Texas Hunting Forum

Drones for hunting

Posted By: copperhead

Drones for hunting - 09/22/15 06:49 AM

I've recently been watching some shows where people have been using small drones to look for old foundations of buildings that had disappeared years ago. I'm wondering if people will start using them to hunt with, such as taking a look over a ridge, into canyons, or in brushy areas. Just kind of wondering if its even feasible. Thoughts?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/22/15 08:16 AM

I'm sure it's feasible, and I'm sure some folks have done it. I also know they've been outlawed in some places too.

But why? How much more advantage do we need? How satisfying will it be to shoot a buck that you tracked down with a drone?

That's not directed at you copperhead, but in general.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/22/15 02:26 PM

I see it happening if it hasn't already.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/22/15 02:41 PM

I remember seeing a video of a guy that was using his drone to spot pigs and then talk his hunters into the location. I also seem to remember that the FAA told him not to do that for some reason.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/22/15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226

But why? How much more advantage do we need? How satisfying will it be to shoot a buck that you tracked down with a drone?

Droning in a HF would be the ultimate way to go! loco
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/22/15 03:14 PM

We bought the Lily drone but I plan on primarily using it for action shots not scouting. I plan on putting the 'tracker' on my dog for some aerial video of her upland hunting and duck retrieves.

https://www.lily.camera/
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/22/15 03:23 PM

I used to hunt in west texas and I would use a sling to throw rocks into the canyons and see if I could scare anything out. I always thought it would be cool to have a helicopter or drone to be more effective. Not sure it would work but would be fun.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 09:56 AM

I, personally, would not use one. I like the thought of edging up to a canyon and looking over the edge and seeing deer. We've got so many gadgets that gives us the advantage that we don't need anymore.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: brianl
I used to hunt in west texas and I would use a sling to throw rocks into the canyons and see if I could scare anything out. I always thought it would be cool to have a helicopter or drone to be more effective. Not sure it would work but would be fun.

Used to do the same thing.
Posted By: TAFFMASTER

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 03:50 PM

They are pretty noisy even when high up
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TAFFMASTER
They are pretty noisy even when high up

I believe this would be the limitation. Difficult to make a quiet one with the ends of those prop blades making noise.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 04:19 PM

if you go look at YouTube, there are several videos where a drone was flown down close, some very close, to deer, they were kinda mesmerized and didn't seem to spooked or scared of the drone.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 04:30 PM

Whole new world of topics, opinions, trolls, new vs old, fenceline monitoring, etc is going to open up. Plus reasons, ie, I'm too old to walk and scout, I'm too rich and important to waste a minute in the field and need to kill and get home/office quickly, do I have the right to shoot down a drone over my feeder or own my lease, etc.... popcorn
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 04:32 PM

I'm sure it's safer and less expensive than a helicopter survey.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 05:42 PM

We use a drone for checking pig traps. We can get to a trap and back that is 1 mile away in about 5 minutes. To drive around fields, through 4 gates, through the brush and back takes about 20 minutes, if the roads are not soggy. To check several traps is even more efficient.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 05:50 PM

interesting about checking the pig traps. What kind of drone and camera are you using.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/24/15 09:56 PM

Here is my maiden voyage. It is short with a bit of adjusting the camera and a rookie near crash into a T-post at the end. The drone is my brother's so I do not know a lot about it.
The controller has an iPad mounted on it for a screen, excellent picture. I can find out more about it. At the 38 second mark you can see a reflection of the drone in the puddle under the feeder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3JO5MVJnI&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: therancher

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/25/15 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Whole new world of topics, opinions, trolls, new vs old, fenceline monitoring, etc is going to open up. Plus reasons, ie, I'm too old to walk and scout, I'm too rich and important to waste a minute in the field and need to kill and get home/office quickly, do I have the right to shoot down a drone over my feeder or own my lease, etc.... popcorn

It's a wonderful life.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/25/15 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
I'm sure it's safer and less expensive than a helicopter survey.

Yes
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/25/15 01:57 AM

We were playing with thermal scopes in west texas and it was amazing what you could see. several times we found Aoudad that had been past by just minutes before. Technology is pretty cool at times. it is only up to us to decide if we should turn use it or not.

Re: Drones for hunting - 09/25/15 04:48 AM

This is some drone use I can get behind.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5942023/Drone_hunt#Post5942023 up
Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/05/15 05:13 PM

I believe elk hunters came up with this idea very quickly after drones became readily available
Posted By: shadams

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/05/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
We bought the Lily drone but I plan on primarily using it for action shots not scouting. I plan on putting the 'tracker' on my dog for some aerial video of her upland hunting and duck retrieves.

https://www.lily.camera/

That is just about the coolest [censored] thing I have ever seen....what'll they think of next...
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/06/15 03:30 AM

All for it for surveys/pop counts. But for actual hunting I guess I am old school. The most I feel good about is game cams on trails between beds and feeding area. I guess I just want to see if Ican outsmart the deer using traditional scouting methods. Some of the best hunts I have been on have been scout hunts, finding the trails between the beds and feed/water and just sitting underneath a tree.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/06/15 07:37 PM

Got a buddy in San Angelo whose dad uses one to check cows. Drink coffee on the front porch and watch on his ipad.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/06/15 07:44 PM

A drone was something I was totally against in general just an old school mentality. Thought I would definitely shoot the first one I saw. A few years later after losing a few thousand dollars worth of beef running around the river bottom I have one and a whole lot of appreciation. Finding animals is way easier dead or alive. I have used them to find downed animals and live ones. The noise does not scare them as much as you think unless you go down for a close up. Sounds like a swarm of mosquitos.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/07/15 01:19 AM

cheers yagh, sometimes when i'm slinger feelen eagletestical , you know, like the song says: mocho like a man.. i likes ta strap on me slinger six shooter rig & go wondering about the woods, with flash light off, on ol fashon hog hunt, like the good ol days... flag

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/07/15 08:53 AM

I bet it's probably a good tool against poachers too. Smile!
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/08/15 06:44 PM

For me, nothing to do with legality or ethics. I already carry too damm much stuff, no way would I burden myself with a drone and all the ancillary stuff to go with it.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Drones for hunting - 10/08/15 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
cheers yagh, sometimes when i'm slinger feelen eagletestical , you know, like the song says: mocho like a man.. i likes ta strap on me slinger six shooter rig & go wondering about the woods, with flash light off, on ol fashon hog hunt, like the good ol days... flag

popcorn Tis age of high-tech, life stile of the rich & famous.. Seen it as a meter reader, several days had ta wrap knee, trying ta compete, with high-tech... Get caught up, go help here, go help thar... We lost our jobs, didn't do no good ta complain... Gov still spying on me bout alian body parts... Yet me favoret hog hunts were wondering about the woods... Old school... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum