Texas Hunting Forum

Son draws Sam Houston Natoinal Forest hunt

Posted By: GPS

Son draws Sam Houston Natoinal Forest hunt - 10/02/15 02:23 AM

My son was drawn for a antlerless deer hunt in the Sam Houston National Forest. This is the first time he has won and I have never won. The success rate is low, but we still want to give it a try. Any advise on how to approach a hunt on public land like this?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Son draws Sam Houston Natoinal Forest hunt - 10/02/15 04:16 AM

I have found both USFS staff and TPWD game wardens to be very helpful in giving hunters tips on areas to focus their efforts.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Son draws Sam Houston Natoinal Forest hunt - 10/02/15 03:16 PM

cheers congrat's... Seen a few others post in the public hunting section that will be on draw hunts... Not sure when your hunt will be... Think you will be given a section ta hunt... Their might have been other hunters, it is public land, that have been hunting area you will be asigned.... So any advise, might not be acuret... As mentioned the people who run the operation, will be willing ta help.. Yet they not out pudding one foot in front of the other scouting for you... Their main job is running smooth hunt... 2cents Enjoy the opertunity, & if have general idea of compartment you'll be asigned, scout before hand.. ... Best Wishes... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum