Texas Hunting Forum

No Rain and High Heat?

Posted By: 7ARanch

No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 09:11 PM

So while we had a record rain this spring what will be the impact on all that growth now that we have gone over a month with no rain and we are now in triple digits? I am trying to find time this week to go look at my property but some of you live on your land so I am wondering what you are seeing. I know everywhere I look here in town that is not watered is scorched.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 09:15 PM

The rains stopped but the growth and quality of the habitat continued on for a while after it stopped. The browse still looks really good in my area while forb growth is about gone. The deer are still finding some forbes to eat it appears as I watch them in front of my house. Once the deer hit late July they will find enough around my place to finish out fine as far as antler growth. I also feed protein and they are starting to hit it daily now. I will not have a mast crop so that is going to effect what I do this fall for planting and feeding. Body condition looks great right now in my area.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 09:16 PM

All the new growth is sitting like fuel for the next round of wildfires.
Posted By: KG68

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 09:21 PM

Grasshoppers are eating what hasn't burned up here. bang
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 09:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I feed protein too, they were barely touching it earlier (relative to other years) but my guess is I will be dropping some more cash on it sooner than later.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 09:41 PM

Time to get the shredding going soon. up
Posted By: texassippi

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

we have land in NE TX and we just tried to do a controlled burn this weekend on 3 fields(why we did it on the hottest day of the year is beyond me). fields were still too green. none of them would light so the biologist ended up calling it off after about an hour of trying to get it going. but that's just in our neck of the woods, i'm sure its different in other parts of the state
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 10:04 PM

Our place looks great. Plenty of forbs and browse. I need to shred though. Flame leaf sumac has gone crazy.
Posted By: rickym

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 10:04 PM

I agree with most of this ^ for the ne Texas area as for the greenery, Although most everything that grows real close to the ground was dead and brown this past weekend
Posted By: sallysue

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 10:30 PM

My sunflowers are still green and I planted them the normal time Weird year
Posted By: texassippi

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/10/15 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
I agree with most of this ^ for the ne Texas area as for the greenery, Although most everything that grows real close to the ground was dead and brown this past weekend

yeah that is true. most of our land is enrolled in CRP so as you could imagine it is tall and thick at the moment. all the close to ground dead stuff would catch but it wouldn't catch the actual thick grass we needed to burn. oh well, i wasn't mad. burning a few hundred acres in 105 degree heat wasn't exactly what i wanted to be doing on saturday haha
Posted By: Lotto

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/11/15 02:09 AM

Got a few inches of good rain up at the farm about 10 days ago and things still greening up.........weeds...weeds...grashoppers...weeds...etc...grazer coming in good and will plant some wheat come September.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/11/15 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

This. This broom weeds here are solid for hundreds of thousands of acres. This fall when they die it will be like gasoline soaked rags if a fire starts. In 1988 we had a range fire in Shackleford county that burned about 700,000 acres. The bro weeds and blood weeds were like that are now. Hopefully we have a very wet fall and winter.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/11/15 03:39 AM

We are in Mitchell/Sterling Counties.
Top end is very Green. But the forbs are gone. Deer this last week.
Began to start coming into feeders. Corn.
We have water on the place. So that explains a lot of new deer.
Showing up. Drying up on neiboring ranches,
Also; beginning to see deer dead along hwy 87. 163. In the road.
They are moving about searching for food and water.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: No Rain and High Heat? - 08/11/15 08:52 PM

I am a long way from you all, but we have been Hit with rain all summer. Last I heard we had over 24" for the Summer alone, and have had at least 3 good rains since then. That is a lot of rain for the Texas Panhandle, I live in Dumas (Moore County). In fact we are hoping for a warm winter or we may be knee deep in snow through the winter bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum