Texas Hunting Forum

Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED

Posted By: BrianCook_RanchSales

Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/07/16 11:02 PM

My buddy and I had an idea of starting a business of helping out hunters and ranchers. From moving things to a new lease (blinds, feeders, etc..) or helping you set those things up on your ranch or lease. I wanted some oppinions on the idea. I'm not sure if there are business' like this in place already, Just looking for some feedback! Much Appreciated!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/08/16 01:07 AM

Had a friend did this for about 10-12 yrs. He had a trip charge and hourly/daily rate while on the ranch/lease working. A lot of how well it will work is your location in the state.

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/08/16 01:28 AM

I was thinking of it more as a side job. Was this his main job? did he do well? If you don't mind me asking, or if you even know

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/08/16 01:32 AM

It was his main job and he did well. He worked the area southwest of San Antonio. Had a handful of regular landowners and lease group hunters that he worked for. Since he was working alone and close to the border at times, the illegal traffic caused it to get a bit more dangerous on a couple of places.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/08/16 11:30 AM

Man That sounds like a Great plan that would tend to pay better in the fall

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/08/16 01:43 PM

It pays better in the off-season than in the fall. Hunters/landowners do most of the work in the season and do not want as much traffic while hunting. Most are feeding protein, so they fill feeders as needed in the off-season. Corn feeders are a routine fill. Water in troughs needs checking weekly or so depending on rainfall. Camps need checking weekly or so. Snaring and trapping of predators, shredding, plowing/planting, checking fencelines, checking cattle, working cattle, etc are all part of the types of work done.
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/12/16 07:24 PM

I like this idea!!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/13/16 02:59 AM

welcome ta texasHf ... Think its a good nidea Economy gonna be the biggest factor... As pappy once said: thars three class of hunters, High class, Middle class & Low class ...
2cents When i had deer lease, low class income could barely afford the price of the deer meat ... $200.00-$250.00 a year, tops for lease, an that was in the good years... Had work truck ta move stands & feeders & was family group we had workdays set up...
Middle class would be the ones ta target, & from what can understand times tis tough do ta economy.... & the upper class can afford them thar new trucks & trailers & such...
When reading meters we used our own trucks, or car, we got payed a few scents per mile, that barely covered millage, none for wear & tear You'ld have ta figure in your time, & in wet weather like this, you could be held responsible for ruts made on property... Insurance on your truck for transporting... might not be type feed back ya wanna hear... Best Wishes flag
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/14/16 08:37 PM

I don't know if this is a part of your angle or not but I suspect this would be a good idea to make connections for possible leases and various types of hunts. Rubbing elbows, regardless of how it happens, can't hurt.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/14/16 08:53 PM

I did this type work for couple years as favor for friend on ranch south of Midland. He was up in Missouri farming and it was rifle hunting property, I mowed yard at lodge, cleaned dog kennels(8-10 dogs), got feeders in shape and filled when time was near, built some ground blinds and maintained rifle stands. Didn't make money but through summer till archery season it was a entertainment and getting to know the land but come October I was only person out there archery hunting on about 6-7 sections! Had that month to myself then late in season if no clients coming in I could come out and take a buck. I miss that arrangement!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/16/16 08:45 PM

cheers miss my ol spot behind the house, it finaly went 4 deer county in 2010 i think... seen several nice legal bucks, too busy piddlen with camera or just right at dark-thirty, they mostly went nocturnal... enjoyed the pics of wildlife on cams... flag
Posted By: daulongranch

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/22/16 07:44 PM

This might also be a way to break into outfitting hunts...do the work, network with ranchers/hunters, start booking hunts.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/23/16 06:09 PM

I would think it would work. Sounds like a combination of hot-shotting, contracting, and ranching. In other words, fun.

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/26/16 06:16 PM

Does anyone know of any buisnesses in place who are already doing this?

Re: Ranch Work Help- FEEDBACK NEEDED - 03/26/16 06:27 PM

There are some feed stores in South, West and Central Texas that offer filling of feeders.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum