Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Lease Question

Posted By: mikeydon

Deer Lease Question - 10/24/15 10:35 PM

I have 3 places here in East Texas to hunt deer and hogs,A guy i know wanted to get on with with me and 2 other hunters,2 weeks ago he made a deposit to get on,Yes he would have access to all 3 propertie's, since then i have talked to him and yea he is ready to get feeder and stand up, I will have the rest of the money next week and then well it will be this week,NOW TODAY i get get a text he can't finish paying,His deposit has done been spent on working on the propertie's like all of us have,So should the three of us suck it up and return his deposit,What ya'll think.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/24/15 10:46 PM

No, on my lease we have to pay 10% deposit in June of each year, if we're unable to pay come September 1st, we do not get our money back.
Posted By: Justin T

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/24/15 10:51 PM

Typically, the point of a deposit is to be non-refundable, to hold your spot. If you can fill his spot, then give him his money back out of the new guy's payment.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/24/15 10:54 PM

First off, what was you and his agreement-did he know that if he did not make payment he would loose the deposit?
Ant contract with him, verbal with witness ?
A lot unknown.
How far in east tx? Might be looking, cost, acres, electric details.
Posted By: batman

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/25/15 12:22 AM

A deposit is usually non refundable, but if I got someone else to fill the spot I'd give it back. Oh wait, I did give a guys money back when he backed out on my lease, oh well do what you think is right.
Posted By: DaveTexas

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/25/15 12:35 AM

Tell him you will look for a replacement hunter to fill his spot. If you find someone you will refund his deposit. If you do not fill his spot then the deposit is non refundable
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/25/15 03:39 AM

No.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/25/15 04:05 AM

Since you invested his money in improvements the three of you will enjoy, I would give him his money back as if the three of you footed the bill from the start.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/25/15 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: mikeydon
I have 3 places here in East Texas to hunt deer and hogs,A guy i know wanted to get on with with me and 2 other hunters,2 weeks ago he made a deposit to get on,Yes he would have access to all 3 propertie's, since then i have talked to him and yea he is ready to get feeder and stand up, I will have the rest of the money next week and then well it will be this week,NOW TODAY i get get a text he can't finish paying,His deposit has done been spent on working on the propertie's like all of us have,So should the three of us suck it up and return his deposit,What ya'll think.

If he is from Alba/Golden. Drives a 3/4ton. Black Dodge Pickup.
With ties to West Texas.
No. Do not let him on the lease!!!!!
Posted By: JRR

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/25/15 02:47 PM

Nope.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/25/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveTexas
Tell him you will look for a replacement hunter to fill his spot. If you find someone you will refund his deposit. If you do not fill his spot then the deposit is non refundable

That sounds like a good idea up
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 12:41 AM

Where are these leases and how much dinero are we talking about?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Espy

Yep, that's how it works.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 04:14 PM

I'd say only refund it if you get someone else to buy his spot, but if you are having to eat his part, then no.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 04:23 PM

When I was heading up leases, on two separate occasions I had guys back out. One lost his $3500 deposit and the other lost a $2500 deposit. I filled both spots eventually, but I was out for two or three months trying to fill spots, taking care of feeders, etc.; however, it was known and written up front that NO REFUNDS on deposits where to be made once commitments were made and payments received. Now, if I had a guy who had a tragic or life changing event happen, then I would have made every effort to give his money back to him, but neither of these were the case.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 05:12 PM

Very Fair up
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 07:10 PM

Posted By: tlk

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 08:38 PM

I would tell him if HE finds a suitable replacement that you approve of then he gets refund. You should not have to scramble around at this late date to find replacement
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/26/15 11:16 PM

I like this idea^^^^
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/27/15 11:42 AM

Looking at it from his perspective, if I made an obligation & couldn't fulfill it, I would certainy not expect a refund back.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Deer Lease Question - 10/27/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Looking at it from his perspective, if I made an obligation & couldn't fulfill it, I would certainy not expect a refund back.

Some people weren't raised right.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum