't hunt here or have this hunting product you won't kill a big deer. Also got tired of these fat white guys trying to act like there all big and tuff and hard acting like rappers.. then when cable upped the fee on the outdoor channel I canceled them..... But my favorite of all those shows was Jack Brittingham, he was very professional type of guy I would love to hunt with and love to go to Africa with as well. Just my .02 worth.

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/04/16 01:11 AM

agree Brittingham is professional - and a few others - overall though a joke - BUT somebody must be watching this junk because more and more of these shows come on
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/04/16 02:17 AM

I find it comical that these actors lecture us on "scent control" and then walk out 30 yards from their blind and pour out a bag of BB squared!

By far, the best I've seen in a while is meateater. He is a teacher, is passionate about hunting, has always demonstrates gun safety and respect, is in good physical shape, and he eats what he kills. Pretty good role model for young men.

I'll watch that guy any day over the duck dynasty clown and his grab [censored] buddies sporting ear rings and really goofy face paint. I watched that show a few times, and got kinda sick of all man hugging and stupid interviews.

They must pay those dudes a lot of money. Would not work for me, where I come from, "A man cannot afford to look ridiculous".
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/04/16 02:38 AM

I've stopped watching these shows a couple years ago for the reasons mentioned.

Not a fan of TTH mag anymore. Glad to hear they have a show worth watching.
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/04/16 05:19 AM

I usually watch them as background noise when puttering around my house, better than a lot of other stuff out there. That being said, they get obnoxious and showboat way to much. These days, hunting shows are about killing instead of tips and fishing shows are about how fast they can reel them in and throw them back instead of tips.

I used to watch Jimmy Houston and Bill Dance as a kid. Couldn't get enough of them. Still have Jimmy's autograph somewhere in storage.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/04/16 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: breadman
i agree had to stop watching most of them for the same reasons , also the "want-to-be "actors hoping to be discovered ! and the fact that on a 30 min. show you have 10 mins of them driving in there truck trying to be comedians 5 mins of them clowning in the bunk house , and several mins of there ugly mugs right in front of the camera, need i go on ! wish the shows could be more like what they use to be, actuly more footage of the hunt and animals than the people and there stupidity.

Same here. Shame they can't make a show about hunting instead of being a fool.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/04/16 02:04 PM

Carter's W.A.R. is a pretty good show with excellent visuals. I also like Shockey's show. Most of the others are a let down.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/18/16 09:52 PM

so many are a let down. its a shame that that many incredible animals get killed just for TV ratings. They hop from one ranch to the next, kill a buck of a lifetime for the camera and head on down the road to the next one. I saw one once where a guy wounded a buck, and then actually said on camera that he was going to have to leave this deer so he wouldn't be late the next day for the next place he was filming hunting.

seemingly becomes a waste of a lot of game. these bozos that shoot them all, its not sport or recreation to them anymore. they're not remembered or respected anymore. they're just killed for tv and on to the next.

I always enjoyed the bucks of tecomate show....many of the hunts showcased the management practices on one ranch. the hunts followed the different individuals that came to hunt the ranch. wasn't just one guy travelling all over the place shooting stuff. whitetail diaries is like that to some extent as well.

some of these people are terrible shots. they take whatever shot kills the deer and preserves the head. shoot them up the arse, in the guts, saw larry wiesuhm or however its spelled shoot at one buck 6 or 7 times on camera with one of his pistols before he finally gut shot him. its shameful.

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/18/16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Erich
so many are a let down. its a shame that that many incredible animals get killed just for TV ratings. They hop from one ranch to the next, kill a buck of a lifetime for the camera and head on down the road to the next one. I saw one once where a guy wounded a buck, and then actually said on camera that he was going to have to leave this deer so he wouldn't be late the next day for the next place he was filming hunting.

seemingly becomes a waste of a lot of game. these bozos that shoot them all, its not sport or recreation to them anymore. they're not remembered or respected anymore. they're just killed for tv and on to the next.

I always enjoyed the bucks of tecomate show....many of the hunts showcased the management practices on one ranch. the hunts followed the different individuals that came to hunt the ranch. wasn't just one guy travelling all over the place shooting stuff. whitetail diaries is like that to some extent as well.

some of these people are terrible shots. they take whatever shot kills the deer and preserves the head. shoot them up the arse, in the guts, saw larry wiesuhm or however its spelled shoot at one buck 6 or 7 times on camera with one of his pistols before he finally gut shot him. its shameful.

you know I remember seeing him shoot his pistol at that buck over and over and truth is I think he is one of the good guys. I could not believe he kept shooting or kept filming it. If you shoot and miss a deer or any other animal several times then it is time to stop and put the gun down and go to the range.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/23/16 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I've stopped watching these shows a couple years ago for the reasons mentioned.

Not a fan of TTH mag anymore. Glad to hear they have a show worth watching.
same here
Posted By: jae011

Re: Trophy Hunters TV Show - Wow, finally a good one - 04/27/16 05:39 PM

Jim Shockey.That guy is the man. I get tired of all the whitetail shows. How many shows can we have where someone hunts an outfitted farm in the midwest or south texas. I love deer hunting but come on. Watching someone sit in a deer stand show after show gets old.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum