I just hit me.....

Posted By: txtrophy85

I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 04:13 PM

I didn't kill a deer this year....

I think this is the first season in like 15 years I didn't kill a deer
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 04:21 PM

Same here!
I had back surgery just before the season and missed the majority of the season, and once I was able to go I just didn't have the desire since I still couldn't handle my kill by myself.
The other hunters seemed to do enough damage to make up for me not being there though! grin
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 04:49 PM

Don't feel bad, i got all my tags for the last 15+ years... cheers Seeing fewer hogs been over 4 months, & in 2010 or so it went 4 deer county... flag
Posted By: Bbear

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 05:09 PM

I've only managed one trip this year. Couldn't bring myself to shoot one of the two fawns that came in. I'll give it one more go this weekend. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be begging for some place to pop an axis doe or two.

Sometimes Life interferes. (should be my tag line)
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Bbear
I've only managed one trip this year. Couldn't bring myself to shoot one of the two fawns that came in. I'll give it one more go this weekend. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be begging for some place to pop an axis doe or two.

Well mighty good of you to not have shot one of those fawns. Buy you some cabrito instead.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 07:19 PM

why would you even have to think about NOT shooing fawn? deer
Posted By: BOONER

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

why would you even have to think about NOT shooing fawn? deer

Is there something wrong with shooting fawns? grill
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 07:56 PM

Shot my first whitetail this morning. Haven't been able to get out as much as usual
Posted By: J.G.

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/01/16 08:15 PM

Saw whitetail does on my place almost weekly, all year long. That is until November, even after putting in a food plot in October just before the first rain.

Mule deer hunted to a week, and let several bucks walk. Land owner has a no doe kill policy.

End of next week will be the annual anterless hunt near Ballinger. Five years and have never been skunked. My instructions are to kill as many does as I have tags in my pocket as they have too stinkin many deer. My goal is to kill five, and give away the meat from three of them. (minus backstraps of course grin)
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/02/16 02:44 AM

Floods made it rough this year, toughest year for me since 2003
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/02/16 04:12 AM

Killed a deer 2 years ago, before that it was 4 years. I hunt alot just dont kill much.
Posted By: Emmett

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/02/16 10:52 AM

I got skunked this year also. Hoping to get lucky during the late season.
Posted By: Western

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/02/16 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Not to worry brudda, your fiance can get it done and look better do'n it too up grin
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/02/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Not to worry brudda, your fiance can get it done and look better do'n it too up grin

That's no joke. I gained a hunting partner but lost a favorite rifle and multiple stands

They took 4 deer this year plus the antelope so we arnt hurting for meat
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/02/16 09:30 PM

I managed 2 doe. Looking for my buck tomorrow, then I'm done. Won't bother with antlerless either way
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/03/16 01:54 AM

Have never shot a deer in my life. blush
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 07:18 AM

I usually shoot a deer every other year. Most of the time I give it away to someone who really wants the meat but can't or doesn't hunt. I'm just not mad at them anymore. I do eat them, but I prefer beef if I have a choice.
Just found a local guy who will take deer and wild hogs. He charges no processing fee and cooks it on a trailer smoker for the homeless in Fort Worth. Think I'll start donating to him. Always have hogs and deer tags left over.
Posted By: kry226

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 10:33 AM

First season in 10 years that I didn't kill a deer. Last time I was in Iraq. This time, my R&R coincided with the season, but I was focused on hunting with my daughter for her first deer, and to her credit, she held out on shooting yearlings and does for a shot at the two or three year old 8-point that was frequenting our place. He was a no-show, but she was OK with that. She's 10 years old. Proud of her.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
I usually shoot a deer every other year. Most of the time I give it away to someone who really wants the meat but can't or doesn't hunt. I'm just not mad at them anymore. I do eat them, but I prefer beef if I have a choice.
Just found a local guy who will take deer and wild hogs. He charges no processing fee and cooks it on a trailer smoker for the homeless in Fort Worth. Think I'll start donating to him. Always have hogs and deer tags left over.

My dad is the same way. I hunted from sunup to sundown yesterday and it was COLD. He messaged me "son, you're a more dedicated hunter than I ever was". As he's gotten older, he cares less and less about hunting.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 02:11 PM

I didn't shoot a deer this year. That's not uncommon for me anymore.

Like many, I'm past the stage of needing to shoot one unless it's the right one. And I've gotten pretty darn picky on what the "right one" looks like. But I still love going, watching them, and being outdoors. My hunting hasn't slowed down - just my shooting.
Posted By: soooo

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
First season in 10 years that I didn't kill a deer. Last time I was in Iraq. This time, my R&R coincided with the season, but I was focused on hunting with my daughter for her first deer, and to her credit, she held out on shooting yearlings and does for a shot at the two or three year old 8-point that was frequenting our place. He was a no-show, but she was OK with that. She's 10 years old. Proud of her.

You are a good daddy. happy3
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 03:00 PM

I haven't yet.... YET!
Posted By: kry226

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: soooo
Originally Posted By: kry226

You are a good daddy. happy3

Thank you, sir. up
Posted By: rickym

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 04:00 PM

I hunted 6 weekends this year and didn't get a deer. Looking forward to November
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 04:52 PM

I did not shoot a deer because I am in an apartment waiting for the house to be built.. but I could not help but squeeze off a shot at a sow this weekend. l;)

Russ
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 05:52 PM

Shot one doe, and my son shot two doe. I was hunting hard for a nice 12 point, who looks to be about 5.5 yo. But never was presented with a shot. The last 2 does shot (after Christmas) had both been bred in the last few hours before being shot. Did see a real nice 10 with very tall tines, but he was just inside the ears.
Posted By: majekman

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 06:28 PM

Ive been done hunting for a few years now. But grandson shot a buck and doe plus my Cuz manages a big south Texas ranch and he gave me 4 deer....so we got 6 total. YES we eat a lot of deer meat.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 06:35 PM

How do you feel about this? Upset? Angry? Confused?
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

rofl

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 08:04 PM

If that is directed at me.....not sure what you mean. Maybe I'm missing something.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: majekman

If that is directed at me.....not sure what you mean. Maybe I'm missing something.

I think Nav was picking at Txtrophy85 Sir not your Grandson

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 08:14 PM

Gotcha cheers

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 08:15 PM

No sir twas not congrats to your family..

but while we are here... and I don't mean to pry but did you just loose interest with hunting? if its personal reasons I understand going with no comment just curious

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 09:11 PM

but while we are here... and I don't mean to pry but did you just loose interest with hunting? if its personal reasons I understand going with no comment just curious

Thanks Nav....watched my old man quit huntin at about 60yo and thought he was crazy and I didn't understand why he quit. When I hit that age I went the same route. Guess I'm just not mad at em anymore. But I love the camp and hunting with my grandson has been the most rewarding times of my hunting career. When he shot a buck this year I was shaking more than him. Lol. I am now his personal guide, gun bearer and finacier and I wouldn't have it any other way. up

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/04/16 09:12 PM

Thanks Nav....watched my old man quit huntin at about 60yo and thought he was crazy and I didn't understand why he quit. When I hit that age I went the same route. Guess I'm just not mad at em anymore. But I love the camp and hunting with my grandson has been the most rewarding times of my hunting career. When he shot a buck this year I was shaking more than him. Lol. I am now his personal guide, gun bearer and finacier and I wouldn't have it any other way. up
cheers then your still out there just not pullin the trigger.. you aint done its just now beginning
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/05/16 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

My dad is the same way. I hunted from sunup to sundown yesterday and it was COLD. He messaged me "son, you're a more dedicated hunter than I ever was". As he's gotten older, he cares less and less about hunting.

I hunted yesterday. Was in a pop-up at 6 am yesterday morning and yes it was cold.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/05/16 02:22 PM

Think of all the money you saved!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/05/16 10:03 PM

Did you get to hunt this year? If so then that would make it a very successful year still to me.
Posted By: js4242

Re: I just hit me..... - 01/05/16 10:22 PM

Best year hunting I ever had. My boy (10) hunted hard for a total of 14 days. Showed a ton of interest and stuck out some tough hunts. Although we didn't recover the one he shot it was still the best. I pulled the trigger on a big hog but that's been it. My 7 year old girl sat a bunch to. When she is ready I doubt I will pull the trigger for quite some time as I will go into complete "guide" mode. Might try to bow hunt a little more next year by myself, but it won't be long until they are doing that as well. I wouldn't have it any other way.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum