Texas Hunting Forum

thermacell?

Posted By: lubbockdave

thermacell? - 03/13/16 01:14 PM

anyone use one of these to keep the bugs away while camping? are they effective?
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 01:21 PM

YES! As long as it is not really really windy.
Posted By: tlk

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 01:22 PM

totally effective - used many times and they work - I have had mosquitos swarming a deer stand on the outside but not come inside due to thermacell
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 01:23 PM

For example, last summer, Thermacell was able to put an end to the plague of mosquitos that exists on the gulf coast Jetty's every summer and allowed us to have a decent fishing trip.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 01:35 PM

Works well.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: lubbockdave
anyone use one of these to keep the bugs away while camping? are they effective?

Only works for flying bugs and does well with mosquitoes and gnats and such. Does NOT work for ticks! Does not work well in breezes. Does not work well if you carry it with you and you are on the move. Works best if left in a stationary position, particularly if you are stationary as well.

I use every summer and it works well in the stand.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 05:42 PM

I use them all the time, especially in the blind. If I camped as much as I used to I would use them there too.

They do have limitations. I wouldn't think they work very well in the open windy areas.
Posted By: GLC

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 05:51 PM

Best thing on the market.
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 06:50 PM

Work great. Check YouTube for the hacks on the fuel cell and on the pads. They work and will save $$
Posted By: passthru

Re: thermacell? - 03/13/16 06:57 PM

Work great for mosquitoes. Not for gnats.
Posted By: esnow74

Re: thermacell? - 03/14/16 07:37 PM

As said, work great. I think i have 3 of them now.
Posted By: PMK

Re: thermacell? - 03/14/16 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Work great for mosquitoes. Not for gnats.

yep, found this out while dove hunting in San Angelo a few years back ...
Posted By: rjd

Re: thermacell? - 03/14/16 09:01 PM

How long will a fuel cell last? What do you figure it costs you for a season of hunting?

Thanks,
Posted By: tlk

Re: thermacell? - 03/14/16 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: rjd
How long will a fuel cell last? What do you figure it costs you for a season of hunting?

Thanks,

Probably 2-3 hours at least - a "kit" at Academy or Walmart has several propane bottles and the replaceable tabs - worth every penny

Re: thermacell? - 03/15/16 12:35 AM

Fuel cell "advertized" is 12 hours. Last for 3 pads that are 4 hours each. So far that is pretty close to what it does. Not quite sure because I rarely use it for 4 hours at a time though. I normally put a new pad each time I go out.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: thermacell? - 03/15/16 05:47 PM

they do work greaton skeeters but they do give off a oder and have had animals spook many times but i look at it this way, i can crank it up and not get eatin alive or stay home and guarenty u wont see anything to shoot.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: thermacell? - 03/21/16 03:47 AM

Just go get one...youll see....and wonder what took you so long.
Posted By: RRRanch

Re: thermacell? - 04/25/16 03:30 PM

Works great. My biggest problem is remembering to turn it off when you come inside or leave the area where you are using it and use up your fuel cell for nothing.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: thermacell? - 04/25/16 09:32 PM

You'll love it. They get hot though. I used to put mine in my pocket until it burned me some. Now I have a pouch that it goes in on my belt. Works perfectly now.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: thermacell? - 04/26/16 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
YES! As long as it is not really really windy.
If it is a little windy just make sure you put it up wind. I used mine all weekend out in West Tx and it worked great.
Posted By: NOLA101

Re: thermacell? - 04/28/16 02:34 PM

I love mine. Does a great job
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: thermacell? - 04/28/16 03:15 PM

Has anyone compared this to the Off clip on mosquito repellent?

Re: thermacell? - 04/28/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Has anyone compared this to the Off clip on mosquito repellent?

If you are referring to the one with a little fan it it , yes. It did not work as well as the thermacell and the fan could be heard pretty easily so for bow hunting it would not work.
Posted By: jae011

Re: thermacell? - 04/29/16 10:47 AM

thermacel, worth every penny!
Posted By: nak

Re: thermacell? - 05/03/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Murphscout
Work great. Check YouTube for the hacks on the fuel cell and on the pads. They work and will save $$

I tried the fuel cell hack. There is an orifice you have to drill out in order to fill it quickly. I did this to 4 fuel cells and three out of the four valves did not leak afterwards. Not a bad ratio. I have refiled the modified ones a couple of times.

BUT...

That orifice seems to be needed. You can light the thermocell and all appears normal, but if you watch closely, the brand new pad will smoke a little more right at first and will turn white and then discolor a in about half the time that it takes a new cell to do. I am taking this to mean that the Thermocell is burning hotter than it should, producing a stronger, but shorter liked affect.

I noticed ill effects on the thermocell itself. The outside case does not feel dangerously hot. The only concern I have is that it might get hot enough to weaken the the plastic cell...that might get exciting.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: thermacell? - 05/10/16 07:10 PM

Im not sure what you mean by "drill out" the check valve...i pull out the main valve then take a screw and screw it into the check valve ....then pull out the check valve ....then push the main valve into place till it clicks..easy peasy...just have to do some adjustment on the stem of the gas bottle....thats the bummer.
Posted By: Tejano0369

Re: thermacell? - 05/11/16 12:52 AM

Check out the camping section at Wal-Mart. Look for a therma-cell lantern. I can't find the one I'm talking about on the web site, but I've bought them at the store. They're about 4-5 inches high and use the same therma-cell repellant. And they are only about 1/2 the price. And yes, they work.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum