Texas Hunting Forum

buzzards

Posted By: rickym

buzzards - 09/22/15 02:25 PM

I've noticed the last few times I've gone to fill my feeder that there's about 35 buzzards that seem to have made a home within 100 yards of my feeder, I don't get many photos of them at the feeder, haven't killed anything yet to really give them a reason to stick around. I also haven't seen many deer and wondering if the birds could be part of the problem. What do y'all say? How do I get rid of them without shooting every one?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 02:30 PM

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to shoot them.

I don't think they will negatively affect the hunting except for all that ugliness you have to look at.
Posted By: Western

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 02:31 PM

Well, you can't legally shot , or harass them so....Probably just like the roosting place, I have a few that will overnight 30 yards from my feeder, doesn't bother my deer at all.

Also have a power line that runs about 50 yards away from my feeder by my small pond, I will get a dead one every now and then when they cross those wires, hell, the yotes wont even haul them off, but deer just walk around them.

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 02:39 PM

Ok well good thing I haven't taken any action yet? Can I legally cut the dead tree down in the middle of the day when they aren't roosting in it? The trail I walk down to get to my feeder is almost right under the tree and they make tons of noise when I'm walking to my stand.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 02:59 PM

If you need fire wood dead trees are the best place to start.

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
If you need fire wood dead trees are the best place to start.

up

They aren't nesting in it, so I'd get to cutting
Posted By: MarkE

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 03:05 PM

Bump them off the roost at night or right at dark. Do that a time or 2 and they will not come back.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 03:08 PM

Hate um... loose live baby calfs to them every year and two goat this year

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

I have heard of that happening, but never met anyone that actually had that happen with a strong newborn calf. I had a few buzzards that nested on our place, only rocky hill we had (they nest on the ground), but never saw them around my calves or mama cows. I have seen redtails on the after birth once, which surprised me, the c/c pair where not more than 30' from them either.

I can see it being worse for a calf only deal, no mama there to protect a newborn.

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 03:21 PM

Take that back, did have a neighbor that shot one years ago after it had pecked out the eyes on a newborn, wasn't dead yet (calf) so he had to put it down, So I know 2 folks that have lost calves to buzzards.

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 03:22 PM

Na they will kill the newborns and they figured out how to kill the bigger ones like week 3week old calfs by pestering the mama so much she actually stomps the calf while trying to protect it... they get no mercy from me

Re: buzzards - 09/22/15 03:34 PM

Got to protect your livestock! up

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 12:30 PM

Checked my camera yesterday, not a single deer in the last two weeks, and there's up to 23 buzzards at the feeder on any given day. bang
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 12:43 PM

Yepper, will peck the eyes and dirt whistle out of every baby calf, goat and deer they can get ahold of...
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 01:41 PM

rifle
Posted By: huntindude

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 01:56 PM

What dead tree?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Checked my camera yesterday, not a single deer in the last two weeks, and there's up to 23 buzzards at the feeder on any given day. bang

confused2 could it be theirs plenty of other brows fot the deer ? Not seeing that many deer on cams eather, mostly they coming inta minneral blocks.. Had at least 20+ buzzards at what was left after chooten hog... When walking ta check cams or ta creek dont see that many buzzards, yet when carry a rifle & sit at blind confused2 buzzards show up... Hope ya get it figured out popcorn cool thread, interesting posts.... flag
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

I have heard of that happening, but never met anyone that actually had that happen with a strong newborn calf. I had a few buzzards that nested on our place, only rocky hill we had (they nest on the ground), but never saw them around my calves or mama cows. I have seen redtails on the after birth once, which surprised me, the c/c pair where not more than 30' from them either.

I can see it being worse for a calf only deal, no mama there to protect a newborn.

They will peck the eyes out if they can get to them. Especially them mesican eagles.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 04:21 PM

I have never had a problem with my calves I have seen others get their eyes poked but they have done it my to fawns...More of problem during and immediately after birth when mama can't do much else but push. Not such a problem in wet years but when its dry and meal are few and far between. Ive hear horror stories of the Cara Cara I believe probably spelled wrong (mesican hawks) black and white taking eyes from bulls and calves alike which means certain death. The TVs are also know to spread disease from eating the afterbirth of different cattle. A feeder running creates a sanctuary or habitat for all animals even those not directly eating corn, coyotes, TVs, etc.

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 05:51 PM

I should add the turkey vultures (redhead buzzards) never give any trouble.. they are pretty solitary.. its the all black ones that are the issue.. they hunt in packs and are like a yote with wings imo... every time this happens there are a good 30 of them

Re: buzzards - 09/23/15 06:02 PM

I should add the turkey vultures (redhead buzzards) never give any trouble.. they are pretty solitary.. its the all black ones that are the issue.. they hunt in packs and are like a yote with wings imo... every time this happens there are a good 30 of them

Black vulture.

They prolly know you only carry 29 rounds grin ? They can be a PITA, but they do serves as "cleanup".

When I hunted in STX, they did say those white and black hawk looking birds where aggressive. They are neat looking though.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: buzzards - 09/24/15 12:43 AM

You can't shoot the Turkey Buzzards,but the Mexican Buzzards aren't protected in Texas according to our area GW. We shoot those black headed SOB's every chance we get,just leave the red headed ones alone.

I shot a yote a couple years ago,and within ten seconds of it hitting the ground there were 5 Mexican buzzards on the ground with it. Only two of them got to fly away.They really explode when hit by a 115 grain Silvetip from a 25/06.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: buzzards - 09/24/15 01:17 AM

I have heard both black vultures and crested caracaras called Mexican buzzards. Both are protected by the MIGRATORY BIRD TREATY ACT

List of birds here

Game Warden may be allowed to let you shoot them if they are causing deprivation, this I do not know.
Posted By: Tres

Re: buzzards - 09/24/15 03:17 AM

They randomly show up on one of our protein feeders around dusk, doesn't seem to bother the deer though. If I could shoot them, I would.
Posted By: Sugars Pop

Re: buzzards - 09/24/15 09:22 PM

Fine is $10,000 per bird for black or turkeys. I have a permit to shoot them at the lake(100 blacks,25 turkeys) but had to get the wildlife biologists in Fort Worth to provide a form and then send it with $50/yr to the US Fish and Wildlife office in N.M. You have to keep logs, different restrictions etc. I suggest cutting down the dead and if they move to another tree use deterants like shooting fireworks, shooting a gun in the air etc and they should move on.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: buzzards - 09/24/15 11:31 PM

Never had any luck bumping them off the roost at night.

Re: buzzards - 09/24/15 11:38 PM

There's two trees one on each side of the feeder, each about 80-100 yards away. One I may be able to cut the other I can't. I can cut the one I have to walk by though
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum