Texas Hunting Forum

Mountain Lion

Posted By: KennyLee

Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 02:35 PM

Saw one from the stand a few minutes ago. Would it respond to a call? Never hunted a cougar before.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 02:51 PM

Why didn't you shoot it?
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 03:14 PM

worthless
Posted By: decook

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 05:18 PM

I love these threads!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 06:41 PM

Go lay on the ground and squeal like a rabbit. We will see if it responds or not.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 06:51 PM

Don't know where you are hunting at, but if Mountain Lions are not known to commonly inhabit the area, then the Parks and Wildlife folks might like to know about your sighting. If there is any possibility the animal left distinguishable tracks or other empirical evidence, I KNOW they would be interested.

Flint.

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 09:30 PM

Hunting in Wise County, no doubt it was a mountain lion. Was about 500 yards and crossed a pipeline right of way. Got a good look at it through binoculars, but was gone before I could get my gun up. Would've been a hard shot regardless.

They're see somewhat often in my area. Had one on game cam several years ago.

Pretty cool to see but will be in mind walking around out here in the dark!

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/06/15 09:32 PM

Would be hard to get tracks where I saw it. There are cat tracks all over this place, but most are Bobcats. Have bobcats on my game cameras almost every time I pull the cards.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/07/15 12:04 AM

There's a lot of them out there!
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/07/15 02:09 AM

I've bagged a few cougars
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/07/15 02:10 AM

Usually at closing and they're the last option available..
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/07/15 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: dogdown23

Chances Are.... Lubbock Texas
Posted By: bp3

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/07/15 02:22 PM

Lot of mountain lions in that area, and west into Jack,Young,P.Pinto and Archer.A warden said Archer had a lot of sightings 6-8 years ago and Possum Kingdom lake the same. rifle
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/07/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
Why didn't you shoot it?

I'd love to see one, but have no interest in shooting one.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/07/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Chances Are.... Lubbock Texas

Cougar haven right there.

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Why didn't you shoot it?

So if you saw one on your inlaws place you wouldn't shoot it due to being an exotic?
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 02:39 AM

I've bagged a few cougars

You mean a few Cougars have bagged you bolt
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 02:47 AM

Best cougar hunting ranges from Plano, frisco, to grapevine
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: bp3
Lot of mountain lions in that area, and west into Jack,Young,P.Pinto and Archer.A warden said Archer had a lot of sightings 6-8 years ago and Possum Kingdom lake the same. rifle

I slung an arrow at one on the archer Baylor line about ten years ago
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Why didn't you shoot it?

So if you saw one on your inlaws place you wouldn't shoot it due to being an exotic?

You know, I always thought a cougar would be the ultimate trophy, especially if you were lucky enough to call it in. And who knows, if I was given the opportunity, I still may shoot one, lol. But after I watched a documentary on tv about them the other day, I've been thinking I'd give em a pass. Seems their mortality rate is dropping fast, and they have a hard enough time living, without hunters shooting them. But then again, why don't our all seeing/knowing government shut it down, if they are in such a decline? Eh, either way, I'm not much of a danger to them anyway. My eyes are bad, my nose is running and my feet are smelling. I'm all messed up.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 02:21 PM

I hunted south of I-10 between Ozona and Sheffield some years ago and land owner mention there was some down there that were hard on sheep. Told me if chance came up to shoot lion! I told him guess me and lion have same love of sheep...food source if hungry enough! If it was eating sheep and not deer I'm on the cats side! Sheep are born looking for place to die anyway!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 03:17 PM

Why didn't you shoot it?

No, no, no, of course not. Instead id throw it over that high fence to the East and let it feast on kudu, red stag, zebras, spider monkeys, 3 toed sloths, duckbilled platypus, panda bears and whatever else just got released for a "hunt".
Posted By: bp3

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 03:36 PM

Had two different chances on same cat ( young one ) years ago in central Nevada while Mule deer hunting. The second time he was above me under pinion pines watching me from about 50 yards laying on his belly. I squalled at him while looking through my scope and he just kept watching me and twitching his tail,and I thought he might think that I might be good eating and picked out a pine about 5 ft from him and cut loose. I think he jumped about 6 ft into the air and was gone. Talked to a dozer operator later that was redoing a mining road and he said I should have shot it but with no tag and didn't want to anyway. Very pretty animal and I know they kill their share of deer but they keep the herds in check. rifle
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/08/15 06:34 PM

A guy on a different forum killed one near junction. I'm pretty sure it was killed this last wknd. No way one is getting a pass if I see it.

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/09/15 02:52 AM

Why didn't you shoot it?

No, no, no, of course not. Instead id throw it over that high fence to the East and let it feast on kudu, red stag, zebras, spider monkeys, 3 toed sloths, duckbilled platypus, panda bears and whatever else just got released for a "hunt".

Please add "warthog" to the list. People make me want to bang!

Oh and DO NOT shoot a Panda if you see one and if you do remember the SSS. grin
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/09/15 04:34 PM

There is a lot more lions out there than people are aware of. I would venture to say the number of lions that have watched hunters unknowingly vs hunters watching cats would be mind blowing.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/09/15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian C.
There is a lot more lions out there than people are aware of. I would venture to say the number of lions that have watched hunters unknowingly vs hunters watching cats would be mind blowing.

No doubt you're right on that, but boy, that is so creepy.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/14/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff
Why didn't you shoot it?

You know, I always thought a cougar would be the ultimate trophy, especially if you were lucky enough to call it in. And who knows, if I was given the opportunity, I still may shoot one, lol. But after I watched a documentary on tv about them the other day, I've been thinking I'd give em a pass. Seems their mortality rate is dropping fast, and they have a hard enough time living, without hunters shooting them. But then again, why don't our all seeing/knowing government shut it down, if they are in such a decline? Eh, either way, I'm not much of a danger to them anyway. My eyes are bad, my nose is running and my feet are smelling. I'm all messed up.

There populations are actually increasing alot and there returning to there once native areas they were shot out of, many states have increased there # of tags and expanded their seasons.

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/14/15 02:29 PM

I agree with some of that, after doing a little googling, lol. Their numbers may be on the upswing in Texas. At least they have stabilized. The show I saw was about a study in the Grand Tetons. Here's a little tidbit I thought was interesting. Out of 200 large animal kills in Texas in 2014, not a single one was a domestic animal. But, it did consist of several deer and a lot of hogs. One thing the ranchers are proud of. They hate the big cat.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/14/15 07:33 PM

Here is one that was being passed around....a friend of a friend of a friend.....shot a year or two ago near Carrizo Springs.

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/14/15 11:13 PM

Dang, that's a big healthy one.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/15/15 04:06 AM

Can you imagine the smell of that thing?

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/15/15 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman

Can you imagine the smell of that thing?

Oh, hillll no! I'm deathly allergic to cat hair, furballs, poop, pee and all other associated nastiness of cats. I have two in my shop and can't stand em. They are just for critter control, nothing else. There's no way I could bear hug a big one like that dude ^^^^ Lol
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/19/15 12:34 AM

Choot em!
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/19/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Choot em!

rifle
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Mountain Lion - 12/19/15 02:38 AM

There have been at least 2 mountain lions pictures on this forum that were very much dead that came into calls. Give it a try, never know when one might respond. But do not be surprised if they do not respond either.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum