Texas Hunting Forum

Game Warrden question

Posted By: GPS

Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 07:21 PM

We have 2 non-typical bucks on our lease that will not make the AR. One buck we are now in year 2 of his unicorn growth with one of his antlers. Several individuals have suggested I contact our local GW and see if we can take them out.

Has anyone ever done that, contact a GW and received permission to remove a deer that wont make the AR?
Posted By: btp

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 07:26 PM

Shouldn't be an issue if it's an MLD managed lease. Either way, make the call, can't hurt to ask.
Posted By: Savage388

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 07:45 PM

The law is what it is. The Game Warden cannot make an exception to it for anyone. It kinda like asking a police officer permission to steal a chicken because you are hungry.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 07:51 PM

No LEO including GW's can give you permission to break the law.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:08 PM

We have been seeing an increased number of these "antelope bucks" as well. The loop hole in the current AR's must be addressed IMO. A rule that allows any forked-racked buck to be taken when his rack height exceeds his rack width would be my suggestion.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:20 PM

How bad do you want him gone?

Would you pay say up to $500 for him to be off the property?
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Savage388
The law is what it is. The Game Warden cannot make an exception to it for anyone. It kinda like asking a police officer permission to steal a chicken because you are hungry.

Is this chicken in someone's yard or running around the Jack-in-the-Box parking lot?
Posted By: GPS

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:24 PM

I agree with all the comment, it's just so many people have told me to send my GW these pictures and see if the AR would apply.

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:26 PM

Then do so. Not like hes gona write you a ticket for asking a question. All wardens see things differently they are people not robots.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
No LEO including GW's can give you permission to break the law.

They sure can look the other way
Posted By: Western

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:43 PM

You would be better off contacting the TPW biologist for your area, maybe those two bucks need CWD checked......
Posted By: rickym

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 08:57 PM

I think we need to see some pictures grin

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 09:02 PM

He has them posted in another thread

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
You would be better off contacting the TPW biologist for your area, maybe those two bucks need CWD checked......

roflmao

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 09:13 PM

Found them, I have another question that may or may not come in handy. If one of them breaks off leaving just the single tine, is it legal to shoot even though you know it wasn't before?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 09:37 PM

Usually, game wardens will not allow you to cull bucks simply because you don't like them.

Quote:
Found them, I have another question that may or may not come in handy. If one of them breaks off leaving just the single tine, is it legal to shoot even though you know it wasn't before?

NO

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

NO

Can you quote where it says no? It wouldn't obey the spirit of the law, but seems like it would obey the leter of the law to me.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Quote:

NO

Can you quote where it says no? It wouldn't obey the spirit of the law, but seems like it would obey the leter of the law to me.

And would it be any different if you didn't know the buck broke it off fighting? What if the buck broke an entire horn off?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 09:59 PM

Quote:

NO

Yeah, my understanding also. Now the game warden would be able to tell if it was freshly broken. But it would have one unbranched antler.

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Quote:

NO

Yeah, my understanding also. Now the game warden would be able to tell if it was freshly broken. But it would have one unbranched antler.

Right so if it ends up with one unbranched antler, not super freshly broken or cut off is it legal?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/17/15 10:12 PM

How as a hunter are we supposed to determine if an antler is "freshly broken".
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Savage388

Not entirely accurate. There is a Warden in NE Texas that will waive the AR citation if the deer ages 4.5 or older.

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 12:53 AM

In what county?

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:01 AM

Angelina. It happened on two occasions on a co-workers lease.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:04 AM

I wish they would give the land owner a tag that he could use for AR deer that need to be shot.

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: titan2232

Which lease?

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Which lease?

Not sure. Paper Mill property if I remember correctly. confused2
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:18 AM

Usually, game wardens will not allow you to cull bucks simply because you don't like them.

Quote:

NO

I'm gonna call BS on this Double Naught! If a buck has a single tine it is legal to shoot period!!!!!!

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:18 AM

The warden waived the citation on two occasions, but not sure if it happens on a regular basis. I think he would get tired of getting called out to the same piece of property for someone shooting a questionable buck and one would have to question the hunters on this land if it happened regularly.

I don't think my co-worker shot the deer knowing it was under 13" if anyone was wondering.

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Which lease?

Not sure. Paper Mill property if I remember correctly. confused2

That's what most of them will be. Would be surprised though that they get called out to MLD3 leases pretty regular about <13" deer.

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:51 AM

From my understanding from several co-workers on the lease it was a back stabbing type deal. One of the hunters knows the warden well and called when he disagreed with the animal. Snitch trout
Posted By: passthru

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 02:08 AM

Hogs and coyotes gotta eat.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 02:32 AM

Quote:
I'm gonna call BS on this Double Naught! If a buck has a single tine it is legal to shoot period!!!!!!

Interesting point (no pun intended). After doing some checking, the law specifies "unbranched" but does not define unbranched. The problem is for the stated query is that the buck's tine was known to be branched and that is what I was going on.

However, you appear to be correct that if you come across a deer with just a singular broken beam on one side, no brow tine, and no evidence of having branched, then you would be golden.

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:08 PM

It does define unbranched. It cant have a point that is 1 inch or longer.
Posted By: Western

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:18 PM

Just thinking out loud.

If you shoot a buck that is broke off at the base, or up to and before the eye guard, there is no way of knowing what that buck was, all you can do is speculate, but it is a one sided buck at that point IMO. Now if you go on the world wide web and post photos and all that "stuff", then that is probably enough proof that you had a reasonable idea of what that buck "truly" was. Still don't know if that would be enough difference if the "buck in hand" has a broke off side.

I wouldn't want to argue it in court on a wildlife citation.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 01:30 PM

Y'all don't have anyone that is a chronic gut shooter?? Doesn't seem to me y'all want it gone all that bad.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/18/15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Hogs and coyotes gotta eat.

Originally Posted By: therancher
Y'all don't have anyone that is a chronic gut shooter?? Doesn't seem to me y'all want it gone all that bad.

let the people govern themselves they said....

the law don't go round here they said.....
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/19/15 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher

wow.
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/19/15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Is up to $500 the fine? I would have expected a lot more.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/19/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bear Charge

It's the fine plus restitution.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Game Warrden question - 09/22/15 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: Bear Charge

It's the fine plus restitution.
The fine is based per square inch of horn, $500 is just the violation ticket, civil restitution is where the really get you $$$...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum