Texas Hunting Forum

Rattlesnake Wrangling

Posted By: Mrs. Mahan

Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/01/16 03:56 PM

So I've noticed there's not a lot of talk about rattlesnake hunting. Every year we catch them for the Mangum Rattlesnake Derby in Mangum, OK. Anybody else do any rattlesnake hunting?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/01/16 04:04 PM

Sometimes, but I just like to eat them.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/01/16 04:07 PM

oh H3LL no!!!
Posted By: Kory

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/01/16 04:17 PM

hell no no no no. im out
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/01/16 04:23 PM

Great video, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: LG

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/01/16 05:15 PM

I would need a longer stick..............
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 12:09 AM

this time of yr is the best eating
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 02:00 AM

Only to relocate them...leave 'em where they are if I can....move 'em if I need to....won't kill one....
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Only to relocate them...leave 'em where they are if I can....move 'em if I need to....won't kill one....

Hunted them for many years selling to the roundups and research center in Kingsville, now I just kill everyone of the damn things I can.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 02:11 AM

Never used catchers that long, 4 ft max.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 02:34 AM

Not me, all snakes are deadly. I'll kill myself getting away from one. walking
Posted By: KG68

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Back in the day I could hear and see them. grin
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Great video, thanks for sharing.

X2
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

They don't make one long enough to get me to play!!!!
Posted By: kry226

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 02:01 PM

I want someone to come out to my place and clean off every rattler they could find. scared
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 03:13 PM

Great video, looks like a target rich environment.

I have done my share. Have always enjoyed catching them, but have slowed down over the years.

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 05:46 PM

Those are some good ones. What did you do with them?
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 06:03 PM

Looks like target practice to me. rifle
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
I want someone to come out to my place and clean off every rattler they could find. scared

Where are you? I could make some arrangements. Do you know where the den is, please PM me.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Mahan
Those are some good ones. What did you do with them?

We sold some, relocate some and ate a couple. We used to hit the dens a lot and had a couple of large groups we would pull out from under the owners house.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/02/16 11:20 PM

Posted By: kry226

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/03/16 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Skylar@SWFA

Where are you? I could make some arrangements. Do you know where the den is, please PM me.

PM sent, Skylar.

Originally Posted By: KG68

eeks333
Posted By: JGreys0n

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/07/16 02:18 PM

no way
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/07/16 06:02 PM

Yes, caught some alive and shot many more. Easy to tan and pretty good to eat.

Here is a good tanning recipe: Cut off the head behind the venom sacs (Bury the head in the ground deep), split down the belly leaving the rattles attached, flesh the skin a spoon works well, use upholstery tacks to stretch and tack down the skin to a board flesh side up, coat well with 50% glycerin 50% rubbing alcohol (both from the drug store), wait 24 hours, turn the skin over re-tack and coat that the scale side, do these two procedures twice. Wash it off, let it dry and you have a supple tanned snake skin.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/07/16 06:14 PM

id love to go on a round=up someday
Posted By: victor454

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/07/16 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
id love to go on a round=up someday

Here you go.
http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net/calendar-of-events1.html
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/07/16 07:53 PM

Yeah, no thanks.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/07/16 10:46 PM

No thanks but I like it barbequed. up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/07/16 11:09 PM

Texas Rattlesnake Festival. Conroe Texas March 12 & 13. Presented by Rattlesnake Conservation League

"We are dedicated to the conservation of Rattlesnakes and their environment. Our goal is to develop an understanding of the benefits these magnificent animals provide!"

A family friendly "No Kill" event
* Guest Speakers
* Children's activities
* Live Rattlesnake Displays

Lone Star Convention & Expo Center
9055 Airport Road, Conroe, TX 77303

Sat 9am - 5pm
Sun 10am - 4pm
Posted By: aclaimsman

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/08/16 01:16 AM

Here is a good tanning recipe: Cut off the head behind the venom sacs (Bury the head in the ground deep), split down the belly leaving the rattles attached, flesh the skin a spoon works well, use upholstery tacks to stretch and tack down the skin to a board flesh side up, coat well with 50% glycerin 50% rubbing alcohol (both from the drug store), wait 24 hours, turn the skin over re-tack and coat that the scale side, do these two procedures twice. Wash it off, let it dry and you have a supple tanned snake skin. [/quote]

Used this recipe several times, it is a good one.
Posted By: Redskins4ever

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/10/16 11:04 PM

nice video just can't stand them
Posted By: esnow74

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/13/16 02:37 PM

NO THANKS
ALL SNAKES ARE "COPPER HEADED RATTLE MOCCASINS" me no likey!
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/18/16 03:14 PM

I relocate them to a different world.

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/28/16 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: esnow74
NO THANKS
ALL SNAKES ARE "COPPER HEADED RATTLE MOCCASINS" me no likey!

roflmao
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/28/16 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Texas Rattlesnake Festival. Conroe Texas March 12 & 13. Presented by Rattlesnake Conservation League

"We are dedicated to the conservation of Rattlesnakes and their environment. Our goal is to develop an understanding of the benefits these magnificent animals provide!"

A family friendly "No Kill" event
* Guest Speakers
* Children's activities
* Live Rattlesnake Displays

Lone Star Convention & Expo Center
9055 Airport Road, Conroe, TX 77303

Sat 9am - 5pm
Sun 10am - 4pm

^^^^^^^ Now we're talking! No need to kill them...in this environment. There ARE times when their numbers need to be controlled and certainly if they present a threat to humans, pets, livestock etc...

But generally speaking, they are beneficial.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/28/16 10:08 PM

I was hunting the Aransas NWR once. The place is covered in rattlesnakes. On the hunt, you are allowed to kill deer and feral hog ONLY. They will also let you swat some mosquitoes, but that's it. They are very clear on that.
Some bonehead on the hunt saw a big rattler in a ditch, killed it, and then brought it up to the check station to show everyone. His hunt was then over. He was told to leave the refuge, never come back, and was given a pretty steep financial incentive to not do that again.

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/28/16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Me too! When some of my Yankee inlaws come down, I'll go get a couple down in the salt marsh and make chili. They love it!
I don't catch them though. I shoot em with my son's .410

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/28/16 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Me too! When some of my Yankee inlaws come down, I'll go get a couple down in the salt marsh and make chili. They love it!

You have that chili recipe? food

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/28/16 11:41 PM

Don't tell anyone, but I cheat on it big time. I just use onion, garlic, a McCormick chili packet, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of black beans (optional), and a can of chipoltes in adobo sauce chopped up. I use one of each for each pound of rattlesnake meat.
I partially freeze the rattlesnake meat and then chop it up fairly fine. Chop the onion and garlic. Brown the meat in oil with a cast iron skillet. I like bacon fat. Remove the meat and the saute the onion and garlic until it starts smelling good.
Add all the ingredients into a crockpot and stir. If you need more liquid, add some beer. If there is any beer left, drink it because the inlaws from up north are here.
Cook it on high for a couple of hours or until the meat is very tender. Serve with more beer. food

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 02/29/16 10:55 PM

Don't tell anyone, but I cheat on it big time. I just use onion, garlic, a McCormick chili packet, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of black beans (optional), and a can of chipoltes in adobo sauce chopped up. I use one of each for each pound of rattlesnake meat.
I partially freeze the rattlesnake meat and then chop it up fairly fine. Chop the onion and garlic. Brown the meat in oil with a cast iron skillet. I like bacon fat. Remove the meat and the saute the onion and garlic until it starts smelling good.
Add all the ingredients into a crockpot and stir. If you need more liquid, add some beer. If there is any beer left, drink it because the inlaws from up north are here.
Cook it on high for a couple of hours or until the meat is very tender. Serve with more beer. food

Sounds very good! chef
I cant wait to make some
Posted By: nak

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 03/02/16 01:26 AM

If ever there was a reason to use a tactical nuke on US soil, it would A concentration of rattle snakes like the one pictures above....
Posted By: TexasCanesFan

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 03/02/16 03:50 PM

I wish I had the lack of fear enough to hunt them. Better than I used to be but they still creep me out.
Posted By: daulongranch

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 03/02/16 11:06 PM

I've got a place that has some if anyone wants to hunt for them. One almost got me a couple of years ago. I don't know how many shots it took to kill it, but I used all 11.
Posted By: daulongranch

Re: Rattlesnake Wrangling - 03/22/16 08:41 PM

I had one start to buzz after I chopped at a cedar branch above it. I was about a foot away from the sucker. I don't know how many shots it took to kill it, but I used all 11 shots that were available. So much for tanning that skin.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum