Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps?

Posted By: daniel1381

Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps? - 10/04/15 10:12 PM

Bought a new 16 ft trailer(other was stolen) for my side x side. I was wondering if anyone ever used the tracking gps incase it gets stolen? If so which one are yall using??
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps? - 10/05/15 12:17 AM

Personally I don't think the cost is worth it. And I have GPS on a bunch of my equipment. Between the initial cost. Needing a battery and way to keep it charged and depending which model the service charge after a little while you have more money in making sure it doesn't get stolen then what the trailer is worth.

If it were me I would get a good hitch lock and a very heavy duty chain and chain the two axles and tires through the frame to make it harder.

Walter
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps? - 10/05/15 12:14 PM

Ok thanks walter for saving me the $$ will do that!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps? - 10/05/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Personally I don't think the cost is worth it. And I have GPS on a bunch of my equipment. Between the initial cost. Needing a battery and way to keep it charged and depending which model the service charge after a little while you have more money in making sure it doesn't get stolen then what the trailer is worth.

If it were me I would get a good hitch lock and a very heavy duty chain and chain the two axles and tires through the frame to make it harder.

Walter

Solid Advice up
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps? - 10/05/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Walter

Solid Advice up

Case Hardened chain & locks......pretty cheap insurance against trailer theft! I also re-registered my 16ft trailer as a regular utility trailer instead of a farm trailer and stamped the issued VIN multiple times on every part (axles, etc)and on sides, back, front, & tongue of trailer. cheers
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps? - 10/06/15 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Walter

Solid Advice up

Case Hardened chain & locks......pretty cheap insurance against trailer theft! I also re-registered my 16ft trailer as a regular utility trailer instead of a farm trailer and stamped the issued VIN multiple times on every part (axles, etc)and on sides, back, front, & tongue of trailer. cheers

All good advice......Having managed an equipment fleet of over 150 pieces of equipment ranging from trailers to D-10 CATS; I can tell you that if thieves want to steal something- THEY WILL!

One infamous case I remember was having a D-8 CAT stolen off a jobsite in Dallas, It just VANISHED on labor day weekend 2011.

To catch crooks around the equipment yard I used the double bait method.... I would leave a fuel tank, trailer, four wheeler, ect. in a secluded area and put a broken game camera in plain sight as if it was there to catch someone stealing.

Then in a higher out of reach area that would require a ladder to access it; I would post a much smaller camera so that it could see both the equipment and the broken game camera.

The thieves come in and once they remove/steal the busted game camera they become more relaxed and usually you get a lot of good footage of them.
Posted By: Bois D'arc

Re: Hunting utility trailer .. Anyone use gps? - 10/06/15 04:04 PM

paint the deck red so it'll be real easy to spot if it goes missing
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum