Texas Hunting Forum

Carrying Weapons Question

Posted By: madhatr02

Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 04:00 PM

Just curious if anyone had dealt with this before.

I am going down to my deer lease this weekend. I will be extending a feeder pen, filling feeders, messing with blinds etc. I will also be turkey hunting and sighting in a few rifles, as well as shooting my new pistols.

One of my foreman has asked to go with me to help and get out in "the country". He is from New York and wants to experience nature.

Here's the catch, I know him well and he has turned his life around, found Jesus, wife, good job etc but back in his early 20's he made some mistakes and is a convicted felon.

Any reason if my guns are in cases and my pistols are in my possession that I can't have him ride down and hang out for a few days?

I am a pretty safe guy but I can just see something stupid like a taillight going out and getting pulled over and police officer getting real curious.

My only experience was several years ago I was hunting and we got checked by the warden. He was real cool and then he found my buddy had left a shell in his shotgun (not allowed in WMA we were in). When the officer went to get his ticket he ran his background and 2 years prior he had a marijuana charge. That game warden's demeanor changed instantly and basically turned my truck inside out, separated us for questioning etc.

Just seeing if anyone had dealt with anything like this before I give him the green light.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 04:09 PM

I've done similar things. What I found out, is their Tim in nature turns into them wanting to shoot guns caught up in the moment.

Just stand firm on rules before you go with him.
Posted By: 2FastR1

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 05:21 PM

I wouldn't chance it.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 05:37 PM

Violent or non violent felony conviction?
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 05:48 PM

What is defined as possession??

I wouldn't leave him alone with the guns and wouldn't let him shoot any. You should be fine.

If you are hunting and he is with you, I think he has to have a hunting license.

Just call a GW and ask. :cinfused2:
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 06:09 PM

I had a guy that wanted to hang out with me while I hunted hogs at night. I told him no to be on the safe side as I knew he had a felony. My answer is no unless I spoke to a LEO that said differnt.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 06:45 PM

My two cents. Go ahead and do the trip with your foreman but dont let him touch any of the guns,or even the ammo. A LEO would have to witness him in the act holding a firearm to charge/arrest him. As for your other buddy with the shotgun,I assume he was legally allowed to possess a firearm? If so I wouldn't worry about the Game Warden's attitude. Let him write the ticket for the shotshell infraction if he feels he must.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: swampthang
My two cents. Go ahead and do the trip with your foreman but dont let him touch any of the guns,or even the ammo. A LEO would have to witness him in the act holding a firearm to charge/arrest him. As for your other buddy with the shotgun,I assume he was legally allowed to possess a firearm? If so I wouldn't worry about the Game Warden's attitude. Let him write the ticket for the shotshell infraction if he feels he must.
Makes Sense
Posted By: madhatr02

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: swampthang

Yeah with the shotgun my buddy was wrong and we had no problem with it I was just referencing how the warden was cool but as soon as he found out the details of his past he immediately switched modes.

Probably won't take him out of concern for him, just not worth it. Maybe one time when I am not taking guns.

Just hate for something unintentional to get a good guy in trouble.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 09:25 PM

That's his problem not yours. If he's not worried about getting caught around or firing guns don't worry about it.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 09:58 PM

There would be nothing wrong with him accompanying you, but he can not handle or possess any of the weapons UNLESS he has had his civil rights restored OR the weapons are antique/curio firearms manufactured on or before 1899 or replicas of the same (black powder).

Perhaps an outing at another time...not involving the firearms would be the best thing.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/29/16 10:13 PM

Most Leos' are bored and will make an issue out of nothing if you give them 1/2 a chance,, hoping it will turn into something real. Just keep that in mind when dealing with them. Their main job is to produce revenue,, not protect the game, people, or anything else.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 03/30/16 12:49 PM

I would take him with me. You aren't breaking any laws. up
Posted By: HS2

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/01/16 04:43 AM

Do your buddy a favor and leave the guns at home for this trip. Take the yankee out and get him to help with the feeders.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/01/16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: HS2
Do your buddy a favor and leave the guns at home for this trip. Take the yankee out and get him to help with the feeders.

X2
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/01/16 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: madhatr02
Just curious if anyone had dealt with this before.

Here's the catch, I know him well and he has turned his life around, found Jesus, wife, good job etc but back in his early 20's he made some mistakes and is a convicted felon.

Any reason if my guns are in cases and my pistols are in my possession that I can't have him ride down and hang out for a few days?

As I understand it, the felon is not supposed to have access to firearms. Ideally,the guns should be in a locked compartment separate from your buddy. Simply in gun cases likely won't cut it. Riding around with firearms inside the cab of a truck would be providing access to the felon who is riding with you...which may get you into trouble.
Posted By: Western

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/01/16 04:35 PM

"Care, custody and Control" is the base line. Allowing him to have "CCC" is a class A misdemeanor for you. His would probably be a 3Feloney and he could possibly face federal charges as well.

CCC can depend much on the circumstances, not worth either of you being in that position, as many already said.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/01/16 05:19 PM

Read this:

http://www.johntfloyd.com/convicted-felons-possessing-firearms-in-texas/ yingyang

Originally Posted By: dune2218
Most Leos' are bored and will make an issue out of nothing if you give them 1/2 a chance,, hoping it will turn into something real. Just keep that in mind when dealing with them. Their main job is to produce revenue,, not protect the game, people, or anything else.

What agency did you get a ticket from? Most LEOs I know will only stop you if you've violated a law.....That's their job! stir
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/01/16 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Read this:

http://www.johntfloyd.com/convicted-felons-possessing-firearms-in-texas/ yingyang

What agency did you get a ticket from? Most LEOs I know will only stop you if you've violated a law.....That's their job! stir

This^^^^^^^^
Posted By: gusick

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/01/16 06:47 PM

Is it your job to do a background check on your friends or hunting partners before you go hunting or shooting? I've never heard of a public shooting range doing that.

When you get a CHL, most people take the shooting test before the background check. Do they get prosecuted for shooting a gun for the test if the background check turns up a felony? Is the instructor expected to run a check before they let you shoot the test?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/02/16 03:06 AM

Spoken like someone with a DWI on their history.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/03/16 02:33 PM

I'd call the game warden and ask. Make sure you log when you called, who you talked to, etc.....
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/03/16 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: gusick
Is it your job to do a background check on your friends or hunting partners before you go hunting or shooting? I've never heard of a public shooting range doing that.

When you get a CHL, most people take the shooting test before the background check. Do they get prosecuted for shooting a gun for the test if the background check turns up a felony? Is the instructor expected to run a check before they let you shoot the test?

I'd like to hear a CHL instructor chime in on this. We did out shooting at the end of our class, I'm guessing after a background check was done, but not sure.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/03/16 11:59 PM

The background check is done by the DPS after you submit your finger prints and proof that you passed the class. The background check is the very last step in the process.

Since the class involves using a firearm, I assume it's a crime for a felon to take the class but I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it. I can't imagine that the instructor has any liability if one of their students fails the background check and I doubt madhatr02 would get in trouble either.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/04/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: gusick

Not really relevant to his question. He already knows the guy is a convicted felon, he didn't ask about doing a background check on him.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/04/16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper

Spoken like someone with a DWI on their history.

He probably has been photographed with a towel around his neck at one time or another.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Carrying Weapons Question - 04/04/16 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
"Care, custody and Control" is the base line. Allowing him to have "CCC" is a class A misdemeanor for you. His would probably be a 3Feloney and he could possibly face federal charges as well.

CCC can depend much on the circumstances, not worth either of you being in that position, as many already said.

There you go again ruining a really entertaining discussion by presenting the facts. laugh
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum