Texas Hunting Forum

Too Much Water In Food Plot...?

Posted By: texassippi

Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/23/15 09:04 PM

Is there such a thing as having too much water in our food plots? Our ranch is in Clarksville(Red River County) and it hasn't stopped raining since I got out here last night. We got the seed in last week and obviously it was dry as heck and now every food plot has standing water covering them. Is that too much water or will they be alright?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/23/15 09:33 PM

It will be alright as long as the water goes down in a few days.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/23/15 09:40 PM

Threw out seed just few days ago, it was dry... Been good rain al day cheers in weeks time should look pretty... flag
Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/23/15 11:00 PM

Did the same here 2 days ago and fertilized yesterday right before the rain started. Dry ground, freshly mowed last week, but did not disk or drag the seed (went with Annual Rye this year) and looked at it this morning before the rain again, and it was covered up but no water standing yet. Too dang dry here in Fayette Co. to have any water standing on this Postoak Savannah sandy soil.

Got my fingers crossed and hang in there, it should be fine if it doesn't have a tendency to runoff where you're located.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/23/15 11:55 PM

It will be fine. As dry as the ground is, it will soak in. What doesn't will evaporate, and watch it grow like crazy.

My place it part sandy loam and part blackland. The blackland had cracks that went several feet down, let it rain.
Posted By: nak

Re: Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/24/15 03:21 PM

I'm afraid there is such thing as too much rain. I planted a winter flood plot two weeks ago....between Corsicana and Palestine. It looks like about 18" rain total from the maps. River is forecasted to crest at a level that will leave my new food plot under about 3' of water, but that is before taking Richland Chambers into account. The spillway dumps into the Trinity about 5 miles up river from my place...and I got a text alert last night that says the spillways are opening.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/24/15 05:05 PM

I planted last week too. More worried about the creek flooding and washing the plot bed away than I am the seeds drowning.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Too Much Water In Food Plot...? - 10/24/15 09:23 PM

Normally I would say heck no but dang is it going to stop? I have two inches of water standing on the side of hill right now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum