Texas Hunting Forum

Hunter's Ed

Posted By: Nakraik

Hunter's Ed - 01/19/16 10:09 PM

I got a buddy in the Lubbock area that needs his hunter's ed cert.

I understand you can do it online now, but everything I can find still requires a field day with an instructor, and I do not see one listed for the Lubbock area anymore.

I remember being offered certification by someone in the Lubbock area before, and hoping to find one again. If willing, please send PM with info.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/19/16 10:12 PM

Depending on your buddies experience I would probably still recommend a "live" instructor led class.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course-for-certification
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/20/16 02:16 AM

A half-day "field" course, with test at the end of the field course, is still required with the online.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/20/16 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
A half-day "field" course, with test at the end of the field course, is still required with the online.

Those 17 and older can now take everything online without the need for a field course or classroom instruction.

Kids 16 and under are required to take either the one day classroom course OR the online course with a half day of field training.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course-for-certification
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/20/16 04:55 AM

I stand corrected, thanks Texas Dan. My apologies Nakraik.

Is that one of the pieces that changed in the last year or two?

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/20/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
I stand corrected, thanks Texas Dan. My apologies Nakraik.

Is that one of the pieces that changed in the last year or two?

It changed in 2014. In addition to the online completion option for those 17 and older, the two- day classroom course was reduced to a single day.
Posted By: Nakraik

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/21/16 12:18 AM

Last time I looked it still required a field day,that's awesome, ty guys!
Posted By: shotgunag

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/24/16 09:22 PM

17 or older online only... under 17 requires field day

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/24/16 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: shotgunag
17 or older online only... under 17 requires field day

The Field Day is not required for those of ANY age who take the full, one-day classroom course.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/25/16 02:00 AM

Would still have youngsters have the field course to reinforce safety even if not required. Have reinforced safety enough with my boys over the years, they now teach other youth in the field. Real field application surely beats online.

Re: Hunter's Ed - 01/25/16 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Would still have youngsters have the field course to reinforce safety even if not required. Have reinforced safety enough with my boys over the years, they now teach other youth in the field. Real field application surely beats online.

I agree IF the field instruction makes use of good resources that provide something close to the real thing. If not, there are all types of classroom activities and group discussions that will keep both kids and adults active and involved.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum