Texas Hunting Forum

would this irritate you? it did me

Posted By: Sparky45

would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 02:48 PM

we were driving out to our land and on a county road which is several miles from a small town. I was in the lead and my 16 year old son behind me in his vehicle.
My wife with me and his younger sister with him.
We came up to a point in the road with about a 10 acre clearing and about knee high grass. As I was driving I noticed something moving in the grass. It was a big sounder of hogs. Reds, calico, black and whites, just moving close together as one mass. I slowed down wanting to point it out to the kids. My daughter hasn't seen wild hogs in person and my son only a couple times.
I tapped the brake, waved out the window to him to slow down, he, being cautious, thought I wanted him to stop, so I stopped and backed up to him. we were pulled over somewhat, and NOT blocking the road. There were no other cars around at the time and it was a fairly straight stretch of road and visibility was good.
we were in between the back of my truck and the front of his and I was pointing out the pigs. Both of the kids thought it was a pretty cool thing. After maybe a minute, I got back in my truck and started to drive off. I noticed in my rear view mirror a truck coming in behind my sons truck as he was starting to get back in. I continued to drive away, slowly, thinking nothing of it and I made the first turn and pulled back over making sure he caught up to me and he was ok.

The other truck followed us both until our turn off.

When we got there he told me that the driver of the truck stopped and got out and started video taping him and his sister and his truck!
What a jerk. He continued videoing and my son never spoke a word to him and the guy remained silent as my son got back into his truck and pulled away.

The only thing I could figure is that this guy thought we were road hunting?

not sure, but isn't this going a little too far? We had no weapons out, for all he knew we had a flat and was assisting each other. But he just stops and gets out and started videoing....

Posted By: TexFlip

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 02:50 PM

People are weird.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 02:51 PM

A little, but not too much.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
People are weird.

and getting weirder
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 02:54 PM

What you have encountered is the "iPhone video zombie"......These are the same people who protest cops and think they can do anything they want as long as they have a cell phone or other video camera recording what the other person is doing.

Its regrettable but this virus is spreading to even rural people as it has become the norm to act stupid, instead of simply pulling up and politely asking whats going on.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 02:58 PM

I don't know what to tell you, he definitely could have handled things better, but if I was driving up to our property and saw two truckloads of people stopped out of their vehicle and actively watching game on my property, the first thing to come to my mind wouldn't be "oh here is a stand up guy with his kids enjoying the splendor of the outdoors" I wouldn't have gotten out of the vehicle. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:01 PM

Everybody line up facing away from him and 3. 2. 1. Moon!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:03 PM

He probably lives in the area and has problems with poachers and road hunters
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:14 PM

GPS coordinates on pics or video are a helpful enforcement tool.

Probably has a poacher issue
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Everybody line up facing away from him and 3. 2. 1. Moon!

This was my first thought. Seems like the logical response up

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I don't know what to tell you, he definitely could have handled things better, but if I was driving up to our property and saw two truckloads of people stopped out of their vehicle and actively watching game on my property, the first thing to come to my mind wouldn't be "oh here is a stand up guy with his kids enjoying the splendor of the outdoors" I wouldn't have gotten out of the vehicle. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

The hogs were not on his land
He lives way down the road
As far as I know he has no interest in the place we were looking at
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I can get behind this, but real country folk used to stop and introduce themselves. Guess that has changed too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparky45

The hogs were not on his land
He lives way down the road
As far as I know he has no interest in the place we were looking at

Ok so he may have been looking out for his neighbor

Why didn't you pull over and introduce yourself?
Posted By: Western

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:28 PM

Another angle in a Hypothetical THF post:

""Would this irritate you? We have had terrible poaching problems, anyway. I was out hunting my 10 acres that adjoins a country road, waiting on hogs and maybe a buck when 2 trucks come rolling down the road and can you believe they stop to look at the hogs I was waiting on! By the time I got to my truck, they where leaving, but I did what many of you recommend and took video of one of the drivers and the truck he was in, then I followed them to an entrance gate down the road. Do y'all think I should notify the game GW and/or sheriff?, since these people could be who has been poaching around here?""

I wouldn't read anything into it, you where on a public road, as was the other "truck". I think what you where doing probably looked more suspicious than what he did. Only thing you may have done , is stepped out and tried to meet the people, but I doubt you knew he had videoed at the time. I wouldn't loose another thought over it

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Another angle in a Hypothetical THF post:

""Would this irritate you? We have had terrible poaching problems, anyway. I was out hunting my 10 acres that adjoins a country road, waiting on hogs and maybe a buck when 2 trucks come rolling down the road and can you believe they stop to look at the hogs I was waiting on! By the time I got to my truck, they where leaving, but I did what many of you recommend and took video of one of the drivers and the truck he was in, then I followed them to an entrance gate down the road. Do y'all think I should notify the game GW and/or sheriff?, since these people could be who has been poaching around here?""

I wouldn't read anything into it, you where on a public road, as was the other "truck". I think what you where doing probably looked more suspicious than what he did. Only thing you may have done , is stepped out and tried to meet the people, but I doubt you knew he had videoed at the time. I wouldn't loose another thought over it

Ding Ding my thoughts exactly!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:39 PM

Gotta agree with Western, likely a non-issue and nothing to worry about. In fact, it may be something to be thankful for, a nosy neighbor keeping a watchful eye on the area. He made a point of letting the OP know that if there was trouble, he would be suspected. A little passive-aggressive behavior like that does make some bad people think twice about being around...let's them know they are being watched.

Sparky45, since you know where the guy lives, then go pay him a visit. Introduce yourself. I bet he will keep a watchful eye on your place as well. It is good to have a local friend.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:41 PM

I wish I had neighbors like that.....
Posted By: JTS

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:50 PM

It would have been funny if your son would have gotten his cell phone and started videoing the guy also. They could have stood there videoing each other until they ran out of battery. LOL

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Owning a phone with a camera would be a good start....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:54 PM

dunce I put my money in a great camera, not in a phone.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 03:58 PM

Fur real!! Was pretty sure you weren't taking those photos with a flip phone, I figure an old man like you was using a heck of a 35mm grin
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:09 PM

1) IF there has been a poaching issue in the area AND had you guys been the bad guys, this guy would have them on video. Bad guys don't want to be on video and this may very well have pushed them out of the area.

2) Why didn't your son at least ask the guy what was up? It might have ended the whole thing right there.

3) As stated above, you say you know where he lives, why not go introduce yourself and try to clear it up?

4) As stated above, a local friend is a good thing for many reasons.

5) Your actions were every bit as suspicious to him as his were to you.

Good luck! cheers
Posted By: rickym

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:11 PM

I probably would have asked him if there was a problem or a reason why he is recording me and invading my privacy(if he was videoing the inside of the truck)

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:16 PM

I think your son did the smart thing avoiding confrontation. He had his little sister with him and he is only 16.......He showed darn good decision making and responsibility IMO, by avoiding a situation and following his dad.

Think for a minute......If he had confronted this person after dad left, this could have been a whole different kind of thread...
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:18 PM

Go introduce yourself to the guy. He might watch your place and the area. Probably has been a poaching problem.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:18 PM

I get that, but just in the course of getting back in his truck, a simple, Is there a problem?" shouldn't be an issue.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
I get that, but just in the course of getting back in his truck, a simple, Is there a problem?" shouldn't be an issue.

i get that, but some people will take that as aggressive and the other truck by their actions, they where already being aggressive. A grown man with life experience and I would agree 99%

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:53 PM

Had to add another though on my last post.

I can surely see the dad going and confronting (maybe to harsh a word, contacting is better) and finding out if there is a problem since his 2 children (both minors) where videoed. Could be a great way to get a new friend as others mentioned.
Posted By: Cast

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:55 PM

Just gotta be careful in these situations. That could be my crazy neighbor.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:55 PM

I'm going with the weird people concept.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 04:56 PM

Had to add another though on my last post.

I can surely see the dad going and confronting (maybe to harsh a word, contacting is better) and finding out if there is a problem since his 2 children (both minors) where videoed. Could be a great way to get a new friend as others mentioned.

That's definitely a conversation starter.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:04 PM

1) IF there has been a poaching issue in the area AND had you guys been the bad guys, this guy would have them on video. Bad guys don't want to be on video and this may very well have pushed them out of the area.

2) Why didn't your son at least ask the guy what was up? It might have ended the whole thing right there.

3) As stated above, you say you know where he lives, why not go introduce yourself and try to clear it up?

Good luck! cheers

My son didn't feel the need to start talking while he had a camera in his face
I'm the same way

I do not know where this guy lives exactly only that it is miles past where this happened

I was already pulling away when this occurred and I only stopped after I got 1/4,mile away and waited till I saw my son coming along then continued on

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:06 PM

I think your son did the smart thing avoiding confrontation. He had his little sister with him and he is only 16.......He showed darn good decision making and responsibility IMO, by avoiding a situation and following his dad.

Think for a minute......If he had confronted this person after dad left, this could have been a whole different kind of thread...

Thank you

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:24 PM

Good luck! cheers

I'm the same way

I do not know where this guy lives exactly only that it is miles past where this happened

I was already pulling away when this occurred and I only stopped after I got 1/4,mile away and waited till I saw my son coming along then continued on

Sounds like you don't really know where the dude live or what property he owns. How hard is it to admit that you made a poor decision?

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:34 PM

Fur real!! Was pretty sure you weren't taking those photos with a flip phone, I figure an old man like you was using a heck of a 35mm grin

I just wish he would have held on to the negatives of when he photographed billy the kid....

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:39 PM

Yessir, you might be right. The youngster might have done right to just leave. It would just make me nuts, someone videoing me beside the road. I'd have to ask, but yes, he prolly did the right thing.

And I'd definitely want to follow up as you stated above. It all may work out not to be a weird as it sounds and he may make a new local friend.
Posted By: don k

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:44 PM

I own the road that some drive through. Those that use it call and tell me if someone is going to be traveling it. I also still own and pay taxes on a so called county road through one side of my place. If I see people stopped on it I will go see what is going on. If they take off from the area where they were stopped before I got there I would try to get license numbers then go back to the area where they were stopped to see why they stopped. I see nothing wrong with what the person did by filming him.
Posted By: Skyline

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:55 PM

Reading this thread and the various responses just serves to highlight what a messed up society we live in.

People. Just getting weirder and more disingenuous as time goes by.

Give me a dog or a horse any day, hell even a rattler is more straight forward and can be taken at face value.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 05:59 PM

I've re-thought my position--the video guy was a city slicker idiot. No country guy would do that. At the most, he would get out of his car and ask, "how's it goin"-- I once had a guy come up and ask for my license, I asked if he was a game warden, he wasn't, I said get lost.
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 06:08 PM

Good luck! cheers

I'm the same way

Sounds like you don't really know where the dude live or what property he owns. How hard is it to admit that you made a poor decision?

What did Sparky45 do wrong? This is weird behavior and I think it is normal to think this situation is out of the norm. I understand that poaching and trespassing is a big problem but the guy taking the video went a little overboard, in my opinion. Sparky45 and his family do deserve a right to their privacy, which based on what he has written they were not breaking the law. If this guy is watching out for other peoples land that is great, but why not just get a license plate no and move along. Then report to the appropriate authorities of possible poaching, preferably if you have some kind of proof to back your claim. If Sparky45 got the license no of the man videotaping his family then I think he should report it to someone.

On a related note, my experience is that most country people are friendly and approachable. But there are exceptions, which may be this guy. There are a lot of sick people in this country, including Texas, and they live in rural areas, not just in the cities.
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 06:13 PM

I don't own the road in the country, where I live. BUT, between all the idiots that use it for their own personal dumping grounds of trash, unwanted pets, dead animals, etc., I have, and will continue to be suspicious of vehicles stopping for any length of time. Usually I'll just wait and see if they may be 'relieving' themselves. If they stick around to long, I'll definitely go ask 'em if they're in need of assistance. Haven't ever video taped anyone, but I'm from a different era. Not implying the OP was up to no good, but lots of folks out there aren't just stopping to enjoy the 'sights. Sad, but true.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 06:13 PM

rofl Right! Those would have been cool to have, iirc, there are only 2 known photos of BTK and one was just discover this year! STX could have been famous had he kept them.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 06:33 PM

eat more chicken

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 06:47 PM

Good luck! cheers

I'm the same way

Poor decision?
Stopping to show my kids pigs from the road ?
Are you really this big of an [censored] in person ?

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 06:53 PM

Not at all. I love all the one sided stories though. Preach on man up

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 06:58 PM

I get stopped all the time in the country and asked what i'm doing at such and such place, what business do I have, etc. Believe it or not the most upfront and blunt questions come from women.

I never get offended at all, in rural communities people have to look out for each other. I find it comforting that people are on the lookout for people up to no good.

I think your taking it all the wrong way. may be worth a stop in or at least a conversation to introduce yourself if your in the area a lot.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:14 PM

You still need to tell me what my poor decision was

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:20 PM

I get stopped all the time in the country and asked what i'm doing at such and such place, what business do I have, etc. Believe it or not the most upfront and blunt questions come from women.

I never get offended at all, in rural communities people have to look out for each other. I find it comforting that people are on the lookout for people up to no good.

I think your taking it all the wrong way. may be worth a stop in or at least a conversation to introduce yourself if your in the area a lot.

Do you get stopped by a person saying nothing and videotaping you?

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:34 PM

In my mind stopping with multiple vehicles and getting out of the truck. I kinda already did. I also would have stopped and talked to you about it if it was in front of my property and no matter what you told me you were doing I wouldn't have viewed it in a positive light, no I would not have videoed you, but would have likely written down your plate number, have done it several times and held onto it for a while when I felt like something fishy was going on. Like I said in my first post he probably could have handled it much better, but I still think you gotta take as much blame as he does for stopping and getting out. I'm not calling you a bad person, but I don't think that it was in the best judgment, nor was the other guys actions.

I take pictures of a lot of properties for work, I've had people come running at me yelling and screaming been accused of trying to take pictures of a dudes wife while she was getting out of the car etc. some folks get touchy. Its a public road, sure his right to be there and video whatever he sees too. It could have all been avoided by not stopping or probably by not getting out.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:36 PM

You looking at it only from your point of view, just showing your kids pigs. He is looking at it from the wtf are they doing here and looking at on my property point of view.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:41 PM

Well, obviously, you know exactly who the guy is. Since you know exactly who he is, then you should be able to contact him and work this out just fine and resolve any issues one way or the other. Maybe holding off on name calling would be a good idea until you have more information.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:48 PM

Some country boys I know red wouldn't like a camera shoved in their face, "where I come from; it's corn bread and chicken."

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:55 PM

In my mind stopping with multiple vehicles and getting out of the truck. I kinda already did. I also would have stopped and talked to you about it if it was in front of my property and no matter what you told me you were doing I wouldn't have viewed it in a positive light, no I would not have videoed you, but would have likely written down your plate number, have done it several times and held onto it for a while when I felt like something fishy was going on. Like I said in my first post he probably could have handled it much better, but I still think you gotta take as much blame as he does for stopping and getting out. I'm not calling you a bad person, but I don't think that it was in the best judgment, nor was the other guys actions.

I take pictures of a lot of properties for work, I've had people come running at me yelling and screaming been accused of trying to take pictures of a dudes wife while she was getting out of the car etc. some folks get touchy. Its a public road, sure his right to be there and video whatever he sees too. It could have all been avoided by not stopping or probably by not getting out.

I agree with others that it would be a worthwhile venture for OP to go out and introduce self and family to the locals. I would be a little iffy on meeting the videotape guy - maybe get a couple feelers first from others before approaching.

So let me get this straight. If I am driving through the country and I see wild game then it is a poor decision to get out of my vehicle to take a look at it? I love seeing wild game and if my kids were with me I would want them to see the game too. I see people doing this all the time in the country.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
Some country boys I know red wouldn't like a camera shoved in their face, "where I come from; it's corn bread and chicken."

Did you read my post?
no I would not have videoed you

I wouldn't shove a camera in your face, but if I came across two stopped vehicle with a crowd of people out of the car intently looking into my property I surely would stop by and see what the heck was up.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ALM TXhunter
So let me get this straight. If I am driving through the country and I see wild game then it is a poor decision to get out of my vehicle to take a look at it? I love seeing wild game and if my kids were with me I would want them to see the game too. I see people doing this all the time in the country.

I have never and have never seen people get out of the vehicle to look at deer. If a game warden sees you do it I bet he stops too. Take your kid to the zoo. Im out ive typed enough on this post.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 08:00 PM

I think because it was kids this guy decided to get ballsy. If it was another adult he may have had a problem.
He may of had an issue with you looking at his (or a friends)property, I have big issues with some stranger videoing my children.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 08:01 PM

No, not a problem. Just don't get upset if you are being video tapped in the process.
Posted By: don k

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 08:07 PM

Did you read my post?
no I would not have videoed you

I wouldn't shove a camera in your face, but if I came across two stopped vehicle with a crowd of people out of the car intently looking into my property I surely would stop by and see what the heck was up.
I have even had people go through no trespassing signs on my property and when stopped act like since it was a road it was alright. When some of you that were born on pavement and spent all of you life there start getting someone else garbage dumped on your property, fences cut so a road shot animal could be retrieved, drunks running through fences, people running through a gate and coming all the way up to your house maybe then you will understand why some are interested in what goes on in their area.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 08:26 PM

I'm not sure who some of you are referring to as locals
I have owned land out on this road for 5 years I have a house there
Although I do not live there during the week my vehicles are up and down the road 2 - 3 times per week
I do not know who this person was although by asking around I have an idea who he is by the description of his vehicle
The people that I know do not have much regard for him

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 08:28 PM

It will be a cold day in hell when I am afraid to stop my truck along the road and show my kids some wildlife
If someone is thinking I'm up to something bad they could stop and roll the window down and say hey what's going on stead of being a jerk and video taping my children

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 08:31 PM

You must be in a bad neighborhood.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 08:41 PM

I have never and have never seen people get out of the vehicle to look at deer. If a game warden sees you do it I bet he stops too. Take your kid to the zoo. Im out ive typed enough on this post.

What? Yep, it is not the norm, but over years of my life (and I have traveled the country some) I have seen plenty of people getting out looking at deer, elk, moose etc. I do take my kids to the zoo but since it is a very controlled, 'artificial' environment it is not the true wild, IMO. I have no problem if the game warden stops by because it will be an amicable talk - i am not poaching and there is nothing wrong with looking at wildlife. Plus talking to the game warden would give me an opportunity to learn more about the area. And I would also report to him any friek that is videotaping me or my family without my consent (and yes he is by law allowed to do that, but truly how many people on here would want someone videotaping them from a stranger?)

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
[quote=redchevy][quote=Huntmaster] When some of you that were born on pavement and spent all of you life there start getting someone else garbage dumped on your property, fences cut so a road shot animal could be retrieved, drunks running through fences, people running through a gate and coming all the way up to your house maybe then you will understand why some are interested in what goes on in their area.

If you lived in the city you would count that as the small stuff. roflmao

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 09:18 PM

Here's another perspective, for sure, maybe there's a reason for you to be irritated, and maybe it's just a misunderstanding and getting worked up before getting to the bottom of it, well, that's just wasted energy. People in the country, at least where I come from, look out for their neighbors. I actually had a neighbor call the law on me once, for breaking and entering... into my own property. I was pulled over by three cop cars, and once it was all figured out, he didn't know I had just bought a new truck. I was irritated, but laughed my butt off and greatly appreciated him as a neighbor. The 'jerk' videotaping may not even know you, and your family, are locals, or he may really be a scary jerk. If the later, and the kids were scared of him, report the incident to authorities. If it's just a misunderstanding, getting to know all the neighbors can be a good thing, especially for absentee land owners. Might have something to have a beer over, and laugh about?

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 10:44 PM

You must be in a bad neighborhood.

grin
Posted By: Marc K

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/10/15 11:33 PM

Around here, any car/truck stopped by the side of a rural road will have other folks stopping to ask:

"Everything alright? Need any help?" which is asked with a smile and nice tone of voice.

It's the basic approach around here.
1) You make contact.
2) You get a feel for the situation.
3) You offer help if needed.
4) You move on.

Taking "in your face" video without having a conversation is a BS way to intimidate and wouldn't fly real well with most of us.

Yes, I am one of those people who stop and ask if you need any help......

Marc

Posted By: Skyline

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Marc Kurth
Around here, any car/truck stopped by the side of a rural road will have other folks stopping to ask:

"Everything alright? Need any help?" which is asked with a smile and nice tone of voice.

1) You make contact.
4) You move on.

Taking "in your face" video without having a conversation is a BS way to intimidate and wouldn't fly real well with most of us.

Marc

Finally!!!! That is more like it. cheers

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 02:52 AM

Do you get stopped by a person saying nothing and videotaping you?

Yes, I have been videotaped before, and no, I did not like it.

Come to find out the landowner videotaping me had severe problems with trespassers using his land as well as a nieghbors to access public water and had started videotaping the violaters. Although I was not breaking any laws, past issues had made him feel it was necessary to shoot video first and talk later

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 03:01 AM

I have not yet videoed anyone near my property, but I would never say I wouldn't do it. But only if they ignored me or acted suspiciously. I have nicely approached folks around my properties before - you can tell right away what's what. I don't mind being approached in most circumstances either. I get it.

Just this morning a car was slowly cruising and stopped right at the end of my driveway as I was heading out to work. I got the license # just in case it may be needed in the future.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 03:06 AM

I've run into this once, though in a little different circumstance.

Immediately pulled out my phone and mirrored his movements of recording me, my vehicle etc. by pointing the phone at him, his vehicle, etc. Never said a word. He grumbled something, sped up and left when I got to his license plates.

People can be idiots. I guess I probably was just as big an idiot as he was at the time and might very well have been lucky things didn't escalate. Sometimes that's what it takes to make the ignorant leave NOW.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 03:25 AM

1) You make contact.
4) You move on.

Marc

A good and normal reaction
Posted By: 68A

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 03:56 AM

I can understand the mans concern, but he could've just asked what was going on. As NP said, you can usually tell the good from the bad based on their reaction.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 03:10 PM

Quote:
If someone is thinking I'm up to something bad they could stop and roll the window down and say hey what's going on stead of being a jerk and video taping my children

As my boss used to say, "There are inherent risks in going outside."

With that said, I think the focus on the kids was purely situational. They were the closest car so they got video'd.

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 06:06 PM

1) You make contact.
4) You move on.

Marc

A good and normal reaction

up

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I have not yet videoed anyone near my property, but I would never say I wouldn't do it. But only if they ignored me or acted suspiciously. I have nicely approached folks around my properties before - you can tell right away what's what. I don't mind being approached in most circumstances either. I get it.

Just this morning a car was slowly cruising and stopped right at the end of my driveway as I was heading out to work. I got the license # just in case it may be needed in the future.

NP, Are you afraid that the person might learn about your secret woodcock spots? roflmao

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

NP, Are you afraid that the person might learn about your secret woodcock spots? roflmao

Lol not really. Most don't even know what a woodcock is. But some will dang sure pot them a deer if they get the chance. A slow-driving truck pausing now and then near my place is usually either: 1)couple of good ol' boys having some beers and seeing the sights or 2)a couple of good ol' boys looking to shoot them a deer or two. Sometimes both pastimes are combined together. smile
Posted By: Curtis

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
GPS coordinates on pics or video are a helpful enforcement tool.

Probably has a poacher issue

This would be my guess. I know it must irritate some people but I really don't give a hoot. We have people stop by our place, even try to climb the fence to take pictures. People are weird and if I don't know them or care for what they are doing, I have been known to do pretty much what you described. Pictures of the license plate, driver, and call into law enforcement if they don't like what I'm doing. We have not had the property poached that I know of, but the people trying to climb our fence, park in our entrance, littering our entrance, well the need to find another hobby and a different place to do it.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/11/15 09:08 PM

I agree with others that it would be a worthwhile venture for OP to go out and introduce self and family to the locals. I would be a little iffy on meeting the videotape guy - maybe get a couple feelers first from others before approaching.

No harm in just viewing animals at all. I have no problem with that. But realize I dont know who you are and others wouldn't either. Most people in my area would observe a person stopping by for a bit and see how long they are there and what they are doing. I expect people to stop in front of our place on the highway to take pictures. It's pretty cool to see the exotics. But there are those that have bad intentions and its sometimes better to approach the visitor and see whats up.

Case in point, there was a guy that was parking on the gravel road a few years ago. After I approached him to find out what he was doing he told me to F off . I called his plate in to the Sheriff's Dept. Turns out they catch him and the guy had a warrant out and was hiding there for some reason. After that kind of thing, and people littering in front of your place, poaching, etc, well, you get a bit protective out here away from where it may take law enforcement a bit longer to get out here.

If you had been out by my place and I had seen you had kids I would certainly pull up and say hello. More than likely invite to take you out on the place and see a few animals. And I would also explain that we get a few wierdos out here that choose to not treat our property with respect and thus why I tried to find out what was going on.

Good intentions usually by both sides. With the traffic off I-10 here where I live its not unusuall to run into anything from drug traffic, coyotes(people who haul illegals across border), poachers, and what have you that choose to feel your place is a neat place to stop and rest or get away from the law. So we take precautions to vehicles and people we dont recognize in our area.
Posted By: Bigbullett

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/12/15 09:18 PM

People who live in the country and own property are generally pretty "cautious" when they notice strange vehicles stopped near their property. 2 years ago, my wife and I were in our deer blind and the road along our property line is a dead end and ends at my neighbors place. We know what the neighbor drives and he goes up and down the road numerous time a day. Well, this night we notice a "strange" white car that drove down our road about dusk and stopped adjacent to our fence. About 15 minutes after legal shooting time, we hear a gunshot very close, maybe even on our property. I go to check it out and find the car but no one around. Called the Sheriff office and told them we had possible road hunters. Long story short, when the guy came back to his car, I held him at gunpoint until the Deputy showed up, then DPS trooper, and finally Game Warden. The guy said he had permission to hunt on a neighbors property but was several hundred yards from the neighbors property and the gunshot sure as heck was not shot from neighbors property. After taking statements and talking to the suspect, the Game Warden cited him for road hunting and told me that I might be called as a witness if it was contested.

The next day during daylight we found a big hog that the road hunter had shot on ANOTHER neighbors property across the road and fence.

Now I am sure some people will say "you would have never held me at gunpoint", but I did. (I am also a retired police officer so I have had some experience in that area.) I also had my wife video the encounter. You ever know what legal procedures could come back and I wanted myself and actions documented.

I extremely cautious the rest of the hunting season in case of retaliation, but I never got called as a witness. My guess is he paid his ticket and found someplace else to hunt.
Posted By: TallTines&Pines

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/13/15 09:11 PM

People underestimate what can come from an old fashioned conversation. If you have a concern, and that's the case just ask someone! Wouldve put everyone on the same page instead of making assumptions.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/15/15 05:45 PM

Don't speak to these types. No words, no worries...video would speak for itself.

They waste a lot of LEO time just by sending or calling to follow up on their evidence of someone enjoying nature.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/15/15 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

I can get behind this, but real country folk used to stop and introduce themselves. Guess that has changed too. I wouldn't worry about it.

And ask if they need help. That is the first thing I do when I'm out and about around here. You can usually tell whether or not some one is up to no good.
Posted By: DFA

Re: would this irritate you? it did me - 11/16/15 03:17 PM

Too bad you weren't there to ask him what the hell he was doing. He probably thought you guys were road hunting, but it's pretty dumb to just get out and start videoing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum