Texas Hunting Forum

Edwards County Annual WLM Report

Posted By: JohnRussell

Edwards County Annual WLM Report - 01/27/16 08:36 PM

So.. I post this on my personal website for other owners in my area to use as a template.

I removed all the GPS coordinates since a lot of folks go, "hey! you should not post GPS coordinates" but I am not removing my name or my lot info because it screws up the formatting and, frankly, after going through this much trouble each year I hate to mess with that.. lol

BUT.. when I started out 5 years ago, there was nothing.. I mean NO-thing out there to give as an example of what a wildlife plan should look like.

Now, before folks start saying that there is a fill in the blank form for all this, you bet.. and that is also included.. but ECAD is known for being very strict on their plans etc and no way was I doing the minimum.

So.. if anyone owns land and files for a WLM and would care for an example that ECAD seems to approve of (i.e. never had to contest it).. they are welcome to a copy of my latest filing.

I am not sure if it will upload to this forum, but if you send me a PM with your email address... the file is like 2.2 MB, I will email it to you for free wink

Critique it here.. I have thick sin, and share your thoughts for others to learn so we all can enjoy our WLM for a long long time.

Oh, and I file 2 reports each year as we have 2 ranches we combined into one, but 2 owners. 330 acres, but I will be sending the plan for the 76 acre part as it is smaller. They are identical, just different names on them.

Here is a link to download it, if it works for you all:

Barnard Ranch Public PDF

Russ
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Edwards County Annual WLM Report - 01/27/16 10:19 PM

Thanks Russ
Posted By: DaveTexas

Re: Edwards County Annual WLM Report - 01/28/16 04:54 AM

Looks good , very similar to mine. I always liked including as many "qualifying activities" as possible just in case they reject one or two I would still have back up activities. So I cover 6 or the 7 activities and it does not require much more effort. If you want to see a copy of mine just email me.

I don't think you need to change anything but a few differences in mine include the following.
1. Habitat Control, I list the exotics on the 888-W7000 form along with the Hogs
2. I include "Predator Control" (trapping Racoons with a dog proof trap and shooting)
3. Supplemental Food. I use a "Free Choice Feeder" and word it like that . I know your tub is free choice, but if you get some new employee, they may look for buzz words like "free choice" on the 888-W7000 form. I also scan in a copy of the protein label showing the percentage protein.
4. I provide "Supplemental Shelter" by simply putting up some "bat boxes"

only slight changes you might consider is:
1. include copy of your receipt for the protein (I'm sure you include this, I just didn't see it scanned into your report)
2. I read some place that all owners need to sign the 888-W7000 (not sure if this is accurate)
3. I include satellite maps marking locations (I know your GPS coordinates do the same thing)
4. Label all photos
5. If you want to get real nit picky, reference the page number from your summary in the corresponding section of the 888-W7000 form
6. I place the 888-W7000 at the beginning of the report. I've heard some counties primarily look at the 888-W7000 first and then view supporting documentation if needed.

I've seen real sloppy annual reports hand written on scratch paper. I'm sure the sloppy reports would be the ones likely to get rejected. Yours looks very thought out and well planned.

Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Edwards County Annual WLM Report - 01/28/16 11:16 AM

We normally add the protein tub receipts, but these were donated and as such, did not cost us anything this year.
Not sure about the form, but I will look that one up today and add it to the list, thanks wink
I always wanted to add raccoons, but this county used to frown on anything they thought was "silly".. even if it was on the list of things we could do, like bird houses, so we left all that off.
Bat Boxes, again, are left off. They told us a couple years back that if we add those, then we need to add a majorly extensive notes section where we checked the boxes (and bird houses etc) monthly and evaluated whether they were being used etc and moved them around, pictures... you get the idea. Too much work since we were already doing above and beyond the minimum.

I labeled the photos with protein tubs etc...but did not get fancy and position the label..but it is there. heh.

My thought is, they look at mine and figure I have it all there vs the hundreds that get sent in with 5 pages stapled together :P

But.. always looking to improve it!

They rejected the first one I sent in because it was like 15 pages longer than this one (the first year).... told me to pair it down...thus I came up with this :P

R
Posted By: DaveTexas

Re: Edwards County Annual WLM Report - 01/28/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
We normally add the protein tub receipts, but these were donated and as such, did not cost us anything this year.
Not sure about the form, but I will look that one up today and add it to the list, thanks wink

I wonder if the county has a mandatory proof by receipt for the protein. I don't know how they handle donated protein.
I've known a couple of people to have the supplemental feed section declined because they had no receipt.

The 888-W7000 form is the one you already have. Its just the technical name for the Parks and Wildlife Annual Report form so your already using that one.

I would be surprised if the county actually reads many of these annual reports if they have a professional well done look, like yours does. I would think they would flag the thrown together reports, but you never know.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Edwards County Annual WLM Report - 01/31/16 08:16 PM

Thank you, interesting WLM info. contained in this thread.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum