Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Photo Controversy

Posted By: BradyBuck

Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/25/16 10:45 PM

Excellent Read!!

http://honest-food.net/2016/02/25/hunting-photo-controversy/
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/25/16 11:35 PM

Good grief. Some people need to get a life.

BTW, that website is one of my favorites.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 12:15 AM

I'll read the rest later, but his point about Zuckerberg killing his own food and publicizing it on FaceBook is such a great counter point. I haven't deactivated my account but I never check it anymore. FB sucks and things like this add to the list of reasons I need to finally deactivate my account.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 12:59 AM

Seems like wasted brainpower to me. Paralysis by analysis. It's hunting - photos with the animals taken are just part of the deal. Sensitive ninnys don't have to look and be traumatized.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 01:18 AM

This is why I rarely go on my facebook page any more.

As far as caring what the public thinks about my hunting pictures, they can choose to look away or kiss my a$$. up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 02:20 AM

Maybe they need a safe space without dead animal photos so they can feel better and not be offended....
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 03:46 AM

Sounds like the employee could be trained better in how he says it is not in compliance with pictures used in paid ads. I would report the employee.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 01:32 PM

That sucks big time. sorry they are treating you that way.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

As far as caring what the public thinks about my hunting pictures, they can choose to look away or kiss my a$$. up

My cousins post dead hog and deer and predator photos constantly without any issues from FB. confused2
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
My cousins post dead hog and deer and predator photos constantly without any issues from FB. confused2

The reason is the sheer number of users and how many post pictures. It's difficult to manually police (which is what they are doing - how they go about this is largely driven by reports from users and then following the trail from one user to their friends) all of the activity and automating recognition of what's unacceptable or against policy vs what is ok is very challenging to say the least.

Though not about dead animal pictures the following article relates to us "gun types"...

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/2/22/are-friends-outing-hunters-on-facebook/

I really wish social media such as Facebook and Twitter would die and do so soon and quickly.

-Mickey
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 03:54 PM

he probably has his security setting set up pretty tight.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Maybe they fall under the "East TX" exception. smile
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

I really wish social media such as Facebook and Twitter would die and do so soon and quickly.

-Mickey

There would be weeping and gnashing of teeth, though not from me. I'd throw a party to celebrate.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 04:38 PM

That's like FB Rivercrest, the monitoring authorities don't care what goes on and are a little scared to check it.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 04:39 PM

I read somewhere that some researcher predicts that Facebook will lose 80% of it's users by 2017. I believe it. I've never even opened an account. It just didn't appeal to me.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I read somewhere that some researcher predicts that Facebook will lose 80% of it's users by 2017. I believe it. I've never even opened an account. It just didn't appeal to me.

if its not facebook it will be something similar, teenagers and most women CAN NOT function without social media.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

-Mickey

There would be weeping and gnashing of teeth, though not from me. I'd throw a party to celebrate.

I'll bring the beer to your party. cheers
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 05:43 PM

hope ya don't loose your job over it... Was doing my job, when caught up went helped in other departments, then injured my back... Filed workmans comp.. Thought it was Gov aid ta hep low income people... Got Terminated over it... Twa before the Obamascare ... Gov. been spying on me ever since reports of alien body parts .... Tis a tough world we live in... dont do no good ta complain, still denied disability... flag
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

if its not facebook it will be something similar, teenagers and most women CAN NOT function without social media.

Social media is here to stay. It will change and grow of course. The THF is social media by the way.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 06:05 PM

I will argue my stances on threats to hunting as much as anybody. As you all know. smile

But I am increasingly seeing more and more "touchy-feely" PC stuff from serious hunters and conservationists that basically concludes that, as hunters, we should almost be ashamed of what we do instead of being proud of our hunting heritage. IMO this is a prime example. Shane Mahoney just penned an article in Sports Afield suggesting that as hunters we quit using certain words lest we offend.

Just seems many are crossing the line between what truly may paint hunters in a poor light vs. what is instead outright denial/shame about the fact that the essence of hunting is to seek and kill animals.

Apologizing for being a hunter is a very slippery slope.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 07:00 PM

Many hunters aren't connected to hunting, these days. They're city people that hunt as a hobby. Killing is a means to an end. They don't eat what they kill. They don't even clean it. That part isn't fun, so they don't partake. When you are that far gone, what difference does it make to that person what terms are used? If that makes a conversation easier, then why not?

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 07:02 PM

Many hunters aren't connected to hunting, these days. They're city people that hunt as a hobby. Killing is a means to an end. They don't eat what they kill. They don't even clean it. That part isn't fun, so they don't partake. When you are that far gone, what difference does it make to that person what terms are used? If that makes a conversation easier, then why not?

Boy, you hit that nail on the head. See it every day.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 08:32 PM

I hate the word harvest. Unless it's being used by a farmer about his crops. It has no place in hunting dialogue.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
I hate the word harvest. Unless it's being used by a farmer about his crops. It has no place in hunting dialogue.

Exactly. To be ashamed of the word "kill" is to be ashamed of what we do.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/26/16 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
To be ashamed of the word "kill" is to be ashamed of what we do.

I agree.

Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 02:46 AM

Reminds me of my uber wealthy, tree-hugging, anti hunting, "animal rights" (quotes for a reason) loving cousin who constantly looks down her nose at anyone who's ever killed anything....or even drives a pickup for that matter....like they're the underclass. Her wedding a couple of summers ago was awesome though. They served a smorgasbord of prime rib, pulled pork and bacon-wrapped quail.

The quail was the bomb. Of course after congratulating her on the nuptials, I thanked her for her choice of a menu.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 03:34 AM

I'm not saying I prefer the word harvest over kill, but it's still an acceptable use of the word harvest, going by the definition.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 07:40 AM

Y'all did read the link right? This was about a paid ad with a dead animal. We can post all the stuff we shoot just fine there with no issue. It is their choice what paid ads show. That was all this was about. Guess they don't want their algorithm to show it to some sensitive type.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

I'm not saying I prefer the word harvest over kill, but it's still an acceptable use of the word harvest, going by the definition.

TPWD has you fill out Harvest Logs or Data on deer killed on MLD properties.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 01:51 PM

I call it the Kill Journal. grin
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 01:52 PM

I kill deer to fill in the harvest data/log.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 03:43 PM

I kill animals. I harvest crops. It's that simple to me, just like it has been for everybody I've known until the PC virus came along.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 04:10 PM

Says the man with 5800 posts on a social media site.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Y'all did read the link right? This was about a paid ad with a dead animal. We can post all the stuff we shoot just fine there with no issue. It is their choice what paid ads show. That was all this was about. Guess they don't want their algorithm to show it to some sensitive type.

Yep!

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

clap

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

clap

popcorn been on here less & almost double the posts bang i spend way too much time on here.... flag
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 06:15 PM

Great read, thanks for sharing.

This is what happens when men cease to be men. Traditional beings are forced to defend their values, their culture, and their heritage. Factions of man should let other factions live as they please and to live freely themselves. Only within a faction must judgement and critique be found.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 07:13 PM

SMH. All this time I thought meat came from the grocery store.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/27/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

That's like FB Rivercrest, the monitoring authorities don't care what goes on and are a little scared to check it.

Lol

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Great read, thanks for sharing.

This is what happens when men cease to be men. Traditional beings are forced to defend their values, their culture, and their heritage. Factions of man should let other factions live as they please and to live freely themselves. Only within a faction must judgement and critique be found.

Very profound! Who are you and what did you do with Little Chit?

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 06:35 AM

I kill animals. I harvest crops. It's that simple to me, just like it has been for everybody I've known until the PC virus came along.

That's fine with me, I'm just pointing out the definition of the word harvest. Doesn't seem like something to split hairs over when the definition is readily available.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 11:42 AM

That's fine with me, I'm just pointing out the definition of the word harvest. Doesn't seem like something to split hairs over when the definition is readily available.

Harvest implies the animal was killed to provide a meal, rather than just killed like a rat as a nuisance. So I can see why someone who shoots a deer deer mostly for its antlers might take offense with the word "harvest". Personally, I like to say that I harvest or "take" deer and kill fire ants.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 01:15 PM

So I get to be the one to point out the comparison/analogy to NP?

Whut, y'all afraid?

NP, you draw the line at hunters yielding to social pressure and apologizing for hunting, adjusting their behavior and language to keep other hunters and the public from "looking down/forming a bad opinion" of us.

And then, you lose your own mind over hunters who won't give up their chosen methods to meet your and other anti HF hunters and the publics need to "clean up" hunting.

Now, I know you'll deny the analogy, but it's pretty obvious to most.

Back on topic, I also find it funny that some folks here are going nuts over one form of social media, while using a similar one..

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

Whut, y'all afraid?

NP, you draw the line at hunters yielding to social pressure and apologizing for hunting, adjusting their behavior and language to keep other hunters and the public from "looking down/forming a bad opinion" of us.

And then, you lose your own mind over hunters who won't give up their chosen methods to meet your and other anti HF hunters and the publics need to "clean up" hunting.

Back on topic, I also find it funny that some folks here are going nuts over one form of social media, while using a similar one..

I do deny the analogy. One topic regards apologizing for hunting itself, while the other regards a discussion about what is hunting and what is not. In both cases I am defending hunting. And I am not alone - which begs the question as to why you constantly call/single me out other than just to start a fuss.

It is true I draw the lines differently than you. Actually,from reading your posts,it seems that you have no lines. You hate game wardens/laws, love any method as long as an animal dies, bait quail with corn and skillet shoot them on the ground, etc.,etc.,etc.

I guess life is easy when you have no lines, but IMO easy is not always best.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Harvest implies the animal was killed to provide a meal, rather than just killed like a rat as a nuisance. So I can see why someone who shoots a deer deer mostly for its antlers might take offense with the word "harvest". Personally, I like to say that I harvest or "take" deer and kill fire ants.

Ok, guys. Call it whatever you want. I'm just saying it's right there in the definition of harvest. The taking of an animal for human consumption or use. Harvest.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Ok, guys. Call it whatever you want. I'm just saying it's right there in the definition of harvest. The taking of an animal for human consumption or use. Harvest.

scratch as in Harvest the crops & kill the weeds flag

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 04:32 PM

Whut, y'all afraid?

I simply don't like Facebook. I never said anything about social media in general. A person can dislike a Dodge without disliking all vehicles, since you seem fond of analogies.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 11:01 PM

Whut, y'all afraid?

I simply don't like Facebook. I never said anything about social media in general. A person can dislike a Dodge without disliking all vehicles, since you seem fond of analogies.

Love analogies. However, do you wish dodge vehicles went extinct thereby denying others their choice in vehicles? Because that would be analogous.

-Mickey

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/28/16 11:09 PM

Whut, y'all afraid?

I do deny the analogy. One topic regards apologizing for hunting itself, while the other regards a discussion about what is hunting and what is not. In both cases I am defending hunting. And I am not alone - which begs the question as to why you constantly call/single me out other than just to start a fuss.

It is true I draw the lines differently than you. Actually,from reading your posts,it seems that you have no lines. You hate game wardens/laws, love any method as long as an animal dies, bait quail with corn and skillet shoot them on the ground, etc.,etc.,etc.

I guess life is easy when you have no lines, but IMO easy is not always best.

I choose to HUNT quail and other animals in HFs legally. You would deny me that privilege.

So yes, the analogy isn't perfect. You are opposed to somebody merely apologizing for killing animals the way you do, yet you would totally deny others their chosen legal method of hunting if it doesn't pass your muster.

The analogy isn't perfect because your views are much more dogmatic.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/29/16 12:29 AM

Whut, y'all afraid?

Love analogies. However, do you wish dodge vehicles went extinct thereby denying others their choice in vehicles? Because that would be analogous.

-Mickey

Yes. People don't know what's good for them. grin

I happen to like analogies, too, for the record.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/29/16 03:24 AM

I believe a problem with hunting in Texas at least are a manifestation of attitudes displayed in forum postings we all have seen.

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/29/16 04:29 AM

Whut, y'all afraid?

-Mickey

Yes. People don't know what's good for them. grin

I happen to like analogies, too, for the record.

Mean. Mean ol meany!
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/29/16 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

clap

So what's your point? Did I say it was wrong? I merely said it isn't going away. And if my .3 posts per day qualify me to be a teenager or woman, so be it.

I like the effort though.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/29/16 06:15 AM

I should have known HFs would find there way into this discussion somehow.....

I really enjoy reading a lot of Hank's stuff. If you've never read his article "The Hunters Paradox: Loving What You Kill" you need to check it out.

He offers some insightful perspective and is able to put into words exactly how I feel about a lot of things hunting related.

Here is the link to the other article I mentioned. I know it's been posted before but if you haven't read it you should.
http://honest-food.net/2013/09/16/hunter-loving-what-we-kill/
Posted By: HS2

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 02/29/16 09:17 PM

It is frustrating for me when I see someone get all upset over seeing a dead animal after it's been shot. What do these people think happen to animals in the wild? They must not think at all about how animals die. Do they realize what it is like to starve to death in the winter? Get chased down and chewed to death by coyotes? Have the young yearlings trampled to death by hogs? Sure, seeing the sight of blood is disturbing for a lot of people, but get real.....a quick death by gunshot is the most humane way for an animal to die. Plus feral hogs are vermin, a scourge to the landscape that needs the population reduced. How do they expect this to happen without animals dying?

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 03/01/16 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: HS2
It is frustrating for me when I see someone get all upset over seeing a dead animal after it's been shot. What do these people think happen to animals in the wild? They must not think at all about how animals die. Do they realize what it is like to starve to death in the winter? Get chased down and chewed to death by coyotes? Have the young yearlings trampled to death by hogs? Sure, seeing the sight of blood is disturbing for a lot of people, but get real.....a quick death by gunshot is the most humane way for an animal to die. Plus feral hogs are vermin, a scourge to the landscape that needs the population reduced. How do they expect this to happen without animals dying?

Couldn't agree more. Ma nature is a sick twisted b***h.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Hunting Photo Controversy - 03/01/16 09:56 PM

Good read. And one of the reasons I joined THF. Can post all the trophy pics I want here, and have like minds comment. I do very little on facebook, and wouldn't open myself up to idiots commenting on hunting or fishing pics. Not worth the stress.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum