Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for a chicken killer last night...

Posted By: therancher

Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 05:33 PM

Night before last we were having dinner with friends and the wind blew our chicken coop door shut before they got in to roost. We got home late and the wife found a skunk hauling off one and two others were killed by larger varmints. So I got to do predator patrol last night.

Put one of the chicken carcasses out back and got her 22-250 and a nice strong light and went out every few minutes to check. At about 11pm this guy shows up where I feed corn to my pet deer. Probably 200# mostly Russian. I was way undergunned but tried to put one in his brain. Missed mark so he spins around, squeals and comes running at the light. Put another round in him and he turned away about 15 feet away. I was glad I was on the porch!

Went and got a bigger gun and put him down.

He's not what killed the chickens, but he won't be eating any fawns this spring either.

Posted By: Cast

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 05:46 PM

Atta boy!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 05:57 PM

Looks like he's been eating your fence or tools or something.

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 06:03 PM

Ha! I stuck a stick in his mouth to show more of his cutters. He's got some nice ones he's just got big lips.

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 06:43 PM

I see. He's eating your trees. grin

I'd show those teeth off, too.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 06:47 PM

Nice pig. up Need to get a varmint call to work on the varmints... see dogcatcher on this site for some good mouth calls.

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 06:57 PM

I bet you had a fox in the henhouse. Lots of them down that way. They can't resist a platinum fox call on the Foxpro.

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 07:04 PM

Fox is very probable as well as coons. It carried one over an 8' fence so I know it can climb. Could have been a bobcat too.

I'm headed out in a few to set some snares. I need to get some decent calls.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Atta boy!
up
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 07:09 PM

Good work on the hog!
Posted By: Hen-Killer

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 07:14 PM

cheers
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 07:22 PM

Big En up
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 07:23 PM

cheers
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 08:16 PM

If you saw the skunk there I'd bet it was the varmint to do it. We used to have the problem with them on my grandmothers layer farm. They were always around by the pits and if they did get inside then they would kill several chickens. Box traps are what we used. Just tie about 30' of nylon cord to the top handle and the other end to something else. When you catch it, drag it out away from the area, cage and all, shoot it and empty the cage. They generally will not spray and will be too busy trying to get out of the cage as you take it away. Eggs are what we used for the bait. Canned cat food worked well too but we just used eggs since that was what was attracting them in the first place. Skunks and raccoon's were such a nuisance.
Posted By: Western

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 08:19 PM

Good job there Rusty up Should a had a 223, I hear they kill anything! grin

BTW, look around for Owl feathers, good bet they check on the chickens nightly.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/18/16 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Ha! I stuck a stick in his mouth to show more of his cutters. He's got some nice ones he's just got big lips.

roflmao

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
If you saw the skunk there I'd bet it was the varmint to do it. We used to have the problem with them on my grandmothers layer farm. They were always around by the pits and if they did get inside then they would kill several chickens. Box traps are what we used. Just tie about 30' of nylon cord to the top handle and the other end to something else. When you catch it, drag it out away from the area, cage and all, shoot it and empty the cage. They generally will not spray and will be too busy trying to get out of the cage as you take it away. Eggs are what we used for the bait. Canned cat food worked well too but we just used eggs since that was what was attracting them in the first place. Skunks and raccoon's were such a nuisance.

Yeah Curtis, I think it was a combination of animals though. I know for a fact one was killed by something that could climb an 8' fence with it because we found one partially eaten chicken in a pen about 150 yards away.

These chickens are used to being locked up save and sound in a coop at night. We let them roam during the day and leave the door of the coop open. They put themselves up at night and we shut the gate. They were stuck outside and are dumb as stumps when they're roosting. Easy pickings on the ground.

Oh, and we made a semi pet out of a skunk a year and a half ago. I couldn't even shoot that skunk that had killed the chicken. If I catch one one in my live trap I'll have to figure out some way to "re-locate" it...

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Western
Good job there Rusty up Should a had a 223, I hear they kill anything! grin

BTW, look around for Owl feathers, good bet they check on the chickens nightly.

Ted told me the exact same thing about the .223. Ha!

Owls might have gotten one because we haven't found carcass or feathers from one. Caught a skunk hauling one away, the other was 150 yards away over an 8' fence.

Our coop is varmint proof when we are here and the chickens get in the coop. Even with the door open. We eat at these friends house quite often and don't shut the door until 10 or 11 quite often. The difference is they were outside and couldn't get in. I'll bet they were fussing a lot. Calling predators.

What's funny is our gsd was sitting on the porch while this was taking place. She doesn't like the chickens so she was probably rooting the varmints on !!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 03:18 AM

That pig is in my favorite state - dead! smile

That's a goodun too. up
Posted By: coolie

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 05:51 AM

Why is Dusty Hill in the pic? grin

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 11:41 AM

You didn't see the cheap sunglasses?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 12:37 PM

way to go

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
You didn't see the cheap sunglasses?

He does look a little like Billy don't he, without all the jewelry roflmao

Rusty, if you get a skunk in a live trap, walk up slowly with a tarp held in front of you and lay it over the cage and tote it off, I have done that I don't know how many times and never had a skunk "spray".

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 01:13 PM

You don't even need a tarp. Just go slow, and everything will be just fine. You could even take video, you know, just to prove that it works.

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
You don't even need a tarp. Just go slow, and everything will be just fine. You could even take video, you know, just to prove that it works.

Y'all are funny..
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 02:14 PM

Well played Rusty. up
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 07:00 PM

If you catch it in a trap, dragging the cage off won't hurt it. All you need to do is drag it far enough away and then get the cage turned upside down. IF...that is the kind of live trap that has the metal rings that slide down when the door falls. If it's the latch kind you may have to use a blanket to toss over it. You could also try a coat hanger tied to it so all you have to do is pull a string to lift the latch and turn it over. That may sound kinda complicated to deecribe and would be easier to show how to do it with the locking latch.

Could try to dart it?

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 08:38 PM

Swear to God Rusty, a tarp/ blanket, whatever and your GTG. I'll give you $5 if I'm lying....... grin

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 09:00 PM

Haha, I'm in for 5, too.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 09:02 PM

Western is right. Please video it for us.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: coolie

When I grow up I hope to be able to grow an awesome beard like therancher's!

Jealous - Mickey

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
If you catch it in a trap, dragging the cage off won't hurt it. All you need to do is drag it far enough away and then get the cage turned upside down. IF...that is the kind of live trap that has the metal rings that slide down when the door falls. If it's the latch kind you may have to use a blanket to toss over it. You could also try a coat hanger tied to it so all you have to do is pull a string to lift the latch and turn it over. That may sound kinda complicated to deecribe and would be easier to show how to do it with the locking latch.

Could try to dart it?

grin

I ain't dartin one..

And my trap is one that you have to push latches down to open. Will use doubled up tarp and maybe try singing to it...

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

Jealous - Mickey

I think my dermatologist is jealous too. He's making me cut it AND my hair off next week so he can check me for "ticks". I ain't excited about that. But I'm dam sure gonna sneak up on some folks.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

Jealous - Mickey

I think my dermatologist is jealous too. He's making me cut it AND my hair off next week so he can check me for "ticks". I ain't excited about that. But I'm dam sure gonna sneak up on some folks.

Haha what? We are going to need before and after pics of that. You better not have passed those inferior genetics along to me.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/19/16 10:16 PM

There's no way a man can tolerate a varmint choking his chicken in the middle of the night without doing something drastic in return.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Looking for a chicken killer last night... - 01/20/16 01:23 AM

Good kill on the lone boar, one or two now will move into to take his place. rifle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum