Texas Hunting Forum

Javalena Hunt in Jan.

Posted By: pigplinker

Javalena Hunt in Jan. - 09/09/15 06:03 PM

My son-in-law and I have been drawn on a Javalena hunt at Elephant Mtn in Jan. Any suggestions on how to go after them would be helpful. I have been there before for an Archery hunt, so I under stand the type of scenery we will be looking at. Would it be better to stalk or sit on water holes?
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Javalena Hunt in Jan. - 09/09/15 07:54 PM

Corn if you can and stalk.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Javalena Hunt in Jan. - 09/09/15 08:47 PM

Their vision is really poor. Just corn the roads/senderos and wait.

If you have the wind right, you can pretty much walk right up on them (if your bow hunting)
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Javalena Hunt in Jan. - 09/10/15 12:16 AM

Baiting is not allowed on Javi hunts on Elephant Mountain WMA according to the website: https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/h....phtml?OCat=GJE
I would sit and glass large areas to see if you can spot them up and feeding. Look around to you find them in one location and not the terrain, cover and food source. Then keep looking for those same locations for other groups. Waterholes will be hit or miss IMO for Javi's.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Javalena Hunt in Jan. - 09/10/15 12:18 AM

Calling them is pretty exciting and they aren't hard to call.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Javalena Hunt in Jan. - 09/10/15 04:59 AM

I'm always dodging them on the highway right at the turn off to the WMA. Don't think you'll have too hard of time but water is always a bonus in the desert.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Javalena Hunt in Jan. - 09/11/15 02:12 PM

I appreciate the input. NO baiting allowed and it will be a gun hunt. We are looking forward to the hunt. Anytime in the outdoors will be good. I was thinking that if I can get the wind right stalking would fun. I hunted the place several years back on a bow hunt. I know everything sticks, bites or stings in the area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum