Texas Hunting Forum

vacuum packing?

Posted By: lubbockdave

vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 12:10 AM

for those of you who process your own, do you wrap in butcher paper or vacuum pack? What vacuum pack do you use?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 12:40 AM

I've done both. Vacuum packing might last longer, I'm not sure, and it's very clean to thaw. I do freezer paper, usually, because that's what I'm used to. I wrap in cellophane first, to avoid blood spilling when it thaws.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 12:52 AM

I vacuum pack with a Foodsaver. I have two of the GameSaver Silver units, they work pretty good. Buy the bags online or at Costco
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 12:59 AM

I use butcher paper, sometimes will put meat in qt. size freezer bag then wrap. usually always have butcher paper at the lease as well as home. Butcher paper = freezer paper.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 01:00 AM

I use a Foodsaver.

Best cuts get sealed and go in the bottom of the fridge for 4-5 days for wet aging. Then to the freezer.

The balance is ground with 5% beef fat, cut into chili/stew meat or made into smoked, link sausage.

Sealed and frozen, also.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 01:12 AM

Upgraded from the broken/worn out Food Saver to a Cabela's vacuum sealer this year. Now eating Tag Soup so it hasn't been put to much use yet, other than sealing up meal size portions of some of what I have been cooking and sealing the canisters.

Been vacuum sealing things for 14 years or so though. It does keep food fresher longer than many of the other methods. Wrapping in plastic wrap then freezer paper also works just make sure you get all the air out when wrapping in the plastic wrap.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 02:49 AM

Vacuum seal it all. Last longer and dethawing is super easy. Do this with whole pieces, ground, cuts, etc.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 03:02 AM

I've used both. Put up a cow elk with some stuff called "press and seal" and butcher paper. Family was eating that meat 2 years later and it was still excellent. All the venison I've vacuum sealed never lasted as long as the elk. Some of it went longer than a year and it was also fine. Either way I think your covered.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Upgraded from the broken/worn out Food Saver to a Cabela's vacuum sealer this year. Now eating Tag Soup so it hasn't been put to much use yet, other than sealing up meal size portions of some of what I have been cooking and sealing the canisters.

Been vacuum sealing things for 14 years or so though. It does keep food fresher longer than many of the other methods. Wrapping in plastic wrap then freezer paper also works just make sure you get all the air out when wrapping in the plastic wrap.

Good point. Air is the enemy.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I vacuum pack with a Foodsaver. I have two of the GameSaver Silver units, they work pretty good. Buy the bags online or at Costco

We have always had very good Luck with the same units Sir up

Posted By: cerda12

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 02:58 PM

I use a Foodsaver. You can buy off brand bags on Ebay for way cheaper and get the job done.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 03:03 PM

Ditto on vacuum sealing with a Foodsaver. I even use it for when I make deer sausage...still good over a year later. food
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 05:13 PM

Any tips for keeping blood/liquid from being sucked into the machine? I don't use mine much because of this.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 05:17 PM

Both!

Ground meat wraps easily in butcher paper and is easy to get air etc. out and will keep a good while like that and is much easier and cheaper than vacuum packed.

Sausage is very difficult to wrap with butcher paper and keep from from freezer burning so I vacuum pack sausage. Most of the time the backstraps etc. never get frozen.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: UTMallard
Any tips for keeping blood/liquid from being sucked into the machine? I don't use mine much because of this.

Freeze the meat first on a cookie sheet works, then no liquid to get sucked into the vacuum pump. Others use a paper towel or part of one above the meat in the bag to absorb the liquid.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 05:48 PM

Use a chamber based vaccum sealer - you'll never turn back. Seal stews, soups, hell you can seal up a bag of water if you wanted to.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 05:48 PM

Freeze the meat first on a cookie sheet works, then no liquid to get sucked into the vacuum pump. Others use a paper towel or part of one above the meat in the bag to absorb the liquid.

This ..
And set a strainer in a large bowl prior to working to allow any moisture to drain...

Posted By: Palehorse

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 05:49 PM

Both of those are awesome tips! up
Posted By: Navasot

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: lubbockdave
for those of you who process your own, do you wrap in butcher paper or vacuum pack? What vacuum pack do you use?

Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: vacuum packing? - 01/15/16 09:25 PM

Did vacuum foodsaver 1st year. Works, but pita. (too)expensive.
I now double-bag in quality freezer bags - and store in 0deg F freezer.
Fast, and never looked back. 8 years & counting now.
2-year old backstrap - good as fresh; even med-rare @ grill.
Roasts - perfect. 0 freezer burn. 0 leaks when thawing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum