Texas Hunting Forum

What now??

Posted By: Lord of furry creatures

What now?? - 03/25/16 09:10 PM

Ok so for those of us that live to hunt, and who's lives revolve around hunting, what do I do while its not squirrel season, and hogs aren't showing up to the feeder? It's also not deer season obviously, and it's too flooded to fish. Do I bury myself in a hole until my instincts tell me to rise from the grave when deer season gets here? I hate all of these stupid tv shows!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: What now?? - 03/25/16 09:12 PM

Rabbits? Varmints? Crows?
Posted By: Lord of furry creatures

Re: What now?? - 03/25/16 09:14 PM

I've killed out 95% of the rabbits in my area, and we don't have crows here. Hmm maybe I'll give coyotes a run for their money..thanks:)
Posted By: rickym

Re: What now?? - 03/25/16 09:21 PM

Man work on your coyote and raccoon population. They always need work rifle
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: What now?? - 03/25/16 09:55 PM

Turkey?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 01:04 AM

Look for shed antlers. Shoot all the corn buzzards you have tags for. Trap coons and coyotes. Predator hunt.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 02:16 AM

Not a bad time to brush up on your trapping skills. I enjoy going and checking foot traps, snares, and cages. It is as much as hunting when you catch a big bobcat or coyote.
Posted By: HS2

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 04:13 AM

Photography and nature study. I get as much enjoyment out of taking pictures as I do killing them. It takes a lot of the same skill and you can do it all year round.

If all else fails, hunt ticks and chiggers. There never seems to be a shortage of those.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 12:46 PM

Do an Aoudad and an Axis hunt. Axis are delicious. Aoudad are great trophies.
Posted By: JH117

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 03:44 PM

Fishing!
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 04:44 PM

Well in about a month it will be too hot to even be outside so I suggest staying inside in the ac with the wife and practice the art of baby making until September
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 09:40 PM

Got grasshoppers and a Red Ryder? Great fun and good practice. Little early yet for grasshoppers, but once they show up the game's on!
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: What now?? - 03/26/16 11:51 PM

Exotics are what I like to go after in the late winter/spring.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What now?? - 03/27/16 01:00 AM

Stop hunting the pigs at the feeders and get out and walk. Might come across some sheds and might stumble across a sounder or some yotes.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: What now?? - 03/27/16 01:56 AM

[/color]
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Stop hunting the pigs at the feeders and [color:#FF6600]get out an walk. Might come across some sheds and might stumble across a sounder or some notes.

You have a great idea but you lost some of us 68+ on the walk, my wheels aren't in that good of shape. This is a great time to take the youngsters out. They can make a lot of noise, laugh and run, enjoy the outdoors and they are not going to ruin your trophy shot. When they get tired and cranky take them home. Spend a few bucks and buy a decent pellet gun, introduce them to gun safety and start them on the basics. If you don't have any youngster I'm sure there is someone you know who would appreciate you showing their kids some skills you have inquired. Don't forget arrowheads, even if you have to "salt" the pasture.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum