Texas Hunting Forum

2 More Whooping Cranes shot?

Posted By: krmitchell

2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 02:30 AM

http://kxan.com/2016/01/14/southeast-texan-arrested-in-killings-of-2-whooping-cranes/
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 03:23 AM

I wonder if he knew the difference between the whooping crane and sandhill or did it on purpose. I bet, either way, he doesn't do it again.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 04:11 AM

$$$$$ this one will cost. Sad deal for the whoopers
Posted By: dawaba

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez

+1. A $15,000 fine and 6 mos in Federal prison will make a deep impression on an 18-yr-old. That said, the maximum sentence appears too lenient to me.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba

+1. A $15,000 fine and 6 mos in Federal prison will make a deep impression on an 18-yr-old. That said, the maximum sentence appears too lenient to me.

I think 6 months of a mans life for killing two birds is ridiculous. Endangered or not they're still just birds.
Posted By: Cast

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 01:34 PM

Big mistake.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 02:05 PM

The article didn't indicate if it was a intentional act or not.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
The article didn't indicate if it was a intentional act or not.

I agree, if the birds came in with a flock of sandhill crane and he shot them, that is one thing, but if he targeted the birds by themselves, that is something else all together. However, I have a feeling that if the article was correct and the gw went to his house because of witness statements, then he knew he had done something wrong.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

I think 6 months of a mans life for killing two birds is ridiculous. Endangered or not they're still just birds.

Agreed

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 02:46 PM

Now if it was intentional or not is the big thing imo or if he was huntin sandhills
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Agreed

What if they snuck onto a prime low fence deer lease in South Texas and shot a B&C book deer that the owner had said was off limits so it would improve the rest of the deer herd?

What should the punishment be for that hunting crime?

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 02:51 PM

I don't want to waste the kid in jail either way... make him work off the time with a lot of community service..

Like I said the crane thing has info left out on if he just decided to shoot some birds or mistake while hunting.. even still why waste and pay for his crime than get a lot of use out of it
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 03:03 PM

Like it or not, there is little leniency when it comes to whooping cranes. He will receive severe punishment. A guy a few years back accidentally shot one, turned himself in, and got no leniency.

The Feds simply don't want to send any message other than a harsh one when it comes to an animal that is basically the face of conservation of endangered species.

I get it.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 03:36 PM

I can't see myself doing it, but should I accidentally shoot a whooping crane, I now know what to do about it.
Posted By: justinxxxz

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 04:07 PM

The area he was in is closed to Sandhill Crane hunting. They don't have a season in that part of Texas to shoot them. So he cant really say he accidentally shot a Whooping while hunting Sandhills.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/sandhill-crane

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 04:08 PM

Some good info cheers
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 04:27 PM

Agreed

I think 6 months sounds about right. Let him serve them concurrently but hit him with the total fine of $30,000.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 04:34 PM

Rural east Tex, 18, and no attorney, doubt he will have any money to pay back for a long long time no matter how much they fine him. They know where those cranes are all the time.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 04:35 PM

Then I am sure this young man is going to learn a lesson. One I hope stays with him for the rest of his life. Otherwise we most likely are looking a a future deer poacher, since laws aren't important to him.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 09:35 PM

Not a "in the sky ribeye"
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 11:13 PM

Quote:
I think 6 months of a mans life for killing two birds is ridiculous.

Yep, people should consider this before doing it.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/15/16 11:48 PM

WHOOPS.........!

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

loser8
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 12:17 AM

If it was accidental I agree completely, in other words thought it was a Sandhill etc...if the person who did this was purposeful and has a history then throw the book at him.
Posted By: JRR

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 02:15 AM

who cares
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: justinxxxz
The area he was in is closed to Sandhill Crane hunting. They don't have a season in that part of Texas to shoot them. So he cant really say he accidentally shot a Whooping while hunting Sandhills.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/sandhill-crane

welcome

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 05:56 PM

Supposedly, he was goose hunting. Lot of differences between a crane and a goose.
http://theexaminer.com/stories/news/local-teen-faces-federal-charges-whooping-crane-killings

http://heavy.com/news/2016/01/trey-josep...-facebook-page/

Apparently, Trey doesn't agree with the law either, though he did agree to abide by the law with his hunting license.
https://www.everipedia.com/trey-joseph-frederick/
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 06:05 PM

Goose hunting with a rifle? Sounds like he wantonly shot two cranes and deserves whatever he gets.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Goose hunting with a rifle? Sounds like he wantonly shot two cranes and deserves whatever he gets.

I'm guessing the rifle part is either because the witnesses didn't know it was a shotgun or the author of the Examiner article doesn't know the difference. Based on pictures and info in those links, he appears to be an avid hunter, so I'm guessing he wasn't using a rifle.

That also leads me to believe he knew the difference between a crane and a goose and it was not an honest mistake.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Supposedly, he was goose hunting. Lot of differences between a crane and a goose.
http://theexaminer.com/stories/news/local-teen-faces-federal-charges-whooping-crane-killings

http://heavy.com/news/2016/01/trey-josep...-facebook-page/

Apparently, Trey doesn't agree with the law either, though he did agree to abide by the law with his hunting license.
https://www.everipedia.com/trey-joseph-frederick/

Thanks for posting those.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 10:04 PM

Quote:
Based on pictures and info in those links, he appears to be an avid hunter, so I'm guessing he wasn't using a rifle.

That also leads me to believe he knew the difference between a crane and a goose and it was not an honest mistake.

Well,he has been hunting for years, very avid by all accounts.

So is it reasonable to assume he could confuse a goose for a crane? I dunno. Cranes stand right at 5 feet tall on the ground and have a wingspan of about 7.5 feet. It is the tallest bird in North America, very long, with a very different beak, head, neck, and body shape than a goose that is shorter, smaller wing span, and of which most varieties are not white.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 10:39 PM

Maybe he doesn't know what a crane looks like, but a goose hunter knows what a goose looks like. That ain't no goose.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 10:52 PM

It doesn't matter. He killed two whooping cranes. He is going to pay the going price. The going price for killing two whooping cranes is high. The going price is not a secret. It has never been a secret.

Moral of this story: be d*** sure what you are shooting at before you shoot it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 11:02 PM

just the opposite, should be at least a yr & 25,000
Posted By: dawaba

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 11:03 PM

Anyone have any idea what the restitution fee is for a dead whooping crane? Two years ago, I got my only ticket from a GW for possessing one dove too many. Restitution on that dove was $160.

I'm thinking that restitution on the cranes could very well exceed the $15,000 fine for shooting them.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/16/16 11:05 PM

most fresh water fish restitution is 250.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/17/16 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Based on pictures and info in those links, he appears to be an avid hunter, so I'm guessing he wasn't using a rifle.

Well,he has been hunting for years, very avid by all accounts.

So is it reasonable to assume he could confuse a goose for a crane? I dunno. Cranes stand right at 5 feet tall on the ground and have a wingspan of about 7.5 feet. It is the tallest bird in North America, very long, with a very different beak, head, neck, and body shape than a goose that is shorter, smaller wing span, and of which most varieties are not white.

I should have been more sarcastic in my last sentence. He knows the difference between a crane and a goose.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/17/16 01:23 AM

He was in deep dooo dooo and he knew it when he pulled the trigger...twice.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/17/16 02:16 AM

I think this kid will get what's coming to him. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. In my opinion if you choose to hunt you should obey the rules and regulations. They are there for a reason whether you agree or not! If your unsure of the identity of an animal....it's simple.....don't pull the trigger! If you choose to do so anyways. Face the consequences. It's foolish acts like this that do nothing but damage hunters reputations and fuel animosity against us!
Posted By: JRR

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/18/16 12:42 AM

Anyone have any idea what the restitution fee is for a dead whooping crane? Two years ago, I got my only ticket from a GW for possessing one dove too many. Restitution on that dove was $160.

I'm thinking that restitution on the cranes could very well exceed the $15,000 fine for shooting them.

$160 for a dove..... GW should have been wearing a mask in that drive by.....
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/18/16 06:11 AM

Originally Posted By: JRR
who cares

A lot of people do, especially in my neck of the woods.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/18/16 06:23 AM

Photo taken a few miles from my house, (I did not take photo). Love to hear them/see them flying overhead, but doesn't happen very often. They are few and far between.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/18/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey
I think this kid will get what's coming to him. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. In my opinion if you choose to hunt you should obey the rules and regulations. They are there for a reason whether you agree or not! If your unsure of the identity of an animal....it's simple.....don't pull the trigger! If you choose to do so anyways. Face the consequences. It's foolish acts like this that do nothing but damage hunters reputations and fuel animosity against us!

Exactly!
Posted By: NMGW

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/18/16 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Photo taken a few miles from my house, (I did not take photo). Love to hear them/see them flying overhead, but doesn't happen very often. They are few and far between.

Cool picture...
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/19/16 06:02 PM

Anyone have any idea what the restitution fee is for a dead whooping crane? Two years ago, I got my only ticket from a GW for possessing one dove too many. Restitution on that dove was $160. I'm thinking that restitution on the cranes could very well exceed the $15,000 fine for shooting them.

Why is it such a serious crime to kill a Whooper? If you find yourself wondering why the penalties and fines for killing a Whooping Crane don’t make any sense you’re not alone. Most attempt to compared penalties game wardens hand out for other violations but the logic falls apart because there’s no comparison to any other actual violation to base rational logic on. Here’s some food for thought that might shed some light on this topic.

To put this in perspective, when one wild whooper out of the Aransas -Wood Buffalo population is killed, it’s equivalent to a single poacher killing approximately 30,000 mallards. This assumes there are an estimated 9 million mallards compared to only 300 whoopers in the wild.

In this case two whoopers were killed. Now that you have at least an example of a comparable crime to relate to, what do you think fair justice would be for someone that shoots 60,000 mallards? Chew on that for a moment.

For those with the, "...it's just a bird" mindset, could you still say with a straight face, "...jail time, but he only killed 60,000 mallards?"

Now consider the fact whoopers are critically endangered with only 150 adult breeding pairs in the wild Aransas-Wood Buffalo population. Losing even one to hunting is actually much more significant than losing 60,000 mallards since one storm could wipe out the entire population of remaining breeding whoopers. The only hope for the whooper population to rebound to sustainable numbers is continued aggressive conservation.

Shooting a whooping crane is a federal violation of the Endangered Species Act. Violators face up to a year in jail and possible fines up to $250,000.00. It’s also a violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. In recent years a hunter in South Dakota that intentionally took a Whooper with a rifle was fined over $80,000 while a hunter in Texas paid $15,000 for his mistake.

To specifically answer the above restitution question, the basis for fines is tied to the cost to raise one captive whooping crane to adulthood. Court documents report this cost currently to be $100,000.

There is never an excuse that stands up when a whooper gets shot on their wintering grounds in Texas. How can there be when the entire region of Texas where they winter never has an open crane season? All hunters are spoon fed Whooper 101 in Hunters Education. Regardless, all hunters are responsible for the consequence of pulling the trigger. If it's too dark, too foggy, or you just don’t know what you’re shooting at - don’t pull the trigger. It’s as simple as that.

In this case, after the the 18 year old kid was tracked down, he admitted to shooting the whoopers. Even though he is only 18 he states on social media that he has been duck hunting for 16 years and claims he went on his first duck hunt when he was only 2. The kid may be young but he is avid and experienced duck and goose hunter; born and raised in an area where everyone knows Whoopers are critically endangered.

On social media his favorite quote is, “If it flies - it dies.” On Twitter he showed his irreverence and ignorance when he reflects on doing possible jail time for his crime. He referred to the whooper as, “... just a blank bird” but instead of "blank" he took the Lord's name in vain. In a failed attempt at damage control, he was more apologetic in other tweets.

While the above gives us some insight into his character, it doesn’t really matter one way or the other. At the end of the day, we are all responsible for the consequences that arise from the free will decision to pull the trigger.

Next time you hear about a whooper getting shot and your buddy is struggling to understand why someone is going to jail or paying a large fine, ask him what would be fair if the shooter killed 30,000 mallards. Hope this helps put some perspective on the subject.

Blue Moon
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/19/16 06:05 PM

^^^ Well said, buddy!!! Good perspective!

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/19/16 06:10 PM

Yeah, that certainly does put things in perspective. Well done.
Posted By: passthru

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/19/16 06:41 PM

I don't have an issue with the penalty. I don't have an issue the arguments that saving these animals is worth while, although I don't know I'm in that corner. I do have an issue with taxpayer monies being used to do it. $100 grand to raise each bird to adult status is ridiculous. Just think if we invested that money into people or even left it in the pockets of the taxpayers. The vast majority of which have no idea, nor care, what a Whooping Crane is.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 01/19/16 06:57 PM

That is an awesome picture
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 02/14/16 12:54 PM

Update - there is evidence emerging that the defendant told friends earlier in the day he was going to go shoot Whooping Cranes, so this was a deliberate and intentional act if proven.

Sorry, that is not an innocent hunter, but someone deliberately violating game laws. What would folks do if he snuck on your hunting lease and shot the biggest deer on the property, and out of season too?
Posted By: StretchR

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 02/14/16 01:02 PM

Based on the information from Blue Moon, it would be more like the "hunter" wandering around the state on everyone's leases, shooting hundreds/thousands of the biggest bucks. There are millions of dollars spent on deer in Texas every year... couldn't that be used for people, too?

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 02/14/16 07:28 PM

If what Jeff said is true, the kid is toast.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 02/14/16 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert

That is an awesome picture

that is one rare photo!
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 02/15/16 02:12 AM

Wonder if Whooping Crane tastes better than California Condor.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 02/15/16 02:19 PM

This happened within about 30 miles of where I live. From what I have heard, he shot the cranes from a road on private property with a rifle after he was told they were whooping cranes. The story I got was he and a buddy saw them and he came back later and shot them. Supposedly, this isn't his first run in with game violations. There was no sandhill crane season open when this occurred. I don't know the kid but he has a reputation for this type of thing. I am not of the opinion that they should lock him up forever. However, I do think a little jail time (30 days maybe), loss of all hunting rights, and a very large fine would give him more respect for the law and the animals he enjoys poaching. From all accounts, the shooting of these cranes was not a mistake or an accident.
Posted By: HS2

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 02/15/16 02:31 PM

It's acts like this that give hunting a bad name. This is not the pioneer days any more, and these guys that just keep shooting everything that moves need to be stopped. If we don't stop them, the anti-hunters will just keep gaining influence. I did a lot of stupid things when I was 18, so I don't want to see the kid's life messed up, but he did the crime, so he has to pay the price. Teach him a lesson.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 02:37 AM

Did I hear that this guy got probation?
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 02:56 AM

Looks like it. Lost his right to hunt in the US and own firearms and ammunition as well.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/10/25/texas...gets-probation/
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 03:14 AM

We as hunters are gradually slipping into the minority. Our beloved pastime is increasingly under attack from the non-hunting (majority) public. A public that looks at us a blood thirsty barbarians. These people were raised on Disney films that portray hunters as evil and cruel, destroying animal families. They make no distinction between poachers and sportsmen. We're all equally deranged and evil in their minds.

So this sort of thing reflects badly on all of us. Nothing we say or do can separate us from poachers in their minds. Perception is reality, period. So when a "hunter" commits such an act we should all denounce the behavior and support prosecution to fullest extent, lest we give more fodder to the anti's. This young man not only tarnished himself, but each of us, sadly.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Looks like it. Lost his right to hunt in the US and own firearms and ammunition as well.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/10/25/texas...gets-probation/

This article states something different but both are unclear.

In this one it says "A magistrate also ordered the 19-year-old Beaumont man to pay nearly $26,000 in restitution, barred Frederick from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition and prohibited him from hunting or fishing in the U.S. for the next five years."

http://kxan.com/2016/10/25/texan-who-killed-2-endangered-whooping-cranes-gets-probation/

This article says that he is prohibited from possessing weapons and hunting as part of his probation so after that he can do both.

http://www.12newsnow.com/mb/news/local/b...ranes/341595681
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 03:31 AM

That is unfortunate. I recall reading some articles a few years ago about some poachers shooting deer out of season that lost their right to hunt for the rest of their lives.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 02:44 PM

I feel like the last time someone shot a whooping crane the fine was like 80K or something ridiculously expensive.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
We as hunters are gradually slipping into the minority. Our beloved pastime is increasingly under attack from the non-hunting (majority) public. A public that looks at us a blood thirsty barbarians. These people were raised on Disney films that portray hunters as evil and cruel, destroying animal families. They make no distinction between poachers and sportsmen. We're all equally deranged and evil in their minds.

So this sort of thing reflects badly on all of us. Nothing we say or do can separate us from poachers in their minds. Perception is reality, period. So when a "hunter" commits such an act we should all denounce the behavior and support prosecution to fullest extent, lest we give more fodder to the anti's. This young man not only tarnished himself, but each of us, sadly.

Schools should start teaching "Food Ed" classes similar to Sex Ed. Make them watch video of chickens, turkeys, cows, pigs, and sheep/lambs being processed at the slaughterhouse so they'll know where their Chicken McNuggets and Big Macs come from. I bet that'll stop some of the anti-hunter nonsense.

lol..... probably be a hell of a lot more vegetarians too. And youth counseling.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 03:47 PM

+1.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 04:03 PM

Quote:
In this one it says "A magistrate also ordered the 19-year-old Beaumont man to pay nearly $26,000 in restitution, barred Frederick from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition and prohibited him from hunting or fishing in the U.S. for the next five years."

Odds are that he will be a repeat offender, likely during the probationary period.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It doesn't matter. He killed two whooping cranes. He is going to pay the going price. The going price for killing two whooping cranes is high. The going price is not a secret. It has never been a secret.

Moral of this story: be d*** sure what you are shooting at before you shoot it.

There is a great responsibility that comes with pulling the trigger.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 04:54 PM

RIP, Dawaba....Miss you, bud.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 09:27 PM

My gut tells me he won't learn a lesson, and with his history he will be right back at it!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/26/16 09:33 PM

Sad Deal

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/28/16 12:29 PM

Agreed

I agree...ASSUMING...that it was somehow accidental as in mistaking them for a Sandhill crane or something. The guy is 18 and I think must of us at that age did some pretty stupid things. So yes he need to pay but that price is too high to me and when the justice system refuses to acknowledge circumstances in giving out sentences it's no longer "justice". Animals are animals...we've got people killing people getting off with less.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/28/16 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TxHunter80
This happened within about 30 miles of where I live. From what I have heard, he shot the cranes from a road on private property with a rifle after he was told they were whooping cranes. The story I got was he and a buddy saw them and he came back later and shot them. Supposedly, this isn't his first run in with game violations. There was no sandhill crane season open when this occurred. I don't know the kid but he has a reputation for this type of thing. I am not of the opinion that they should lock him up forever. However, I do think a little jail time (30 days maybe), loss of all hunting rights, and a very large fine would give him more respect for the law and the animals he enjoys poaching. From all accounts, the shooting of these cranes was not a mistake or an accident.

If this is true they need to throw the book at him! It's one thing if it's accidental...it's another thing if it's deliberate!
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/30/16 01:43 PM

Quote:
If it was accidental I agree completely, in other words thought it was a Sandhill etc...

I have tried to come up with a reasonable explanation for accidentally shooting a Whooper and come up blank. There's just no excuse!
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/30/16 02:19 PM

Bingo! I'm really saddened to find so many younger "hunters" (and a few older ones) these days who exude an attitude that manifests itself as "Gotta Shoot Something". 2cents
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? - 10/31/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

So this sort of thing reflects badly on all of us. Nothing we say or do can separate us from poachers in their minds. Perception is reality, period. So when a " hunter " commits such an act we should all denounce the behavior and support prosecution to fullest extent, lest we give more fodder to the anti's. This young man not only tarnished himself, but each of us, sadly.

Bingo! I'm really saddened to find so many younger "hunters" (and a few older ones) these days who exude an attitude that manifests itself as "Gotta Shoot Something". 2cents

scratch hunter is a key word... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum