Texas Hunting Forum

Cabela's being bought out

Posted By: stxhunter

Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:35 PM

Sounds like Bass Pro has bought out Cabela's! The article says the take over will occur Jan 1st. I wonder what is going to happen to our Cabela's points when this happens.

http://www.kulr8.com/story/30496958/...ll-close-jan-1
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:35 PM

BILLINGS -
We have developing news regarding a major retailer here in Billings. Sources told KULR-8's Leah Jordan that a major buyout is coming regarding Cabela's.

Several employees expressed concern about what the looming buyout means for the future. Management confirmed to employees Monday that a competitor may buy out Cabela's, according to an anonymous staff member.

The sources said the deal was finalized Nov. 9, and the formal take-over will be Jan. 1, 2016.

One employee agreed to speak with KULR-8 on camera under the condition that we protect their identity.

"The manager had told her that her job was going to basically be overcome Jan 1. Several other people were commenting on it, and as I was leaving work another employee was talking to a department manager. So I stopped and caught the tail end of their conversation, so I approached him and said, 'So this is true? We are being bought out and we are not going to have jobs?' He said, 'I don't know whether they will keep anyone, I don't know if the store will stay open or what their plans are.' I said, 'Well, is the January 1st deadline true?' And he said, 'Yes.'" the anonymous employee said.

The employee told us management was specifically instructed not to disclose the deal involving the potential buyout.

There are still many unanswered questions about what it means for jobs after the start of the new year.

Cabela's stock price has fallen 37 percent since the beginning of the year.

The employee tells us the competitor is Bass Pro Shops. We reached out to Bass Pro Shops; they declined to discuss any looming deals.

Cabela's has not responded as of this evening. We will continue to reach out to them for comment.

KULR-8 will continue calling Cabela's for comment and working to gather more information on this story.

Editor's note: The headline has been changed to reflect that a potential Cabela's buyout and store closure may happen Jan. 1, according to Cabela's employees.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:46 PM

Can't beat em? Buy em.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:47 PM

Good, I've always preferred BPS over cabelas anyway!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:48 PM

Cabelas is a far better store with better merchandise at least in my opinion, this is sad. I hope knowbody loses their jobs over this.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:49 PM

a couple months ago, I was talking to an employee at Cabelas, asking if it was a good place to work. I'm thinking about some part time hours after I retire. He said, it used to be great but since an investment group took them over, it sucked.

Just another classic case of a buyout, cut expenses, raise margins, make yourself look good to investors and BYE-BYE !!!

Been through it twice, luckily, I was on the streets selling and they needed us, not so good for office and support people. Sad.

Bad thing is , I think Cabela's is better than Bass Pro. At least the 2 I frequent here in North Texas. Sportsman's Warehouse opened and closed here within about 2 years and I liked them better than both Cabelas and Bass Pro.

Should be interesting.....
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:51 PM

WEll that sucks !! I just got a Cabela card and bought a new shotgun . Wonder how that is going to work now ?
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 04:57 PM

That does suck. I much prefer Cabelas over Bass Pro, especially the Cabela's Outpost in Waco. Not nearly as busy or as big as the main stores, but carry all of the more popular items. Curious to see how it all pans out
Posted By: Erny

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:08 PM

Cabelas has more firearms and hunting equipment than BPS. Bass pro seems to focus on fishing and Cabelas on hunting. This is probably not going to be good, in my opinion.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:09 PM

Dang... I much prefer cabelas over basspro. I might be making a trip to spend my points this weekend!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:10 PM

I don't see things changing from a consumer stand point.

Cabela's and Bass pro traditionally specialize in different branding.

Cabela's excels at thier private brand in hunting and Bass pro excels in the thier private branding on fishing
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:16 PM

just hope they don't take the redhead approach with the cabela's branded stuff.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Cabela's was starting to back off a little of thier branded stuff. Why this year you see more concept shop type fixtures for Sitka, NF, UA and Columbia
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:30 PM

Dang, hate that. Always thought Cabela's was better.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:44 PM

Wonder if we can get Sportmans Warehouse to come back into the Texas market...IMO they were/are better than both BPS & Caberlla's put together, and have weathered the downsizing and crunch...Gander next ??? Just Sayin'
Ron

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 05:47 PM

I did like sportsmans warehouse. Gander mtn can stick it.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Cabela's was starting to back off a little of thier branded stuff. Why this year you see more concept shop type fixtures for Sitka, NF, UA and Columbia

I noticed they started going a little cheaper on their vendors. Looks like cashflow issues were the prob.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:29 PM

They just put the cabelas sign on the new store they are building near Dickinson. Dang. I was getting excited.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:31 PM

I noticed they started going a little cheaper on their vendors. Looks like cashflow issues were the prob.

No just chasing a price point. If it doesn't sale well at retail it will eventually
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: huntindude
They just put the cabelas sign on the new store they are building near Dickinson. Dang. I was getting excited.

That store is literally 5 minutes from my house and I have been anxiously waiting for that store to open since the announcement was made.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:33 PM

Late season going out of business sale??? What will they do with all the Cabela's product?

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:41 PM

They ain't shutting doors. They have a 3 billion market cap

They will consolidate back office for a cost savings synergy and keep rocking
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:54 PM

I don't think things will change that much. It could be a situation that, Bass Pro wasn't happy with their results on the hunting side, sometimes a business that's strong in one area but weak in another will purchase a competitor that's the mirror opposite. The idea is to add strength to strength but it doesn't always work out.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 06:59 PM

They ain't shutting doors. They have a 3 billion market cap

They will consolidate back office for a cost savings synergy and keep rocking

I agree that is where most of the benefits come from. I do wonder certain situations like we have Cabelas Ft. Worth/Bass Pro Grapevine if they cut to one. I would think each store is a leader for them though, so would never cut a leader even on top of each other.

My main concern is less competition and higher prices, both stores already sell some things higher than suggested retail, but Bass Pro is worse at it. Johnny Morris also has reputation for certain brand exclusion and I think too much favor goes towards the house brands.

I like both stores, but years ago sick of the gun counter routine I started using Euless Guns & Ammo 100% and on fishing side Tackle Warehouse or APT/Oak Ridge.
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 07:04 PM

Looks like people were talking about this potentially happening in late October. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...-takes-11-stake
Posted By: cp50948

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 07:10 PM

I don't care much for either one. I try to buy from the small companies that are mostly "family owned" or just go to academy. Just don't have the luxury to run down to the chain stores and go grab something. Closest chain hunting store to me is Gander Mountain and they just plain out suck. I always have to be prepared before hand.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 07:18 PM

Not good!!! I would rather drive 45 minutes to Cabelas than 5 minutes to BPS. BPS will ruin Cabelas.
Posted By: Indyoshi

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

That store is literally 5 minutes from my house and I have been anxiously waiting for that store to open since the announcement was made.

Same here...im off 517
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Not good!!! I would rather drive 45 minutes to Cabelas than 5 minutes to BPS. BPS will ruin Cabelas.

+1
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
a couple months ago, I was talking to an employee at Cabelas, asking if it was a good place to work. I'm thinking about some part time hours after I retire. He said, it used to be great but since an investment group took them over, it sucked.

Just another classic case of a buyout, cut expenses, raise margins, make yourself look good to investors and BYE-BYE !!!

Been through it twice, luckily, I was on the streets selling and they needed us, not so good for office and support people. Sad.

Bad thing is , I think Cabela's is better than Bass Pro. At least the 2 I frequent here in North Texas. Sportsman's Warehouse opened and closed here within about 2 years and I liked them better than both Cabelas and Bass Pro.

Should be interesting.....

This explains a lot...Cabelas in Ft Worth used to be awesome but for the last couple of years they've been more like Bass Pro...in other word their serviced sucks and their prices were raised quite a bit.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 07:58 PM

A little research will show, that the deal isn't final, but it's close. I read some things, about investors pushing to have the store become REI like, that would be worse than BPS. There very well may be some store closures because they built too many big stores too close together. Let's see how it all works out BPS needs to get financing first.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
A little research will show, that the deal isn't final, but it's close. I read some things, about investors pushing to have the store become REI like, that would be worse than BPS. There very well may be some store closures because they built too many big stores too close together. Let's see how it all works out BPS needs to get financing first.

REI like as in gear or REI as in store concept? Huge difference

REI is a co-op
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 08:51 PM

Honestly I have enjoyed both stores. It's like a special joy for us to go to one every time we see either one. Nice to know at least one of them will still be around.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Indyoshi
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Same here...im off 517

518 here - howdy neighbor up
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 09:15 PM

I've shopped both stores in North Texas, but I actually buy 90% of everything online.BPS & Cabelas have way too much overhead, and can't compete with online prices. Most of the time they don't have what I go there for anyway.
Posted By: Western

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 09:32 PM

I prefer Cabelas, only because it is closer. I can almost always buy cheaper online including shipping though, so that is what I do. . A store front is great when you need something right now, or want to look at a particular item.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 09:42 PM

I'll go to either Bass Pro or Cabela's if I'm needing some unique piece of equipment. Otherwise, I'll hit up Academy or on-line to save a buck. I never understood why Cabela's got into the farm equipment business. I'm sure there were some big margins on the tractors, and maybe OEM was fronting the inventory. If I'm buying a new tractor, I'm getting it from the local tractor dealer.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 09:53 PM

I could be wrong.
It doesn't make sense the news would come out of Billings, from an un-named employee. If a deal has been struck the odds are very low the information has been disseminated that fast to a non-management employee in a store. The info most likely would be coming from another source.

As stated above I could be wrong, easily so. After having been in corporate America for 30 years I now work the gun counter at the Ft. Worth store and the published story does not fit with the way these things usually happen nor does it fit with the culture I've seen within the organization. Of course I had no clue that VHS would win out over Betamax.

It will be interesting to see how this folds out.
Posted By: Fatdaddy

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 09:58 PM

guess I need to spend my Cabelas gift cards soon.
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 10:06 PM

Cabelas was always a better store than BPS for hunting equipment. Be interesting to see how this affects all the stores. Especially around the DFW area.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 10:32 PM

maybe if they close up
someone will put in a
store that has merchandise
in stock (besides casual clothes)
instead of the clerks having
to tell you that what you
sat in traffic for 2 hours
to try on in person is catalog
order only, and can't be had
at any of the stores. it should
show this when you look it up.

i would imagine they'll go the
way oshman's did, and the way
academy is heading.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 11:06 PM

Just cashed in my points on the items on my wish list that would max it out. Yeah, I overreact on a regular basis.

I'll start looking for an alternative credit card in a few days.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 11:07 PM

Here are a few stories
http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2015/11/bass_pro_shops_pushing_to_buy.html
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/05/bass-pro-shops-explores-bid-for-cabelas-sources.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...-takes-11-stake
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 11:11 PM

Maybe the Cabela's in Buda will get a decent restaurant. Bass Pro has the right idea, especially in décor, but the restaurant needs to be taken up a notch; not just salty Sisco food. Cabela's food always reminded me of a SeaWorld, Disney, Fiesta Texas, etc.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/12/15 11:47 PM

I couldn't care less. I shop online and get what I need from whomever has the best price. If I need something quick I go to Acedemy in McKinney. If they don't have it, then I'll have to wait on the brown truck.
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 12:51 AM

Well I was looking forward to the new Houston store to open it. I think it is already half built?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Maybe the Cabela's in Buda will get a decent restaurant. Bass Pro has the right idea, especially in décor, but the restaurant needs to be taken up a notch; not just salty Sisco food. Cabela's food always reminded me of a SeaWorld, Disney, Fiesta Texas, etc.

That is no lie on the food there. The 2 or 3 times I went into that store about a year after it opened I was surprised at how dirty and rundown the whole store was in just a short time. I order on-line now because of how filthy that store was back then.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 01:41 AM

This article from last month spells out a little of what caused what maybe happening.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/22/cabelas-expansion-cannibalizing-its-own-stores/

Quote:
Cabela’s expansion cannibalizing its own stores

As added sites lure customers from other Cabela's superstores, overall profits plummet.

By Kyle StockBloomberg

NEW YORK — It turns out there is such a thing as too much taxidermy.

Cabela’s, a retail mecca for all things outdoorsy, admitted Thursday morning that it vastly overestimated the market for massive shopping centers stuffed with stuffed critters.

Cabela’s in Scarborough sells outdoor gear from a superstore filled with museum-quality displays – an example of destination shoppping. The company is now slowing its expansion and may build smaller stores.
Cabela’s in Scarborough sells outdoor gear from a superstore filled with museum-quality displays – an example of destination shoppping. The company is now slowing its expansion and may build smaller stores.

In the recent quarter, Cabela’s revenue increased a respectable 4.6 percent, to $927 million. But the company was operating 10 more giant shops than it was in the year-earlier period. As a result, sales at comparable stores slumped 4.2 percent and profit plummeted 19 percent.

In a note to investors Thursday morning, Goldman Sachs analysts said cannibalization among the company’s stores “looks severe.” In other words, the new sites are luring customers from other Cabela’s shops, rather than from competitors. Now that there’s a Cabela’s in Missoula, Montana, grizzly hunters don’t have to schlep up to Kalispell to get their gear.

To be sure, Cabela’s is a bit of a niche retailer, but the result presents a cautionary tale for the few companies bold enough to double down on bricks-and-mortar in a Web-savvy world. As some sellers shift more of their business online, others are moving in the opposite direction – building superstores, shopping planets that have their own gravity. If the building is compelling enough, it becomes a destination of its own.

Apple’s Manhattan nerve center falls into this camp (based on how many tourists near the Bloomberg office ask for directions to it). A few blocks away, H&M recently built its biggest flagship in the world near two of its other stores. Under Armour, meanwhile, is gearing up its big retail game plan with its own “brand houses.”

Once inside these places, the thesis is consumerism by cornucopia. There are simply so many products and so much stuff to see, it takes a while to process. The longer one stays, the more you’re liable to spend – at least, that’s the idea.

Few commit to this strategy as fully as Cabela’s, which boasts of a “tourist-type experience.” Its 250,000-square-foot barn in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, has a museum that would make Teddy Roosevelt proud, a shooting gallery, and a kennel where shoppers can leave their dogs for the day. Of course, that kind of presence requires a lot of expensive inventory and, in the case of Cabela’s, taxidermy (the Pennsylvania store has many mounted musk-oxen).

Not surprisingly, Cabela’s said that it will slow its expansion schedule. At the moment, it is calling for seven new stores next year and no more than that in 2017. And it’s leaning toward smaller stores. Still, the company plans eventually to have 225 brick-and-mortar shops in North America. They have 74 now. “We’re still confident,” Chief Executive Officer Thomas Millner said. “But the pause to have a model that is far more predictable is really important.”

In the meantime, the company is buying back stock, which was on sale at a 15 percent discount Thursday morning.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 02:41 AM

Wonder if Cabelas would keep the on-line sales portion and sell the stores off. I prefer the on-line anyways.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Wonder if Cabelas would keep the on-line sales portion and sell the stores off. I prefer the on-line anyways.

Very few people know what is going to happen.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 03:29 AM

I hope they follow the same pattern they did with Offshore Angler. With that store, they kept it separate, used the expertise from there to beef up their saltwater fishing lines in their other stores. They even kept sending out Offshore Angler catalogs even though I'm sure the operations were combined behind the scenes. When they wanted to add boats to the store, they bought Mako Marine, to have an appropriate line.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 03:47 AM

Guess I'll be stocking up on some stuff when the clearance sale starts up.

I would be surprised if it goes through... Seems like an anti-trust (monopoly) kind of thing. Gander Mountain can't compete as it is... Bass Pro is good for a few things and absolutely useless for others, the stores themselves are always fun. Cabela's website is much more comprehensive.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/13/15 04:28 AM

I like both stores for different things (FW and Grapevine). Where the merchandise is the same so are the prices. Academy is usually a little less. Cabela's bargain cave used to have some great deals but that is pretty much a thing of the past. I live very close to the mid-point between the two and I still usually go to Academy because when you are looking for the basics they all carry the same things albeit both big stores have a larger selection. As for online I'm probably a bit long in the tooth because I like to put my hands on things before I buy them.
I only feel bad for the people that will lose their jobs due to consolidation and I doubt they are on the radar for anti-trust violations.
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/14/15 04:22 PM

REI is a co-op

From what I've read, it sounds like REI as an in-store concept. I've read a few quotes about how Cabelas needs to "move away from gun sales" (seriously?!) and "blood sports" (again, seriously?!) and start appealing to a general audience of people who enjoy being in the outdoors. bang

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/14/15 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: chicklitter

REI is a co-op

From what I've read, it sounds like REI as an in-store concept. I've read a few quotes about how Cabelas needs to "move away from gun sales" (seriously?!) and "blood sports" (again, seriously?!) and start appealing to a general audience of people who enjoy being in the outdoors. bang

That's what I was refering to. Thinking about it they're talking about move towards a Dick's type sales model. loco

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/14/15 07:27 PM

The money is with the non hunters, they out number the hunters and gun owners. That is just good business sense, appeal to the masses instead of a few.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 12:09 AM

This is not a done deal. Bass Pro has yet to secure financing and is still doing due diligence.
It is a huge deal and about the only subject being discussed in our industry.
If it does you probably will not know the difference when it does in their stores. Bass Pro isn't trying to buy them to eliminate them. I don't even think they will totally consolidate the buying and general management offices.
Posted By: Toepuncher

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 02:44 AM

I hope you are right. I drive by Bass Pro to and from work every day but rarely ever stop. I make regular trips to Cabela's and it's out of my way.
Posted By: nak

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 02:59 AM

I hate to see it. I do a fair amount of business with Cabelas. The 5% back using their CC and the 15% off coupons you get about once a quarter, more than offsets the slightly higher price tags on some items.

I've been to Bass Pro a couple of dozen times, but rarely buy from them. They just do not have the stock of hunting and reloading stuff that Cabelas does.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 06:18 AM

I like both stores
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 01:05 PM

I always went to the Ft Worth store when I was in the metro area but I usually only spent what cash back I built up on my credit card. It is fun to look but dang they are so high and GM is even higher.

I went into GM once and they had the small propane tanks for only $4.99 EACH. I saw a few more "deals" and walked out.

The store I miss closing in Abilene is Big 5, no more $99 Mosins
Posted By: LG

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 04:04 PM

I was at Cabelas Friday and had to stop by customer service etc... While the gentlemen was helping me out I asked him about the buy out and his reply was that it was a rumor. I hope he is right !
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 10:32 PM

Oshmans tried the jog bra/jackstrap bidnizz plan after being the largest shooting/foshiong outlet in Texas once upon a time...then Academy wanted that market and now is neck deep in the same thing, and the last thing we need is more teenyshoeboppers and tennis/golf players wearing new clothes everytime they sweat a little taking over another big box retailer.

Time to move to the Pacific Northwest and be able to shop at Sportsmans Warehouse again... aim
Ron
Posted By: Central texas

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/15/15 10:43 PM

I hope it's a rumor , like cabelas much better
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/16/15 01:05 AM

Kinda odd....about 20 years ago, it was Cabela's that saved Gander Mountain through buying out Gander's catalogue division!

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/16/15 04:00 AM

The Gander Mountain that was saved by having it's catalog division bought by Cabela's isn't the present day Gander Mountain. That Gander Mountain, was bought by an outfit named Holiday Plus, which then assumed the name of Gander Mountain. a few years later the owners cashed out through an IPO. A couple of years ago The owners of Cabela's also cashed out through an IPO. The problem with public ownership is that investors want ever increasing results and have little patience with niche stores.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/16/15 04:54 AM

This sucks, hunting gear hands down better at cabelas than bps. Better knowledge staff usually too regarding hunting.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/16/15 03:37 PM

Any news on whats going to happen with gift cards and cabelas club visa points? I have some of each I don't want to throw away!

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/16/15 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Any news on whats going to happen with gift cards and cabelas club visa points? I have some of each I don't want to throw away!

This is not a bankruptcy situation, any gift cards or points, should be good. When Bass Pro took over Offshore Angler the only real change was that catalog operations got consolidated behind the scenes. There was still a separate catalog and store. This will have a long implementation period. Cabela's overbuilt their big destination stores so there is some chance of closures there. There will be some private label lines that get dropped but short term things shouldn't change a lot. The biggest question is will Bass Pro run two brands? If they want to consolidate we are looking at a 3 to 5 year process.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/16/15 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

The money is with the non hunters, they out number the hunters and gun owners. That is just good business sense, appeal to the masses instead of a few.

Incorrect. The REI's and non hunting outdoors type stores don't even add up to the size of Cabela's dollar wise. REI is an interesting store being they are a vendor co-op.

Your average camping outdoor family will buy discount camping gear from Walmart before REI, etc.
True outdoor high end gear or even middle the road gear is a very niche market. It's a speciality market. In fact most of your better tents and camping equipment comes from direct to retail MFG companies.

Cabela's or basspro would fail as a stand alone non hunting store. Academy and Dicks can't do it then Cabela's and Basspro cant

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/17/15 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Incorrect. The REI's and non hunting outdoors type stores don't even add up to the size of Cabela's dollar wise. REI is an interesting store being they are a vendor co-op.

Your average camping outdoor family will buy discount camping gear from Walmart before REI, etc.
True outdoor high end gear or even middle the road gear is a very niche market. It's a speciality market. In fact most of your better tents and camping equipment comes from direct to retail MFG companies.

Cabela's or basspro would fail as a stand alone non hunting store. Academy and Dicks can't do it then Cabela's and Basspro cant

I doubt if Cabelas or a buyer would attempt to covert it to a non hunting store, but I wouldn't be surprised if it changed directions and attempted to lure a lot more of the campers and backpackers. There are about 44 million campers in the USA, approximately 34 million hikers/backpackers and only about 14 million hunters. Cabelas already has customers in all 3 categories, good business planning would be to attract more from all 3 of those demographics. Then add in the fact that some of those hunters are also campers and or backpackers/hikers. They have them "hooked" to eliminate any of the lines would be cutting their own throat.

Both Cabelas and Bass Pro already have quite a following from the campers, backpackers, and even sell some fishing gear, as does Bass Pro selling some camping and hunting gear. From the article I posted above, it seems Cabelas megastores have gotten into their catalog sales. Which seems to make sense, when that happened, they cut their own profit throat. It costs a lot more to operate out of store than it does to sell Online from a catalog.
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/17/15 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Wonder if we can get Sportmans Warehouse to come back into the Texas market...IMO they were/are better than both BPS & Caberlla's put together, and have weathered the downsizing and crunch...Gander next ??? Just Sayin'
Ron

X2 I loved that store better quality on everything.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/17/15 08:51 AM

I've always thought that Cabela's was better than Bass Pro for hunting clothing and gear, particularly Cabela's branded items. Bass Pro is better for fishing gear.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/17/15 01:54 PM

That's surprising - I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Guess BP is stouter than I thought (I buy almost nothing from them).

Can't imagine they would change much externally about Cabela's if the deal does go through. Both in-store and internet sales have to be good unless I am totally missing something.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/17/15 11:29 PM

Here's a good analysis of the situation http://www.omaha.com/money/cabela-s-made...c93675ed97.html
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/17/15 11:42 PM

Here's a good analysis of the situation http://www.omaha.com/money/cabela-s-made...c93675ed97.html

Interesting read. Thanks.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/17/15 11:57 PM

I interviewed at BassPro shop in Rockwall right after graduating from college in Spring 2009. I had already determined that the pay didn't really justify the travel to the store for me. I did the interview anyways, though, and the final interview was with the store manager. He was supposed to hire you on the spot or you wouldn't get the job. He was trying to explain that basspro took pride in having "much better customer service" than cabelas and other competitors. He asked me a question, and I said something like, "I've always gotten excellent customer service at Cabelas. They know what their talking about and are usually pretty helpful." The interview ended shortly thereafter and I was told I'd get a call soon.

I've always preferred Cabelas. I hope that they don't change the store and concept much because I think they do a pretty good job for a big box store of serving folks like me.

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/18/15 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
That's surprising - I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Guess BP is stouter than I thought (I buy almost nothing from them).

Can't imagine they would change much externally about Cabela's if the deal does go through. Both in-store and internet sales have to be good unless I am totally missing something.

Strong is a relative term into day's market.
Posted By: Western

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/18/15 12:35 AM

There you go BOBO, bringing "relatives" into it peep
Posted By: Santana72

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/18/15 05:42 AM

Spending points soon sounds like a good idea....
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/18/15 12:33 PM

That article pretty much explains it all. When they went public they became vulnerable.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/18/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: THETEXAN
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Ron

X2 I loved that store better quality on everything.

same here

But on another note they announced that they are opening a Cabelas at the Hood

Cabela’s is coming to Fort Hood

Re: Cabela's being bought out - 11/18/15 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

There you go BOBO, bringing "relatives" into it peep

I'm living it. We got bought out by a smaller public company three years ago. So far it's been great for those of us that had equaty prior to the buy out. It is frustrating when you are posting 25% year over year growth but Gross margin didn't meet analyst expectations so your stock price takes a hit. I get the orginal IPO of Cabela's. If it is Bass pro who buys it, it will be for the betterment of Cabela's going private again. Cabelas isn't bleeding just not meeting analyst expectations.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum