Texas Hunting Forum

Lions in the yard

Posted By: DLFant

Lions in the yard - 10/23/15 07:55 PM

A buddy has a couple trail cams set out in the country. About a week ago he had 3 lions show up about 1 in the afternoon. We went out Wednsday it was raining to hard to call so we just scouted around. After a bite of lunch it quit raining and very near the cam we ran across 3 sets of fresh lion tracks (since it stopped raining) this one was pretty large. I thought to myself were out numbered and mabe out gunned haha.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/23/15 08:01 PM

That does not look like a lion track to me. Got any other pics?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/23/15 08:12 PM

Yeah, that looks more like a canid print. How about a game cam image with 3 lions on it?
Posted By: harge57

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/23/15 09:10 PM

looks canine.
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/23/15 09:10 PM

popcorn

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:26 AM

stxranch, double, and harge57 I do have some more pics of the tracks but that is the best . Here are you experts some pics of the canines from his trail cam I was mistaken on the time of day but some nice puppies anyway.

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:29 AM

Here are a couple more from that same day

Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:33 AM

So this is Arizona?
Posted By: swmays

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:33 AM

Nice animals. Are those saguaros in the background?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:35 AM

eek2

I would say don't go anywhere unarmed. But I think the better plan is to move.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:37 AM

Pretty awesome pictures.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:38 AM

Pretty awesome pictures.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 01:50 AM

Looks like a mother with last years cubs. She should be running them off pretty soon.
Nice pics.
I used to see a young male cougar a couple times a month on one of the gas wells that I serviced between Weatherford and Springtown about 6 years ago. He'd walk across the well pad while we were working,and pay us no mind at all.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 02:09 AM

Quote:
About a week ago he had 3 lions show up about 1 in the afternoon.

Originally Posted By: DLFant
stxranch, double, and harge57 I do have some more pics of the tracks but that is the best . Here are you experts some pics of the canines from his trail cam I was mistaken on the time of day but some nice puppies anyway.

You realize that the date on the time stamp that the 9 means SEPTEMBER and not October and that we are now in October? Those are pics from last month, not last week, according to the time stamp. As such, the equivocal tracks and pics do not correspond.

Nobody is saying that there aren't cats out there, only that your print doesn't look like a cat print.

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 02:37 AM

Double I said nothing about being a expert I will leave that to you. I was just sharing a pic I thought everyone would enjoy. Then you ask for the cam pics i referenced so I called and ask if he would email them which he obliged. They see cats as well as tracks periodically on the ranch, they dont have any dogs that size and it is about 24 miles to town and there were 3 sets crossing a wash, which were about 3 and 8 feet apart. As to the month I was going by what he said. However I didnt grill him. I do know he had just went and pulled the pics off and there several hundered so im guessing that might be the discrepancy. Either way enjoy the pics.

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 02:40 AM

Thanks standman fireman and hillbily
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 03:14 AM

I don't put much emphasis on game cam dates, not everybody cares about the date. (I never set the date or time on mine.) So was Ranchdog right? Is it Arizona?
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 04:22 AM

DL, don't you know that if you're on the THF that you are automatically a wildlife biologist?

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: huntingbig8
DL, don't you know that if you're on the THF that you are automatically a wildlife biologist?

Haha learn something new everyday
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
So this is Arizona?

From the plants it sure looks like Arizona.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
About a week ago he had 3 lions show up about 1 in the afternoon.

You realize that the date on the time stamp that the 9 means SEPTEMBER and not October and that we are now in October? Those are pics from last month, not last week, according to the time stamp. As such, the equivocal tracks and pics do not correspond.

Nobody is saying that there aren't cats out there, only that your print doesn't look like a cat print.

What do you know about mountain lion prints? What is your background and expertise? Not jack squat that's what.

There are hundreds of pictures that get posted without the correct date and time stamps. hammer
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 11:32 AM

Here are a couple more from that same day

Great pics. Thanks for sharing them. cheers
Posted By: decook

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 11:46 AM

DLFant, I bet most folks on the THF first thought this ranch was in Texas. Hang around awhile and you'll see your share of panther posts. Very cool photos.

I was deer hunting in the San Pedro Parks some 30 years ago and sat in some natural cover for the evening hunt. About 30 yards in front of me was an old fallen tree. After awhile a mountain lion came out and went up to the old snag and started catching and eating mice. It looked like a darned house cat playing with a toy.

I hot to enjoy watching it till it started getting dark. I wasn't sure what it would do if I just got up, so I shot a round right into the middle of that snag. I bet that cat is still running to this day, if not just in spirit.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 12:11 PM

This is a "Texas" hunting forum. The OP's info states "central Texas". He conveniently omitted location in the op and didn't show the pics which are obviously from an area other than Texas.

Personally I don't care where it's from, pictures of lions are always cool. But, with the info provided without the actual cat pics, you can't blame folks for assuming the cats were in Texas.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 02:06 PM

cheers & thanks for sharing the coolpics... My posts not worth 2cents would have ta agree with posters that say the pic with hand next to print is not a print of Mnt lion... That was my first thought when looking at it, & still is... As pappy once said: every one has opinions, my stinks < rofl that statement tis complicated... Oh, welcome ta THF... Tracks can get distorted, depending apone how old & were found... Even tougher judging by pic... My first though twas a yote track... Thread not about the track, coolpics of the lions in the back yard .... Thanks for sharing... flag
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 02:25 PM

Great pics! Like some of the others, the dates don't bother me. I have screwed mine up many times and prolly still have some that aren't right. muyloco
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 03:11 PM

Great pics, I'm always hopeful that I'll catch a lion on one of my cameras. I'm just north of Tyler, TX along I-20 and one of my neighbors is a pilot with his own airport. One day a couple years ago he was inspecting his plane before going for a flight and he saw a mountain lion watching him from a brush pile at the edge of his runway. He walked over to his barn, got his rifle and shot it. From what he said, it was over a hundred pounds and they had been seeing tracks for years, but this was the first time ever seeing it.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 03:23 PM

I'm on a new lease in Erath County this year and have been wondering if there are any around. It would be cool to get pics of one, but on the other hand it may make the walk to the blind a little different. There was one shot in the southern part of the county last year.
http://theflashtoday.com/2014/12/09/the-...n-erath-county/
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 04:53 PM

I'm still curious where these photos were taken.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 05:04 PM

My parents live outside of Tucson near the base of Mt. Lemon. The mountain range behind them is loaded with cougars, to the point that they're starting to encourage people to hunt them. They did a count and were expecting like 10 and got 40, and it's a pretty small range. They also tried to reintroduce mountain sheep and they were all killed within a month by cougs. They're starting to show up close to town, so it's probably time to dial the population down a bit.

Cool pics, love big cats.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 05:06 PM

thanks for sharing..neat pics
Posted By: decook

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
This is a "Texas" hunting forum. The OP's info states "central Texas". He conveniently omitted location in the op and didn't show the pics which are obviously from an area other than Texas.

Personally I don't care where it's from, pictures of lions are always cool. But, with the info provided without the actual cat pics, you can't blame folks for assuming the cats were in Texas.

I thought that too till I saw the saguaros.

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 08:13 PM

To clarify I live in central Texas I am on a hunt in Az.The tracks are north of Tucson, I didnt relize I conveniently omitted location I thought I was just sharing a cool pic.

I could not tell the pics did not come out as clear when in the field from my iphone as I would have liked. I was using my hand as a size referance because the tracks were near the same size as it is without the thumb and fingers, which measures a bit over three & a half inches square.

The Track in that picture looks about a inch narrower than it was if you look close that is still part of it under the little nickle sized rock to the right. Here is another
Posted By: wtr

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 09:41 PM

Cool pics. up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/24/15 10:31 PM

Don't worry about the nay sayers. Not everyone will hold your feet to the fire looking for proof of the truth. I have no reason to believe you are fabricating a lie or that you were attempting to fool people into a story that these pics were taken in Texas.
Posted By: firemack

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 12:17 AM

Awesome pics, thanks!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 03:00 AM

It's all just a matter of facts and perspective.....clarification is always a plus...."look at what I found on my lease in AZ".....jes sayin.....more common there than here....nobody beating anybody up...just not all on the same page....welcome to life....
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 03:12 AM

Great pics, thanks for sharing. First pic, "Looks good kids, come out for a drink." Second pic, "Lap, lap, lap...Mmmm good water!" Third pic, "Hey! Where'd Mom go?" Fourth pic, "I'm over here, about to eat this camera."
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 03:52 AM

boxing
Posted By: brushbuck

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 01:36 PM

Thanks for sharing some great photos.
Posted By: WLR Hunter

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 06:00 PM

Great cam photos and its always a kick to see something like this - thanks for sharing them up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 06:20 PM

Great follow-up pics and info. No one ever doubted that lions exist, just those bad pics claiming to be lion tracks. I for one never said anything about them being canine. Would have cleaned up this thread from the get go with all the info that was pieced in as it went. Thanks for sharing the pics, finally. grin
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/25/15 06:44 PM

cool stuff, thanks for sharing the photos up
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/26/15 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: rattler03
cool stuff, thanks for sharing the photos up

yessir ..... great pics cheers
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Lions in the yard - 10/26/15 01:12 AM

Cool pics. Glad I have never had those critters on my game cameras.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum