Texas Hunting Forum

Dog proof coon traps

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 12:18 PM

Guys,

I've got a pretty bad problem with coons so I've bought 8 traps and am going to set them out Friday. Advice please on setting them out. I'm going to use sardines as bait but how far apart should I set them? Should I surround my feeder pen? I've thought of using one rebar to stake two traps down, one on each side, would this be too close?

Thanks for all your help!

Mel
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 12:23 PM

Never underestimate the power of a coon. I used skittles and peanut butter and worked fine. I've heard sardines work well too. Be sure and check your traps often/daily. You sure don't want dead animals surrounding your feeder pen.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 12:26 PM

I would put at least 4 right around your feeder.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 12:32 PM

I use corn in mine .. Sardines will attrack ants.. Have used marshmellows as well. I tried sardines and didnt wanna mess witht the smell or ants. I also took mine when they where new and spray painted em bright white and that helps from them rusting and easier to see.

I mad cut proof cables for mine that wrap around trees and secure em with locks. Also bent a nail over em to keep the coon from climbing
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 12:46 PM

I have used sardines, marshmallows, & regular ole deer corn. They all worked equally the same, but as mentioned above, the corn won't attract ants which is a plus for me.

I have placed them right under the feeder attaching them to the legs and then I have placed them away from the feeder along my hog panels. Directly under the feeders is a lot more effective.

Great idea Daniel1381, I should have painted mine as well because they do rust very quickly. They are still functional but.....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 01:41 PM

Make sure you put them far enough apart that you do not catch one coon in two traps. I have had this happen many times on feeder legs to close together. I would put corn or milo in them and then a few drops of sardines. Mini-marshmallows work good also. If you have fireants bait them later in the afternoon to early evening. I spray mine with PAM or a similar cooking spray to keep them from rusting so bad and as a lubricant.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 01:49 PM

Tie them down well. I cable them to my feeder legs and have only used corn so far with great success.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 03:44 PM

Good Luck and post pics of the results up
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 04:21 PM

Canned cat food. Works like a champ. I've trapped dozens of coons (and skunks) over the years. I do not put them real close to the feeder though. I usually use the t-posts of my feeder pen to wire them to. However, if I didn't have t-posts I would think rebar would be be just as good. I've never used more than 4 traps close to a feeder sight. I have had something in all 4 the next morning a couple times. Kinda exciting.
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 04:22 PM

By the way, I just buy the cheap small cans and pull the lid off and place the whole can in the trap.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 08:18 PM

Tie them to the feeder legs and you're GTG. Lease partner said to try chicken liver, I can testify it works well too. Good idea on painting prior to putting out, too late for mine though! Cat food may just be the next thing I try.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 09:07 PM

Not sure about using it with dog proof traps, but canned cat food and sardines can sometimes catch non target animals like skunks in regular jaw type traps, which aren't too fun to remove from the trap. I usually go with soured corn for this reason and set aways from the deer feeders.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 09:32 PM

just use corn; if it's good enough to attract them to feeder, it will work in dp trap.
ants will eat up sardines, marshmallows, etc.

also, as mentioned, don't put next to each other; caught animal with thrash & trash at everything within reach
Posted By: rclee

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 09:33 PM

Mini-marshmallows will also catch skunks in dog-proof traps. Next one will be left to the buzzards/fire ants or whatever to get the trap back.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 09:42 PM

Deerhunter61 - I feel your pain. We acquired a new property this year and are overrun with the bastages. It is not uncommon to see 6 - 12 on and under a feeder at night on the trail cam photos. I have now trapped over 40 since August. I am on them every time I make it out there. I use mini-marshmallows exclusively. No mess and they actually smell pleasant. I have not had any issues with ants and even so, I bet coons would just eat the ants as an added bonus. Tie them to the feeder legs. The feeder is what is attracting them. The marshmallows are different from the corn they are eating, so I think the marshmallows encourage them to reach in the trap more than corn would since they can just pick up corn off the ground from the feeder. As mentioned several times, secure them really well. I make sure I do and just last week, still lost another trap. I have no idea how. Bigfoot must have come by and yanked the trapped coon off for a snack. That is my only plausible explanation. Good luck and happy trapping.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/14/15 09:48 PM

Good advise above.
Be prepared to catch misc critters, I even caught a bird by the head.
What brand of trap did you get?

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/15/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: rclee
Mini-marshmallows will also catch skunks in dog-proof traps. Next one will be left to the buzzards/fire ants or whatever to get the trap back.

I have caught skunks and possums using corn and sardines also.

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/15/15 01:53 AM

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to try sardines and marshmallows as bait.

I'm going to drive some rebar into the ground and stake the traps to them. I'm hesitant to stake them to the feeder legs.
I certainly hope I don't catch a skunk! Geez, what do you do with the skunk? Do you carry a .22 rifle with you and shoot them in the head from 50 yards? When they die do they release the stink?
I was planning on taking my .22 pistol and shooting the coons in the head and then removing them from the trap.
And yes I will be checking on them often. I plan to set them out around 2-3 on Friday afternoon. I'll be in the stand a little later and keep an eye on them and them I'll be back in the stand Sat morning and will be watching for them.

I'll let you guys know how things go.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/15/15 02:23 AM

I used a .22 pistol for skunks and coons. Clearly, hitting skunks first shot is important. I have been fortunate to hit a few skunks good and they did not spray, others sprayed or had already sprayed before I got there. You never know.
Coon trapping can be addictive.
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/15/15 10:34 PM

I used em for the first time this year. Bought six traps, over a 3 week period I caught 18 coons off the same feeder using 3 traps. Another place we used all six on 3 feeders over night and came out with six coons after one night run and one morning run. They work great as others have said, i found corn works just as good and makes less mess

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/17/15 10:44 PM

Guys,

I only got one this morning. I changed bait, corn only, and then moved some of the traps so we will see what we get tonight.

Posted By: Western

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/17/15 10:58 PM

That is one down up If you have water close by, that is another sure bet for coons, may spread them out from the feeder and a few around water.

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/18/15 05:29 AM

That's a great start. Keep at it.

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 12:50 PM

Guys,

Here's the update. I caught one Friday night and three Saturday night. Two of them were huge! Saturday I built a cage around my feeder so my trapping days are over I think. If I feel like it's necessary I'll do it again but frankly watching them from my stand Sat and Sun morning struggling to free themselves, suffering, didn't feel right. I'd rather just shoot them. Perhaps I'm just a softy.

Thank you guys for all your help! You guys did help me accomplish what I was trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Mel
Posted By: Stub

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 01:01 PM

I put them at least 30 yards and further away from my feeder so not to spook the deer. I use bailing wire and secure to a small tree.
For bait I use regular size marshmallows under the trigger and put cheap fish type cat food on top.

Good luck up

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Guys,

Here's the update. I caught one Friday night and three Saturday night. Two of them were huge! Saturday I built a cage around my feeder so my trapping days are over I think. If I feel like it's necessary I'll do it again but frankly watching them from my stand Sat and Sun morning struggling to free themselves, suffering, didn't feel right. I'd rather just shoot them. Perhaps I'm just a softy.

Thank you guys for all your help! You guys did help me accomplish what I was trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Mel

I check the traps before I hit the stand and keep a little 10/22 or Single Six with me for dispatching. I've got trail cam pics of deer (including a nice buck!) showing up not five minutes after shooting a coon and clearing the trap.

Keep killing them. No matter what you've done around your feeder, your trapping days are not over. up

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 02:20 PM

Your trapping days are not over with a varmint cage. I have Eliminator Spinner plates and still catch plenty of coons every year.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 02:25 PM

We use wire to them to trees or get a little fence post. We put marshmallows and corn in them and work great.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 02:26 PM

If your hand gets stuck in one try the other one. 2 hands in 2 traps.
Posted By: munoz

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 02:28 PM

So Deerhunter61, you have some dog proof traps for sale? wink

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Guys,

I only got one this morning. I changed bait, corn only, and then moved some of the traps so we will see what we get tonight.

Lovely Sight right there....Made my Day up

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775

If your hand gets stuck in one try the other one. 2 hands in 2 traps.

banana
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/19/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Your trapping days are not over with a varmint cage. I have Eliminator Spinner plates and still catch plenty of coons every year.

Yep. The varmint cage just gives them something better to hold onto. It is nothing to see 3 or 4 of them hanging on the varmint cage at one time. Deerhunter61, you'll eventually lose that soft heart after the money they'll end up costing you. It is also noteworthy that they are a main predator of quail and turkey eggs. Our wildlife biologist has encouraged us to trap as many as possible. Most of the time they will not show up until after dark, so ambushing them from your blind is not going to be very productive.

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/20/15 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

Yep. The varmint cage just gives them something better to hold onto. It is nothing to see 3 or 4 of them hanging on the varmint cage at one time. Deerhunter61, you'll eventually lose that soft heart after the money they'll end up costing you. It is also noteworthy that they are a main predator of quail and turkey eggs. Our wildlife biologist has encouraged us to trap as many as possible. Most of the time they will not show up until after dark, so ambushing them from your blind is not going to be very productive.

Absolutely this, and is why I trap them. Corn stealing doesn't really bother me, it's the nest destruction the boils my blood. That, and they can jack up a feeder too.

I saw this (freaking coon Olympics).

Then I did this.

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/20/15 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

Absolutely this, and is why I trap them. Corn stealing doesn't really bother me, it's the nest destruction the boils my blood. That, and they can jack up a feeder too.

I saw this (freaking coon Olympics).

Then I did this.

Then this rifle up

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/20/15 01:53 PM

Then this rifle up

I'm keeping it G Rated. grin

Re: Dog proof coon traps - 10/21/15 04:00 AM

Thanks guys! I'm not getting rid of my traps just yet cuz I saw coons on my other feeder from my trail cam pics I pulled this weekend. I'm going back to see how my cage has held up and if it's held up good then I'm just going to put a cage on my second feeder. If they've torn it up I'm going to start trapping again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum