Texas Hunting Forum

Dead Deer

Posted By: General Guts

Dead Deer - 12/12/15 01:17 PM

Here in Alabama I see dead dear on the highway weekly. Are there parts of Texas the same way ? ... confused2
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 01:41 PM

I20 in Weatherford always seems to have a fair number. Someone out that way has a pretty good collection of scratched up euro mounts, based on all the ones with heads missing.

I still don't understand why it's illegal to do that.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 02:09 PM

The hill country of TX has dead deer almost every 10 miles of hwy.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
The hill country of TX has dead deer almost every 10 miles of hwy.

Some parts of east Texas is the same....lots of hogs, coons, opossums, and tree rats too....
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 04:41 PM

I always know when the pre-rut starts around here when the young bucks start showing up dead on the highway between my house and town.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 04:51 PM

scratch Live in 4 deer county here, around 2010 twas buck only cause not enough deer... Rather than the HF theory, we use the Big Bang Theory rofl ta educate or deer... Hog shows up at feeder bang, grillen & chillen... Legal deer, up ta shooter, bang grillen & chillen deer go nocturnal & much tougher hunt... Refur back to 2010 4 deer county, & still see very few deer hit on roads do ta BBT rofl my truck back-fires bang ... As pappy says: Saves tax payers money on dem dar deer crossing signs... flag
Posted By: Western

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER
I always know when the pre-rut starts around here when the young bucks start showing up dead on the highway between my house and town.

Booner, I did a job last weekend near you (Early, Heartland mall) We drove down 183 from 20. Saw one dead deer North of town on 183 and that was it? drove to Weatherford up to Springtown, in fact we only saw one "live" deer driving both ways, odd to say the least.

I actually hit a deer 6 or so years ago when the crew and I where headed to work in Brownwood, used to be deer all over 183.
Posted By: don k

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 06:20 PM

Around here you seem to see more Axis road kills than WT. Axis are not real smart when it comes to traffic.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Around here you seem to see more Axis road kills than WT. Axis are not real smart when it comes to traffic.

That's what I was gonna say about 377 south of Junction.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 06:57 PM

I drove 153 from Winters to Coleman the weekend before Thanksgiving, it was littered with dead deer. Probably one every three miles, maybe more.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 07:08 PM

HWY 84 between Gatesville and Goldthwaite is generally pretty bad.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I drove 153 from Winters to Coleman the weekend before Thanksgiving, it was littered with dead deer. Probably one every three miles, maybe more.

rofl them thar deer won't make it in texasHF debate AR rules of is this deer old enough or big enough... Sounds like counties not doing thar job... Cost tax payers money, insurances go up... They got deer crossing signs along these roads confused2 people need ta slow down, special at night, every one in a hurry... As pappy says: Tis why like the if its legal, tis my tag.... look at debate bout deer with bolt in neck... flag
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: Dead Deer - 12/12/15 09:20 PM

On 59 and 77 Houston to Kingsville
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Dead Deer - 12/13/15 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Booner, I did a job last weekend near you (Early, Heartland mall) We drove down 183 from 20. Saw one dead deer North of town on 183 and that was it? drove to Weatherford up to Springtown, in fact we only saw one "live" deer driving both ways, odd to say the least.

I actually hit a deer 6 or so years ago when the crew and I where headed to work in Brownwood, used to be deer all over 183.

Western for whatever reason there haven't been as many on 183 this year but 377 is a different story.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Dead Deer - 12/14/15 05:37 AM

I normally see a few even on 114 near Westlake but none this year. None on 287 either.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Dead Deer - 12/14/15 01:14 PM

One near Rhome on 114 and one on 287 between Rhome and Decatur just a couple days ago. Plenty of live ones on the back forty.
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Dead Deer - 12/15/15 03:06 PM

Lots of dead deer on the side of the road south of Hamilton too.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Dead Deer - 12/15/15 04:45 PM

Any road in Val Verde county will usually have at least one dead deer on it most days of the year. Full moon will have a dead deer about every 2 miles on 90 west of Del Rio.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum