Texas Hunting Forum

Rats at Your Feeder?

Posted By: OffCoor1

Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 02:51 PM

Anyone else experiencing this?? I have 2 buddies that are being bombarded by big ol' rats - cleaning up their corn. These 2 feeders are about 100 miles apart, as a crow flies.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 02:57 PM

Got some big suckers under ours. I can hear them scurry through the prickly pears all day. There are 6 and maybe 7 in this picture.

It's going to keep the rattlesnakes full.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 03:09 PM

Yes I have.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 03:12 PM

I always here them eating at the corn feeder before I can see them.. big giant woodrats too
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 03:19 PM

foxes at my place keep those guys to a min.

I only know of them around cabin,,, never any under feeders (as they probably get eaten )
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 03:38 PM

Coyotes, hawks and owls keep our rat population pretty small. Never been a real issue for me.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 06:01 PM

We have them thick. 1st time we have seen them like this.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 06:11 PM

Not that big, but I've seen tons scurrying across Hwy 84 driving from Lubbock to Goldthwaite and back this summer/fall. Bumper crop!
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 06:17 PM

Exterminator said all the rains this Spring caused the rodent population to explode. I am seeing the same thing with rats at the feeders like never before. I use tamper proof bait stations with Contrac Blox at the cabin and barn to keep them at bay and am having to re-fill them every couple of weeks.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 07:39 PM

Kangaroo Rats = Rattlesnakes = Poop my Pants roflmao
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 07:41 PM

Better than the freaking rabbits we have around our place. I counted 12 of them in the feed pen in another picture.

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 08:00 PM

"Rent a Coyote" is the place to call.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 08:03 PM

Saw an owl swoop down and snatch one up early one morning. I had no idea one little rat could make so much noise. Sounded like someone sawing off a dog's leg with a dull saw.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 09:10 PM

You could put down those sticky peanut butter scented pads might get a few deer with them stuck to their noses and feet though.
I would setup some old rat traps and see how you do just around the feeder. Be careful bubonic plague is still carried in western rats and prairie dogs.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/20/15 09:27 PM

Our local population of owls and hawks seems to keep them in check.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/21/15 03:30 PM

One good reason not to harm bull snakes and rat snakes.
Rattlers will settle in where there is a high supply (of food...).
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/21/15 03:34 PM

Leave the windows on your blind down and a few weeks later you will have a family of owls in there that leave those suckers 1/2 eaten all over you stand.

We are in south texas and have big ole rats by the ton.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/21/15 04:13 PM

Night vision or thermal on a .22, .17, or pellet gun and you could have some fun like the Brits do...'ratting.'
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/21/15 06:54 PM

If attracting owls and hawks would be beneficial you can erect a perch for them. A pole 8 to 10 ft high 3 to 4 ft of 3/4 inch dowel on each side to make a T. They're used all the time on Christmas tree farms up here to control rabbits and rodents.

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/21/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
If attracting owls and hawks would be beneficial you can erect a perch for them. A pole 8 to 10 ft high 3 to 4 ft of 3/4 inch dowel on each side to make a T. They're used all the time on Christmas tree farms up here to control rabbits and rodents.

that's a cool idea

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/21/15 07:01 PM

Those corn fed rats eat as good as a squirrel you know... don't let your jiminy cricket fool you
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/21/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Got some big suckers under ours. I can hear them scurry through the prickly pears all day. There are 6 and maybe 7 in this picture.

It's going to keep the rattlesnakes full.

I'll see your 4 rats and raise you....
Posted By: High Country Archer

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/23/15 06:23 PM

I have killed two bobcats with my bow when they came to my bow stand to hunt the mice/rats. Keep your eyes peeled.
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/24/15 01:29 AM

They are so bad at my place they eat all the corn before the deer get a chance.
Posted By: Birdshot101

Re: Rats at Your Feeder? - 10/30/15 05:51 AM

Owls and foxes keep them in check at our place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum