Texas Hunting Forum

So what if...

Posted By: Regular Guy

So what if... - 12/23/15 11:51 PM

Apparently there are two basic types of hunters-Starbucks/Eddie Bauer/Yeti types, versus no actual "camo", dip of snuff and black folgers types. What if...

What if the only camo you have is a two year old pair of pants you got at walmart for $5 three season ago

What if you paid less than $200 for your only rifle on clearance at Wally's... and put the cheapest Tasco in the store on it...

What if you just killed your first deer... even if you did hunt and fish most of your life...

What if you hunt out of your minivan (only vehicle) that gets stuck so easy you can't take it off a hardball road...

What if you had to drag that first deer, whole, all the way to said van and hurry to the check in station before "field" dressing to keep blood from getting in your wife's van, cause you know she'll have your @+$$!...

... And in 7 years of marriage you've failed to get her to even *taste* of squirrel or rabbit or any freshly killed "game meat" besides a fried catfish...

What kind of hunter am I?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: So what if... - 12/23/15 11:53 PM

Same
Kind
95%
Of
Us
Are....

That is, the kind that enjoy hunting for what it is, rather than all the goofy gear that we bring along
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 12:53 AM

Sorry, but you lost me at 7 years without a harvest...

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 12:58 AM

No deer. I can't count the number of other critters i have gotten in this time...

Edit- of course to get a deer, would require you to have a place to hunt, a legal and ethical weapon, and time to get there.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:09 AM

Quote:
What kind of hunter am I

cheers A Regular Guy .... Don't get caught up in the hype... flag
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:10 AM

I'm cool with everything but the minivan thing. No way one of those is getting in my driveway unless it's someone just pulling in to turn around. Even then I think I'd have a problem with it. grin
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:13 AM

Posted By: tlk

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:20 AM

most start out as a regular guy - life and your decisions lead you where you end up - good or bad

it is all relative - simple as that
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Regular Guy
Apparently there are two basic types of hunters-Starbucks/Eddie Bauer/Yeti types, versus no actual "camo", dip of snuff and black folgers types. What if...

What if the only camo you have is a two year old pair of pants you got at walmart for $5 three season ago

What if you paid less than $200 for your only rifle on clearance at Wally's... and put the cheapest Tasco in the store on it...

What if you just killed your first deer... even if you did hunt and fish most of your life...

What if you hunt out of your minivan (only vehicle) that gets stuck so easy you can't take it off a hardball road...

What if you had to drag that first deer, whole, all the way to said van and hurry to the check in station before "field" dressing to keep blood from getting in your wife's van, cause you know she'll have your @+$$!...

... And in 7 years of marriage you've failed to get her to even *taste* of squirrel or rabbit or any freshly killed "game meat" besides a fried catfish...

A regular guy hunting in Oklahoma 5 years ago when they still had check stations
Posted By: 68A

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:32 AM

Not sure what you're looking for. Walmart still sells camo, there's usually a good deal on a decent rifle to be had in the classifieds and trucks aren't a requirement for hunting. There's plenty of hunters just like you and I out there. No reason to complain.

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: 68A
Not sure what you're looking for. Walmart still sells camo, there's usually a good deal on a decent rifle to be had in the classifieds and trucks aren't a requirement for hunting. There's plenty of hunters just like you and I out there. No reason to complain.

I'm not complaining. I hope ya'll are not all taking me that seriously...

Maybe i should have added some banana aim hammer violin flag
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 01:54 AM

Brought my first deer home in the trunk of a 1973 Dodge Charger. Used my dads 98 Mauser in 30:06 with open sights.
Yea i'm old, the car was new.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:00 AM

Even I could head to the woods in my 79' F-250 wearing ten year old Wal-Mart faded camo, with my 30 year old 10/22 and 20 year old Marlin 336. I'd have a great time and come back with something to eat, even if it were hauled in a styrofoam cooler.

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:05 AM

rofl that thar could put ya on the ignorance list flag

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

You mean I haven't got stuck on that list yet? confused2
Posted By: Phantom

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:17 AM

never been much for camo. Growing up we spent all of our money on reloading and good rifles.
Posted By: passthru

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:49 AM

One that should take up golf. Or video games.

No one needs a yeti but I couldn't go that long without punching a tag.

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
One that should take up golf. Or video games.

No one needs a yeti but I couldn't go that long without punching a tag.

But i HATE golf... and i care even less about video games. I like to fish though... and i won't get arrested for it after dark...

Posted By: passthru

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 03:45 AM

Well then, there you go. Harry said "A man's got to know his limitations." I believe the limit on those is about 25 per day.

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

You mean I haven't got stuck on that list yet? confused2

rofl naw... Your post has good English.. Merry Christmas flag
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 04:49 AM

Not a yuppie Hunter. Old igloo cooler, wrangler jeans but do have a camo coat and 4 wheeler. Do have a truck, 4 wheel drive. Don't buy all the carp on the market to "assist" in hunting, like scent lock etc. bit old school, I use natural scent cover and pay attention to wind direction, whether I am still hunting or sitting in a blind. A good fresh cedar branch is in my duffel where my clothes are. I invest only in a good reliable rifle, scope and ammo. And comfortable silent clothing. Now having said all that, plenty of rabbit, squirrel, deer, and hog have found there way next to the taters. Oh and dove and quail. ATV is just a mode of transport to get me close, but then it is boots on the ground. Hunted once with a guy who had a mini van as well, only difference was he just had to walk much farther and drag out his kill further.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 05:36 AM

Nice tummy tattoo, RG. Can't help but pick on it a little bit. No ragrets yo! Know whut I'm sayin?

Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:31 PM

A hunter is what you are..
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:46 PM

Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 02:48 PM

Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 03:13 PM

gotta start somewhere. good job.
now get to work on you're cooking skillz; my 'I ain't gonna touch that' wife now fights to get the rarest (red inside) piece of backstrap that comes off the grill!

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
Nice tummy tattoo, RG. Can't help but pick on it a little bit. No ragrets yo! Know whut I'm sayin?

cheers

Yeah but I love this picture. I have thought of photoshopping the tattoo out.

My daughters are big enough to ask questions about stuff like this. I didn't "ragret" it until that point. I would hate for one of the girls to bring home a tattoed thug. bang

I never thought of myself as one, though. You can't tell a book by it's cover I guess would apply. confused2

At least it doesn't say "thug life" up
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 06:00 PM

You are more what the yuppie hunters ought to be in my opinion.

Regarding the minivan, I have a perfectly good 4x4 truck. Some places I go it's necessary, others not at all. I could hunt solely on places that don't need it and sell it. Doesn't matter. Just a couple years ago I arrived at a lease and a ranch hand asked why I don't drive back to my blinds vs parking up front and hoofing it. My response: two reasons, 1) I enjoy the outdoors so making the hike is a part of why I'm there; 2) the hike on foot doesn't take much longer than driving but is much less hassle than dealing with multiple gates and the cattle that want to get through them.

I don't have fancy equipment and likely am less successful than many others here but, to me, that doesn't matter. Don't get caught up in comparisons. You do what you can and what you want. That approach will be more enjoyable than thinking about the overpriced cooler, the 4x4 you don't need, a European scope with the four digit price tag that doesn't appear any different than a Chinese-made "budget" model, and whatever the latest camo with scent control is. My grandfathers didn't have a single piece of camo.

Hunt on.

Cheers.
Posted By: JH117

Re: So what if... - 12/24/15 08:23 PM

I have the igloo cooler, 04 explorer with a blood stain in the back from my buck cuz I don't own a pickup truck. (Not yet anyway) I get my camo at Walmart and academy after season on clearance. This is only my second year to hunt and I love sporting head to toe camo even when I'm in the blind. Just makes the moment feel right! I shot my first deer with a borrowed 30-06. The second one with my son's 7mm-08 with a $50 Simmons scope. I own a 30-30 but haven't put a scope on it yet. Only reason I have a place to hunt is because we rent a house on 120 acres of family land. I enjoy the hell out of though and that's all that matters. My son and I can bond better being outdoors rather than sitting in front of a video game console. Doesn't matter how you do it or what kind of equipment you use as long as it makes you happy. I can't sit here and say that if I had a lot of money I wouldn't have a yeti or a big pickup, but right now I'm good to go just the way I am!
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: So what if... - 12/25/15 12:01 AM

Idk what I am I guess.

Have a nice 4wd truck
A nice rifle in a fancy stock, just bought a nice new scope with target turrets today
Have a fair bit of cano (all of it from Walmart)
Hunt from a homemade wooden quad pod or a brush blind
My wife eats every bit of wild animal I bring home
And I hunt on 100 acres of family land for free

But guys like me take a little offense to the original post, when you somehow make yourself sound better than the guy who has a good enough job to buy some toys.

Re: So what if... - 12/25/15 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Idk what I am I guess.

Have a nice 4wd truck
A nice rifle in a fancy stock, just bought a nice new scope with target turrets today
Have a fair bit of cano (all of it from Walmart)
Hunt from a homemade wooden quad pod or a brush blind
My wife eats every bit of wild animal I bring home
And I hunt on 100 acres of family land for free

But guys like me take a little offense to the original post, when you somehow make yourself sound better than the guy who has a good enough job to buy some toys.

More power to you...
Posted By: HS2

Re: So what if... - 12/25/15 09:56 AM

What few deer I've shot is with a pawn shop special rifle with a Tasco scope. I started with an old blue handkerchief wrapped around my face for camo. Now I've graduated to a free camo shirt someone gave me. Cheap is the new cool.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: So what if... - 12/26/15 05:51 PM

I can tell you what your NOT... and that's a One Upper up
If you enjoy hunting your way there is no need to change cheers
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 04:02 PM

I didn't own a 4x4 until I was 41 years old; I still don't play with it and still avoid mud like I did with a 4x2.

My first deer rifle was a borrowed 03A3 Springfield. I finally bought a Marlin 3030, then a remington 742 .

I didn't even have a backpack, or anything to put into one. Wore a hunting knife on my belt. Didn't own camo for many years, but now I do wear it. Especially when not hunting from a blind.

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 04:54 PM

confused2 What good is camo if ya were safety orange over it... rofl My hog hunts are on WMA... For archery season my daughter & wife made me hunting attire from a tan fabric with wolves from Walmart... Blends in great with the tree... bang trouble is they did such a great job, only worn it few times, didn't want ta ruin it... Tis my favoret, up twas made with Love .... Usualy huntsolo in military cloths, or me blue jeans.... flag
Posted By: Grizz

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 05:17 PM

It kills me how many people here get so worked up and judgmental over whether or not someone wears camo. I wear camo sometimes when it's not needed, but not because I think it's doing anything. I buy camo clothes for when I hunt from a tripod. I'm not buying a complete collection of non-camo clothes specifically for hunting. I layer my clothes when it's cold, so the layer that ends up on top just depends on the temperature. When I'm hunting in a box blind the top layer may be something camo, my black zippered hoodie, my green coat, or whatever. There's really no more thought put into than that and I don't care if the top layer is camo or not. I guess around here that makes me "that guy".
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 05:25 PM

No fancy 4x4 truck (like the ones in the hunting rigs) not even close to my p/u, black jeans, black shirt, Carhart jacket, hat(a gift), rifle my dad bought me in 1965 (Winchester 30-06). I'm a regular guy - who cares?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 06:37 PM

Maybe you shouldn't pass judgment on other hunters when you just shot your first deer. Congratulations on that, a first deer is a huge accomplishment. But while I hope your point in this was to simply say you were about to get it done with the bare essentials, it came off as you saying you were a better hunter than the guys who can afford the things that I'd imagine, you would be happy to have if you were able to right now.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 06:55 PM

What kind of hunter ?

A drama queen from what I read

Be happy that you re physically able to hunt

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Maybe you shouldn't pass judgment on other hunters when you just shot your first deer. Congratulations on that, a first deer is a huge accomplishment. But while I hope your point in this was to simply say you were about to get it done with the bare essentials, it came off as you saying you were a better hunter than the guys who can afford the things that I'd imagine, you would be happy to have if you were able to right now.

Like i said, more power to you. I got your point the first time, you missed mine. I touched on that same thing you're telling me, in another thread. But I digress...

If you're looking for an argument, you're not getting it from me.

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
What kind of hunter ?

A drama queen from what I read

Be happy that you re physically able to hunt

You got me pegged, for sure

banana
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: So what if... - 12/27/15 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Looks like some fellas from Lipan
Posted By: wetduck

Re: So what if... - 12/28/15 12:35 AM

sounds like a hunter needing to up grade across the board LOL

i shot my first deer with a sporterized 7.62 argentine wrapped in in a tarp with ice and slid it in the bed of my 76 chevy, (this was 96) save money were u can to hunt what u want
now i dont wear camo, but have a yeti, dont do starbucks but have a keurig in the camper

do what makes you happy

Re: So what if... - 12/28/15 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: wetduck
sounds like a hunter needing to up grade across the board LOL

i shot my first deer with a sporterized 7.62 argentine wrapped in in a tarp with ice and slid it in the bed of my 76 chevy, (this was 96) save money were u can to hunt what u want
now i dont wear camo, but have a yeti, dont do starbucks but have a keurig in the camper

do what makes you happy

Right on, man. If i had the expendable income, I'd probably have several custom rifles. There is at least a scope upgrade in the near future for me, for sure.

I would love to have a .30-378 Weatherby in walnut. I probably wouldn't even hunt with it much if I had one. I imagine it's not fun to shoot. And I don't even know enough about top end optics to tell you what kind of scope I'd put on that. Until i became active on this forum, Leupold MKIV was top-end to me.

I'd love a custom long range rig, too. In something a little more easy on the shoulder... maybe a .243 with a fast twist. Maybe a sweet custom handmade bow, too. And a lot of other things.

And like I said before, if I had land I'd have me a feeder on it and whatever else I could afford to give the animals a reason to cross my fence.
But land/lease or not, I'd probably still itch to hunt public land, especially if it was convenient enough of to get to. Nothing wrong with doing what you can to better the odds, but you probably like to have a hard hunt too. Plenty of dudes will spend 25 grand on the hunt of a lifetime, that involves a whole lot of hard work with no promises. The same dudes will put out a feeder or even hunt a high fence ranch at times. Why can't you have both worlds, if you can afford it?

This has been my stance from the beginning. I never judged anyone on how they hunt. You better believe for my daughters first deer hunts, i will have a blind, a feeder, and hot cocoa by God!

That said, you won't catch me drinking startbucks or using a yeti... unless mandated by my wife... bolt

I never intended to put anyone off with this thread...
Posted By: Oneshot.308

Re: So what if... - 02/23/16 06:01 AM

No Worries Regular Guy!
Some people don't take the time to actually READ the post. Or the other posts that follow to get some sense of the intent, and they are probably drama queens themselves as they don't pay much attention to anything else, just what they want to spout off about. You sound like a guy I would take hunting for your child's 1st hunt on my lease if you didn't have a blind, feeder. You'll have to provide your own hot cocoa though.
Good Luck

Re: So what if... - 02/23/16 10:39 AM

I think most of us started off that way. I am older now and have some more disposable income than I did then. My only hobby is shooting and hunting. (I also like to be comfortable) The days of me having to reuse the same aluminum arrow are over. thank God. Glad your our there hunting but one is no better than the next.
I break down a little like this.
Own several Yeti coolers
don't like the taste of starbucks prefer mcdonalds coffee (also want to order saying small medium and large etc)
own a 4x4 truck
shoot a custom rifle with a great scope
Dont usually wear camo for deer (generally sitting in a box it doesnt make sense)
Like a big comfortable insulated stand with solar charged battery for my Ipad.
I video more than I hunt now however I have let several of my brothers kids shoot management bucks. we all split up the meat
Good luck this next year we all started somewhere it will be fun in 30 years to look back and think about where you were then vs now.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: So what if... - 02/23/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe
I'm cool with everything but the minivan thing. No way one of those is getting in my driveway unless it's someone just pulling in to turn around. Even then I think I'd have a problem with it. grin

My first deer in TX was taken to the processor on the hood of my Lexus sedan. rofl

Thought that the processor was going to stroke out from laughing so hard when I pulled into the parking lot. He told me to hurry up and get around back before anyone saw me. By the time I got there his wife was waiting with the camera to take pictures. grin

Must have had 20 people pull up along side me on the highway taking pictures with their phones. confused2

To the OP, that drag was about 400 yards, all up hill. I was so blown out when I got there that I couldn't get it on the trunk so I had to put it on the hood.
Posted By: ttechcolleyville

Re: So what if... - 02/23/16 05:46 PM

I must be "trans-hunter". I fall into the first category but prefer to hunt with those in the other category.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: So what if... - 02/24/16 08:03 PM

Yep, pictures always help. clap

Re: So what if... - 02/28/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Yep, pictures always help. clap

Even a caveman can read it.... flag

Re: So what if... - 02/28/16 09:35 PM

In October its hot and I will generally wear hiking boots and shorts. We are MLD so we rifle hunt a lot in October. If I am hunting in a box blind I will not wear camo. It is funny when hunters come out in their snake boots and browning camo that they got at Cabelas the week before and get upset because I am not dressed the same. Over the years now it has become a joke of our returning guests they are disappointed if I am not wearing shorts and a t shirt. I wear camo if it is needed but I dont think its a big deal. I will not drive a mini Van.... I have to draw the line some where. lol
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: So what if... - 02/29/16 02:13 AM

When I started deer hunting fifty years ago, there were so few deer in East Texas that you could easily go 4/5 times without even seeing one. I think I killed my first one in East Texas when I was about 21, which means I had been hunting them about five years. It was a three point buck. Boy, was I proud. I was poor folks for a long time before I could afford all the " necessities " to hunt " correctly ".

Now, I just do my thing and couldn't care less what anyone thinks. Age will cure lots of pc ills. More power to you OP !
Posted By: redchevy

Re: So what if... - 02/29/16 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: ttechcolleyville
I must be "trans-hunter". I fall into the first category but prefer to hunt with those in the other category.

tranny? eeks333
Posted By: redchevy

Re: So what if... - 02/29/16 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Regular Guy
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

cheers

Yeah but I love this picture. I have thought of photoshopping the tattoo out.

My daughters are big enough to ask questions about stuff like this. I didn't "ragret" it until that point. I would hate for one of the girls to bring home a tattoed thug. bang

I never thought of myself as one, though. You can't tell a book by it's cover I guess would apply. confused2

At least it doesn't say "thug life" up

Gotta love it don't want to be judged for your tattoo but don't want your daughter bringing home no tattoed up thug roflmao
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: So what if... - 02/29/16 06:51 PM

Some people have to or choose to spend the money elsewhere.. more power to you for making do. I have a couple yetis, a nice 4x4 truck, and my guns were all gifts, or inherited, some are fairly nice. I saved for the yetis, I sometimes need the ice-retention they offer as we go off-shore for days on end sometimes. My camo is almost exclusively Game Winner from academy.. usually purchased on clearance. My '09 sierra SLT 4x4 is a dream truck that I am still extremely proud of (as it is nearing 100k miles)

Point is, if you can go out, using whatever equipment you have, enjoy the outdoors, and maybe bring back some meat every now and then, you're doing it right.

Last point - Make sure the kids learn and enjoy it as much as you do!

Re: So what if... - 03/01/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Regular Gut

I never intended to put anyone off with this thread...

cheers flag
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: So what if... - 03/01/16 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
You are more what the yuppie hunters ought to be in my opinion.

Regarding the minivan, I have a perfectly good 4x4 truck. Some places I go it's necessary, others not at all. I could hunt solely on places that don't need it and sell it. Doesn't matter. Just a couple years ago I arrived at a lease and a ranch hand asked why I don't drive back to my blinds vs parking up front and hoofing it. My response: two reasons, 1) I enjoy the outdoors so making the hike is a part of why I'm there; 2) the hike on foot doesn't take much longer than driving but is much less hassle than dealing with multiple gates and the cattle that want to get through them.

I don't have fancy equipment and likely am less successful than many others here but, to me, that doesn't matter. Don't get caught up in comparisons. You do what you can and what you want. That approach will be more enjoyable than thinking about the overpriced cooler, the 4x4 you don't need, a European scope with the four digit price tag that doesn't appear any different than a Chinese-made "budget" model, and
whatever the latest camo with scent control is. My grandfathers didn't have a single piece of camo.

X-2 up
Hunt on.

Cheers.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: So what if... - 03/01/16 08:57 PM

Man some folks are touchy confused2

I have an uncle who has killed more deer than anyone I know. I'm not 100% sure if he even owns a piece of camo clothing. All I've ever seen him wear hunting is plaid shirts and jeans. He drives a Honda Accord, for gas mileage and reliability. He strictly hunts public land, can't afford to pay for a lease. He doesn't own a climbing stand, ladder stand, anything of that nature. He scouts during squirrel season for sign, and walks a LONG WAYS in to the national forest. He's a squirrel, rabbit, and deer killing machine.

I have a 4x4, have been on a lease the vast majority of my hunting days, wear camo about half the time, don't own a Yeti, I drink coffee of any kind, but prefer Starbucks dark roast with nothing added (why screw up good coffee with sugar and creamer? grin ) I own multiple rifles with decent optics, and I kill enough to get by every year until season rolls around again.

Do what you have to do to get out in the woods. Screw what anyone else thinks up
Posted By: Greg

Re: So what if... - 03/01/16 09:03 PM

I tend not to worry what someone i don't know might think of me...I don't know'em so why the heck would it matter?
Im gonna spend my money the way I want...it's got nothing to do with anyone else cause it ain't their money!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: So what if... - 03/01/16 09:34 PM

About that Tasco scope, I bought one on sale about 20 years ago and it has consistently needed the least adjustment. Guess I just got a good one. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum