Texas Hunting Forum

How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total

Posted By: HuntnFly67

How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:23 AM

Just got to thinking about my miles driven for hunting. My new truck's odometer just rolled 10,000. It was on 250 when it was delivered to me on October 3.

I live 7 miles from my office and my daily driver is my get me to the ranch truck. Our place is a 235 mile round trip door to gate to door. I have averaged 2 trips a week since October. I think I'm at about 6,000 miles just to hunt since I got my new ride. We are MLD so I may keep this pace through February.

$2 diesel isn't hurting my feelings, but sub $40 oil sure does give me some free time.

Either way, if I only go once a week the rest of the season, that's another +/-2,000 miles.

8,000 miles in a season. What are yalls average season miles driven?

I'm not going to think about September dove hunting or setup for deer season miles driven.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:33 AM

Our place is 75 miles from driveway to the cabin. We make about 10 trips a year for hunting and checking on the crops. For hunting only I would guess about 6 times. The kids take care of the feeders, and I rarely go with them when the fill feeders or do clean up work. So 900 miles will cover the trips but we usually also make a few side trips, so I will bump the total to about 2000.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:38 AM

Were 199.7 miles from the drive way to the front gate... So 400 miles round trip. From September first until after the new year I make a minimum of two trips a month... Usually three or four. At two trips a month that's 3200 miles, so I'm guessing with all the other random trips added in probably 5,000 a year for hunting... Not including out of state trips.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:39 AM

I drive about 600 a weekend when I hunt and I've been 6 weekends.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:50 AM

Door to gate to door is roughly 550 miles, plus whatever driving I do around the lease which is usually about another 15 miles. I've been 8 times since September 1st and will be making a trip down the first weekend of January and a few more in February and Marchbfor some rabbits. So for hunting, I'd say prob 6-7000 per year.
Posted By: rickym

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 06:21 AM

Been 6 times since October 1st. 268 miles each way.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 06:53 AM

800 miles round trip. 80 miles a day while I am there. 4 trips in season, average 3-4 days while I am there. 4480

500 miles round trip. 50 miles while I am there. Average 11 trips. 6050

10,530 give or take.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 11:43 AM

Trip to Western Kansas along with driving to hunting areas roundtrip -2300 miles
Trip to West Texas along with driving back and forth to lease- 1200 miles
Driving around the lease in West Texas hunting 16 daysx20/day-320 miles
Hunting at my other place 100 mile round trip- 6 trips so far 600 miles
Hunting at home 2 mile round trip per day-80 trips so far-160 miles
4580 miles so far this season. Some years it is quite a bit more.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 01:36 PM

About a 600 mile round trip.

I would say about 10-12 thousand a season.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 01:37 PM

I've been doing 925 a weekend for the past month.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Trip to Western Kansas along with driving to hunting areas roundtrip -2300 miles
Trip to West Texas along with driving back and forth to lease- 1200 miles
Driving around the lease in West Texas hunting 16 daysx20/day-320 miles
Hunting at my other place 100 mile round trip- 6 trips so far 600 miles
Hunting at home 2 mile round trip per day-80 trips so far-160 miles
4580 miles so far this season. Some years it is quite a bit more.

I have a 2012 2fify with 169k
And a 2015 2fify with 49k

bang

I'm buying a damn plane with a wet bar rofl cheers

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
800 miles round trip. 80 miles a day while I am there. 4 trips in season, average 3-4 days while I am there. 4480

10,530 give or take.

How big is your lease eeks333? 80 miles a day on the property?

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

10,530 give or take.

Kansas he doesn't stay on the property.

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

bang

I can't believe those Ford have held up that long, seriously, with your OCD I can't believe they haven't rattled to death and been traded in. My last 2 Fords were nothing but rattle traps. I kept everything in the tool box in the bed because the door panels and dash rattled so bad. The driver door panel on the last truck broke around the screw holes, gorilla glue and plastic weld held great, feel sorry for whoever bought that truck.

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

10,530 give or take.

That's what I figured. That or he hunts on the King Ranch

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 02:58 PM

bang

I can't believe those Ford have held up that long, seriously, with your OCD I can't believe they haven't rattled to death and been traded in. My last 2 Fords were nothing but rattle traps. I kept everything in the tool box in the bed because the door panels and dash rattled so bad. The driver door panel on the last truck broke around the screw holes, gorilla glue and plastic weld held great, feel sorry for whoever bought that truck.

There isn't a truck made that doesn't rattle. My old dodge rattled the bumper off, the seat broke three times, amoung numerous other things.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 03:11 PM

I buy Dodges because they have a Cummins in them. The trucks will always rattle if they get used.

January doe hunt 500 miles round trip, 30 miles hopping leases
May prairie dogs 1000 miles round trip, 100 miles town to town
Home to the range where the coyotes and hogs are, 70 miles x 200 days a year = 14,000
December mule deer 1000 miles round trip, 100 miles on property

Sprinkle an invite to hog or coyote hunt, no telling the mileage

~16,600
Posted By: GLC

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 04:06 PM

490 miles round trip to the lease, average 2 to 3 trips a month since August when I got it. Do the math.
Future, 1 trip a month for a hog hunt and work on brush clearing and feeder checks.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 04:08 PM

Have to figure I'd be in town regardless, so however many trips in times 16 mile round trip, then 10 mile round trip to another place checking on things and 35 mile round trip to another.

Mule deer hunt is usually 2028 mile round trip and roughly 100-120 miles/day while there.

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 04:09 PM

bang

Chocolate still looks as purdy as the day I drove her off the lot Amigo...few minor set backs on our long term Goals together ..8 new injectors and 4 new sensors ..Got a new pair of brakes and betcha she's good for another 169 if I wanna push it...been kicking a can around "thinking" about it but that vehicle is as clean as a whistle man..never had any rattles you speak of, have a little whistling wind noise on the 15 if the winds blowing the right way on the freeway ...I will find it eventually ..Truly been good vehicles so far
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 04:24 PM

2cents When was on lease... scratch Think farthest one was roughly 75-80 miles one way, & usualy spent at least 3 days hunting maybe 8 trips a year... First lease that had hogs was about 60 miles one way, & few more hunts.. The last lease was maybe 20 miles one way... Then the WMA opened up just down the road... Last several years, high-gas prices mostly walked ta me stand ta hunt... Last year did scrape up enough doe ta spend few bucks on the WMA permit the last couple weeks of hog general season... Snow on ground water easing threw me ducktaped tennies.. rofl they was finaly getting broke in after years of wondering about the woods, ran out of PVC glue... rofl yagh hadta been thar... Tis Blessed with the low gas prices this year.. bang unfortunatly not able ta play in dem Dar hunting games, feel like Rodalph deer .. Been hunten place ta pull me home away from home ... Yagh them Republicans tis right bout Oboma Care rofl made a video, asking for a pardon... Been fighten them thar who doing away with jobs, workmans comp tis a joke, & gotta be damn near dead ta get disability... bang that thar Gov. been spying on me ever since found out got alien body parts... Been battleing phemonia last several weeks, every time think got it licked, keeps following me around & hits ya when ya not expecting it... Got me meds yesterday ... Got few things ta do before can take em, hope the bottle doesn't let me down, can't aford insurane... You'll have a Merry Christmas haveta rely on me android ta reach out & touch ones care bout... flag had ta Edit few errors in typing... flag
Posted By: passthru

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 04:28 PM

Before I started this business and use my truck for that as well at least half of my average of 15K miles per year were from Sept through January. But out of state trips help that number as well.

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 04:46 PM

bang

There isn't a truck made that doesn't rattle. My old dodge rattled the bumper off, the seat broke three times, amoung numerous other things.

While that is very true, and can be said of alomst all vehicles, the glove box should flop open due to rattling and the dash pad pop up while driving down the road. I truely loved my Fords, but hated paying that much for something that was fallinf apart before 50,000 miles. I bought this Dodge for the same reason JG said, the Cummins, if the rest of it falls apart then I wont be mad becasue I bought this truck not expecting much.
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:19 PM

I measure my trips in minutes, not miles. 4 trips to the woods before I got a deer, probably add up to an hour or two. I will probably head out for squirrel before the season ends.
I would guess that I drive less than 500 miles a year, for all of my fishing and hunting, combined. And I like to fish a lot.
The trick to finding a honey hole, and keep it interesting with new spots to rotate, is to use google maps. I use google maps to find streams and ponds, and access points for less traveled portions of lakes and rivers/tributaries. It works for me up
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:23 PM

I use to drive more, but finally bought land in Oklahoma that not only is my best property, but also quickest to get to 83 miles and just over hour trip.

Previously I had lease out by Olney that was over 2 hours one way and crappy hunting. Then owned land in Oklahoma that was 6 hour drive or 90 minute flight to local airport.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 05:37 PM

I don't do too many miles. A round trip to family property or lease is 250 miles. But then I hunt every weekend during deer season (about 3000 miles) and almost every weekend during the year.
Posted By: Western

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 06:07 PM

Right now with no lease, I walk about 150 yards..

Drive about 2000-2200 each year hunting Colorado though.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 07:25 PM

10,530 give or take.

cheers
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/24/15 11:25 PM

We're north of 15k, but it's work too
Posted By: 30378

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/25/15 02:05 AM

Our place is 345 one way or 690 round trip miles door to door. It is 36 miles round trip to the nearest town. Per season we are close to 7000 miles total for hunting.

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/25/15 03:18 AM

bang

While that is very true, and can be said of alomst all vehicles, the glove box should flop open due to rattling and the dash pad pop up while driving down the road. I truely loved my Fords, but hated paying that much for something that was fallinf apart before 50,000 miles. I bought this Dodge for the same reason JG said, the Cummins, if the rest of it falls apart then I wont be mad becasue I bought this truck not expecting much.

Lol ok that last part was pretty damn funny.

Really they are all good trucks, compared to 20 years ago.

You either get the Tuesday built truck or the Friday truck

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/25/15 03:23 AM

10,530 give or take.

A lot of that country is checker boarded. Section at a time. Lot of farmers and ranchers over the years have sold bought traded etc. so job Bob farmer may have a section here then five miles down the road another section, then a quarter section over here etc. hard to explain until you have been up there.

Ranchers/farms that don't follow the section flow are normally river bottom or drainage type areas.
Posted By: Birdog62

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/25/15 07:41 AM

4.3 miles driveway to stand, twice a day on Saturday and Sunday starting in October plus one full week in November twice a day and one full week in December twice a day.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/25/15 12:57 PM

Lol ok that last part was pretty damn funny.

Really they are all good trucks, compared to 20 years ago.

You either get the Tuesday built truck or the Friday truck

Posted By: Freeman

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/25/15 01:15 PM

About 3000 miles---going to the ranches at least twice a week which is a 90 mile round trip. Dang, I wish you hadn't asked.

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/25/15 01:22 PM

You zip it STX with the heated tailgate joke roflmao
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 12/28/15 01:00 AM

Houston>Colorado and back
Houston>Reserve NM and back
Houston>Oklahoma and back
4 or 5 trips to Camp wood area from Houston

Id say well over 5000k
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/07/16 05:24 PM

37 miles (45 minutes) one way to my property.
Go hunting maybe 10-15 days a season (no housing YET). Plus about everyother weekend to fill feeder, maintain, and walk fencelines.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/07/16 05:36 PM

bang

Chocolate still looks as purdy as the day I drove her off the lot Amigo...few minor set backs on our long term Goals together ..8 new injectors and 4 new sensors ..Got a new pair of brakes and betcha she's good for another 169 if I wanna push it...been kicking a can around "thinking" about it but that vehicle is as clean as a whistle man..never had any rattles you speak of, have a little whistling wind noise on the 15 if the winds blowing the right way on the freeway ...I will find it eventually ..Truly been good vehicles so far

FIL has a '14 ford, quietest vehicle ive been in. Heck my old man is a 20+ year GM man and his next truck will be a Ford but I got him talked into keeping the d-max a little longer... but it rattles like a rattle trap!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/07/16 05:39 PM

Our round trip to and fro is about 320 miles. We go at least once a month year round and quite a bit more often during the season and pre season. The driving is split between three of us and we ride together though. Made several runs just to hunt, no feed etc. and drove a car 35 mpg is a nice change from 15 with a loaded trailer.
Posted By: Erny

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 03:57 AM

At least 10 k but 5 k of that was to hunt in British Columbia. As went on a few far west Texas hunts and than 15 or so trips to the lease at 150 a round trip.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 04:28 AM

I just realized I've tacked on another 1100 for hunting since I posted the question. Yowch. Was thinking I'd slow down since I bucked out, but not so much. Heading out again tomorrow.
Posted By: PMK

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 02:03 PM

hmmm, interesting topic ... it might take a little time to add all mine up, but I suspect it's easily in the several thousand range not counting the trip to CO elk hunting (which would add a couple more thousand). I'll be back with close to real numbers ...
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 03:02 PM

For just hunting, it looks like it was around 5200. This doesn't include preseason trips getting stands, feeders, pens ready and clearing brush.

This includes
-2100...7 trips to the FIL's place at 300 total miles round trip. I stay at their house and drive 15 miles one way to my stand.
~600...a trip to Ozona with my dad (pmk) and my brother in law
~2500...a trip to Colorado for the DIY elk hunt. I had exact mileage shortly after the trip, but forgot that number.
Posted By: cp50948

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 03:06 PM

8 Miles from my front door in town (small town) to the lease. 400 miles to family land in E. Texas. Make the 400 mile trip one a year. Probably a little over 1000 a year.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 03:26 PM

228 miles from driveway to front gate plus runs into town of 18 miles each way. Probably do 500-550 each trip and I've made 10 trips since the end of Aug.
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 03:55 PM

140 miles each way door to door. 300 miles a weekend give or take. That's every weekend, hunting or not.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 04:07 PM

222 miles round trip......go every week during deer season and twice a month rest of the year.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 04:36 PM

2500-3000.
Posted By: PMK

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 06:42 PM

rough calculations 5100 miles for whitetail in Texas this season plus 2100 on the DIY CO elk trip ... 7200 miles (so far)

heading to Ozona this weekend and then Oatmeal several times next weekend to take SIL and likely next Sun. afternoon to my lease to finish out in Llano county ... so will end up slightly over 8000 miles for hunting this season.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 06:43 PM

8 miles to the furthest property, 4 to furthest lease, 2 to closest lease, 50yrds to closest stand
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/08/16 07:41 PM

I'm right around 12,000 - 13,000 so far this year. That is kind of a depressing thing to calculate.
Posted By: therancher

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/09/16 04:48 PM

I used to put around 70,000/year on trucks and an excursion combined. Retirement and living on a ranch has cut that significantly.
Posted By: daulongranch

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/11/16 08:44 PM

242 miles to my place. I stay all season. so, my total comes up to 484 miles.
Posted By: Dirtsaver

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/11/16 09:24 PM

About 3,000 total for about 10 trips out. Is that tax deductible? I'm guessing not.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/11/16 10:33 PM

Frisco to Kerrville, about 5 times a year
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/13/16 02:01 PM

530 miles each way. 1060 round trip. Corpus to Dickens. Purchased land just before retirement so I knew stays would be extended. 3 trips during deer season Archery and gun. We stay about a month each trip so about 3180 miles for the season. I'm sure you ask why so far??? This area offered the lowest cost to purchase our own place, We don't regret it and are now in our 5th year.
Posted By: esnow74

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 02:45 AM

I drive around 5000-6000 miles during deer season for hunting purposes. That's going to and from the lease and any other non lease hunting trips.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 03:06 AM

About 130 to grandparents and from there anywhere from 1.5-10 depends on what property we are hunting. Now I am living with my grandparents though and going to school over there so I practically live on my deer lease now.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 04:28 AM

200 miles per week is pretty standard for me, which is 2 trips per week.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 04:36 AM

105 miles to lease. About 22 trips a year. 4,500 miles. If I add side hunts to S. Tex and W. Tex then another 1,500 miles. I work from home so it isn't too bad.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 06:00 AM

200 mile to lease. It is a year round lease with dove deer and turkey. This year has been cheaper because of the weather
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 11:47 AM

I drove 3200+ miles round trip to hunt with Sneaky and the gang in Colorado...
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 10:14 PM

I estimate that I will put 40,000 miles on my pickups traveling to and from hunts and hunting this year. Cheaper gas will help with fuel costs but the low oil prices are not good for the Texas economy.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: titan2232

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/14/16 10:20 PM

450 miles from Conroe to our lease. Large capacity feeders going in this year to reduce trips
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/15/16 01:30 AM

1/4 mile to nearest blind 10 to the farthest. Live here and still put 200 miles a week on the truck.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: How many miles do you drive to hunt - season total - 01/15/16 04:02 AM

Around 16,000 for deer season. About 1,500 miles per trip to Kansas hunts, about 700 for texas hunts. This includes driving from camp to property.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum