Texas Hunting Forum

!!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!!

Posted By: Red D

!!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/23/15 08:47 PM

Lifetime hunting ($1000) or fishing ($1000) or combo ($1800)...
Is it worth it?
What if you move to a different state?
Posted By: rickym

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/23/15 08:48 PM

Whether it's worth it depends on your age.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/23/15 11:27 PM

I got mine when they were just a $1000. Should have gotten it way back when they were only $300!!! bang
And they are still good if you move out of state.
Posted By: Skip

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/23/15 11:38 PM

Its worth it if your young 18 to 30 ish.
Posted By: PMK

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 12:11 AM

yep, depends on your age. I bought my son a lifetime hunting license for his 25th birthday (ummm, I think it was his 25th??? but might have been 21st) as I foresee him having a good 50+ years of free hunting which would pay for itself @ $25/year but those fees might go up over time.

I have a friend that used to work in various states for extended periods, he bought a lifetime license in each of them that were available, CA, AZ, CO, TX, OK, ID, WA, and maybe OR, he retired in OK ... yeah it adds up but he hunts in all for residence rates and he typically will hit 2-3 different states each year.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 12:38 AM

I kick myself for not getting a lifetime in Okla when they where 300 I spend 2-3x that there now some years
Posted By: Boomer57

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 01:13 AM

Mine was $600, my sons was $800. Best buy I've ever made.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 02:45 AM

Bought mine when I turned 18. Got some b-day money and what I had saved and decided that was a good investment. Paid $1000 for hunting/fishing combo, and the current Super Combo costing $68, it will only take 15 years to pay for its self, and it's got 3 years to go.
Posted By: darrack

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 04:29 PM

I bought mine at 1000. I knew I was moving to New Mexico a year or so later. It has paid itself off already in just over 4 years. It is a great investment
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 04:38 PM

I have a lifetime for both Arkansas and Texas, $1000 each. One of the best things I ever did. Since I don't have to buy out of state Arkansas license it paid for itself in 3 years.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 05:11 PM

It's worth it if you move out of state. Maybe not if you stay in state. Especially not for fishing if you stay in state because once you turn 65 you don't need a Texas fishing license anymore.
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
It's worth it if you move out of state. Maybe not if you stay in state. Especially not for fishing if you stay in state because once you turn 65 you don't need a Texas fishing license anymore.
I think you have to be 85 to get it free, born before Sept 1 1930. I could be wrong tho
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 09:21 PM

No sir my grandpa doesn't need one anymore and he is 73
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 09:22 PM

I bought me and my son a lifetime combo license a few years ago. If you plan to hunt/fish for the next 12-18 years, then it will pay for itself.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/24/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I kick myself for not getting a lifetime in Okla when they where 300 I spend 2-3x that there now some years

I snapped up that Non-resident Lifetime before they got smart and discontinued it. More than paid for itself. grin
Posted By: Grizz

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/25/15 04:32 AM

At 65 and older you are still required to have a fishing license unless you were born before Sept.1, 1931.
From the TPWD website:

"Are Texas residents 65 years of age and older required to purchase a fishing license?

Yes, Texas residents 65 years of age and older are required to purchase a fishing license. However, Texas residents born BEFORE January 1, 1931 are exempt from the fishing license requirement. Below are the options available:"

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/25/15 04:36 AM

As far as the lifetime license, as others have said it depends on your age and if you still plan to hunt in Texas after you move. I got mine when they were $1,000 for a combo and it was one of the best investments I've made. I plan to hunt and fish for many years to come, and you can bet the cost of a super combo is going to continue to go up. If I had waited until they went up to $1,800 it probably wouldn't have been such a good deal for me.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/25/15 07:55 PM

Do the lifetimes come with all the stamps and endorsements? confused2
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/25/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: blazin
Do the lifetimes come with all the stamps and endorsements? confused2
I believe everything but federal stamps and the public land permit
Posted By: Bbear

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/26/15 01:51 PM

bought my lifetime hunting for $500 when I was around 35 or so. I figured that by the time I was too old or dead I'd have paid it back. Two years later I got a job that moved me out of state. Paid for my license the after only two years of living out of state.
The way I look at it now, the state of Texas is paying me to hunt now. grin
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/27/15 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz

At 65 and older you are still required to have a fishing license unless you were born before Sept.1, 1931.
From the TPWD website:

"Are Texas residents 65 years of age and older required to purchase a fishing license?

Yes, Texas residents 65 years of age and older are required to purchase a fishing license. However, Texas residents born BEFORE January 1, 1931 are exempt from the fishing license requirement. Below are the options available:"

I think the license at age 65 drops $7 to $26 depending on what you need.

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/27/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: Grizz

From the TPWD website:

I think the license at age 65 drops $7 to $26 depending on what you need.

It is cheaper but you still have to have one.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/30/15 05:28 PM

Today just happens to be my birthday. I bought my Lifetime Combo 24 years ago for my 30th. Paid $500.00. On Sept 1 of that year they went to $1000.00. Best money I ever spent. The first few years I had it you still had to pay for stamps but somewhere in the mid 1990's they started including all State issued stamps, that really made it pay for itself quick. Now all I have to buy is a Federal Duck stamp.
If you move out of state you still keep your lifetime resident license status.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/30/15 05:37 PM

I'm gonna get one soon. Been telling my self to do it for years, maybe that will be my present to myself for my big 3-0 birthday in September.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/30/15 05:43 PM

I purchased mine when they were $600, missed the $300 by one year because I was dragging my feet. I have not had to buy one for many years now.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/30/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
I'm gonna get one soon. Been telling my self to do it for years, maybe that will be my present to myself for my big 3-0 birthday in September.

Go for the Combo if you can afford it, even if you don't fish much it's worth it when you do.
All the money raised from Lifetime License sales goes into a special account that only TPWD gets to use.
Posted By: ckat

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 07/31/15 11:58 PM

I have been hunting for "free" for about 4 years now. It was a wonderful investment for me.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: !!!!! Lifetime license? !!!!! - 08/01/15 02:44 PM

I bought the combo for my son when he was a toddler and myself, though most would have said I was too old to benefit from it. It was before the increase. Seeing the money went to an endowment fund instead of the general fund is what sold me. Then I went crazy and bought the lifetime Colorado Conservation permit for similar reasons and also in it's first year before any increase. Then $250 nonresident Lifetime Oklahoma fishing licenses for the entire family as it was the last year it was available. Because I hunt and fish most everthing in all three states, and the price increases, collectively I have already saved money IMO. Not having to budget for license and endorsement costs every year has been nice too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum