Texas Hunting Forum

quesiton about pics on camera

Posted By: txhunter1010

quesiton about pics on camera - 12/22/15 02:20 PM

So my card on my game cam says like 300 something pics...but when I put it in the computer and I start looking at the pics, when you are moving from pic to pic, one time you will have a pic and then click next and it says no image available file can not be read....so is that a card issue, game cam issue or what...never had this happen...
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/22/15 02:29 PM

Could be either, but most likely a corrupt card. Try a new card in your camera.

Old card 'might' work if all pics are erased and the card reformatted.

SD cards (if not over 16 gigs) are inexpensive, so you might try a new one first.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/22/15 02:37 PM

That same thing happens to me but only about 10 photos out of 500. I use several different cameras and it happens on all of them, however all of my cards are about 3 years old and I get at least a 1,000 photos a week off of each one. I do erase all the photos off of the cards after downloading them to my computer. So, my guess is the same as flintknapper, get a new card if you have a lot that can't be read. Oh, also, I notice that as my batteries get low I get more of the can't read photos. And most of mine happen at night.
Posted By: Western

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/22/15 04:15 PM

I get one or 2 like that every year, so I always reformat each SD after looking at them. i have a couple SD's that are over 5 years old and still run great.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/22/15 04:41 PM

I'd try reformatting it first (in the camera). If that doesn't help then I'd get a new card, and as pointed out above make sure your batteries are decent.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/22/15 06:10 PM

cool thanks
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/22/15 10:49 PM

And it's usually best to erase the pictures with the camera rather than on the computer.
Posted By: Zach S

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/23/15 12:02 AM

Each time you put a card in a camera, you should format it. It helps bind that card to the camera and removes "ghost" images that aren't truly deleted from the SD card when you hook it up the the computer and do so.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/23/15 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'd try reformatting it first (in the camera). If that doesn't help then I'd get a new card, and as pointed out above make sure your batteries are decent.

Originally Posted By: Zachary Symm
Each time you put a card in a camera, you should format it. It helps bind that card to the camera and removes "ghost" images that aren't truly deleted from the SD card when you hook it up the the computer and do so.

Both of these are where I'd start. Zachary explained more of the why. If that doesn't work, I'd buy a new card.
Posted By: Accutrigger33

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/24/15 02:55 AM

Also use sandisk sd cards...others are junk
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: quesiton about pics on camera - 12/24/15 04:58 AM

Agree with Accutrigger. Also, a lot of game cams for some reason don't do well when the chip is over 2gb. We have tested numerous brands on our ranch with 2, 4 and 8 gig cards. By far the 2 gig cards nearly always work. As someone else posted, format the card while in the camera, as it will create a folder specific to write to that camera. Also, the HDSD cards usually won't work well. Just a standard SD card. Hope this helps.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum