Texas Hunting Forum

How to wash the clothes in a hunt.

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 02:19 AM

I'm packing in for elk next month and I'm trying to keep weight down so I only wanna pack in 2 pairs of socks. Question is, how do I wash them by hand without them drying stiff and rough? Every time I wash my socks by hand they turn out horrible feeling when they dry. Anybody have advice on how get them soft when they dry?
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 02:37 AM

I say don't wash them? Kinda nasty, but washing clothes and bodies every day is a relatively recent part of our culture.

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 02:41 AM

Haha I just want to wash my socks. Even after a long day they get stuff and gross. Lol
Posted By: Cast

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 03:06 AM

I'm afraid I got nothing. I just turn them inside out and go again.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 03:16 AM

Can't help ya with the sox, carry my hunting cloths in trash bag with pine needles & ceder bark... Been known ta jump in creek.... flag
Posted By: Western

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 03:22 AM

Try some kind of dry cleaner. Mat find a spray or powder IDK
Posted By: titan2232

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 03:54 AM

I can wear a pair of socks all week without a hint on stench to them. I choose to wear deodorant just for the nice smell, but my arm pits do not sweat either confused2

How much weight could a few pairs of socks really add?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 06:43 AM

Make sure and take bottled water. The filters and iodine tabs taste like crap. confused2 grin
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 08:18 AM

From Amazon the shipping weight for 10 socks is about a pound. http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Mens-Socks-W...ords=mens+socks

When I go hunting I am not going to worry about changing socks over a 3 or 4 day hunt. But I do carry an extra pair, I wear one pair and then the next day I let the other pair dry out. Alternating the 2 pair for as long as I stay there. Dirty socks won't kill you, I just want them DRY, my feet sweat so I alternate them every day.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 08:23 AM

Here's a tip my grandpa told me years ago. Take a plastic sack (Academy or whatever) slide your foot in and put the sock on over it. It sounds weird and uncomfortable, but it will keep your feet warm and dry if you're doing a still hunt.

Never tried it, but it might be worth a try.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 01:53 PM

where in Colorado are you hunting at?
Posted By: cactusfishman

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 02:06 PM

Try moisture wicking socks like Thorlo, WigWam, SmartKnit. Used with the boot liners they can help keep your dogs dry and keep the odor down. I have worn a pair for 3 days straight with out the feet looking like white prunes.
The materials and weave pull the sweat away from your feet to the outside of the sock. Hang 'em up to dry off at night and you'll be ready the next day without that crunchy feeling inside.
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 03:19 PM

Been hunting elk for years and we hang all hunting clothes down wind of the camp fire. Smoke helps cleanse and cover up sent. Elk are vary used to the smell of smoke due to mt fires. Have worked great for us

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 04:03 PM

I'll be hunting near Creede. I'm not worried about the smell I just don't like the feeling of having on rough stiff socks on. And we are packing in 7-8 miles depending where the elk are so bringing 10 pairs of socks isn't really a choice.
Posted By: maximum

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 10:17 PM

use sportwash brand clothes detergent.
it rinses well and has no scent or optical
brighteners. just use a small amount. i've
handwashed with it a bunch of times, and
none of my clothes have ever turned out "stiff".
either your detergent isn't rinsing out completely,
or your socks need to be thrown out and
replaced with quality merino wool socks of
at least 70% merino wool minimum.

you may not find sportwash around here anywhere.
wally world used to sell it, but i've been unable
to find it anywhere, so i'll have to mail-order
a large jug of it.
Posted By: maximum

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/20/15 10:19 PM

and get some of the polyprolene liner socks
as suggested for cold weather. keeps that clammy
feeling away.
Posted By: rclee

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/21/15 12:48 AM

I spent a week+ backpacking in Philmont (near Cimarron, NM). We used sock liners combined with wool outer socks. Camp suds and a gallon bag with a little water for washing and rinsing. Don't remember the socks being stiff at all.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/21/15 01:44 AM

If you really want to do it - use a sock liner system. Regular boot socks, but buy a couple of pair of the ultra-thin liners. The liners will keep your feet drier, warm, and they will absorb the smell. They are easily washed and won't harden - and dry MUCH faster.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/21/15 04:19 AM

Rub some non scented shaving cream in to your socks. Then hang away from fire to get smoke. The shaving cream will soften the socks, not add odor, and the aloe in the cream will help with any rough spots,blisters while you are on a long hike. If you have the option, spritz a bit of water over the cream and Rub in and let dry.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: How to wash the clothes in a hunt. - 09/21/15 04:42 PM

I understand that this Idea is not good for packing in, but this is a good solution otherwise. I used this some when I had my Boy Scout Troop. We used the bucket to pack stuff in and just brought the lid and plunger with us.

http://www.instructables.com/id/redneck-washing-machine/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum