Texas Hunting Forum

Bulk deer corn?

Posted By: Extractor23

Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 06:21 PM

I am sure this has been covered before so point me in the right direction if there is already a thread on it.

Where/how is the best way to buy bulk corn? Looking to get 2-3 thousand pounds to for the up coming season.

Also i am in the Lubbock Texas area.

Thanks
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 06:27 PM

welcome If you are looking to buy bulk corn make sure it is recleaned corn so it won't clog your feeders up and aflatoxin tested. What are you going to store it in to keep bugs and critters out of it? How are you going to haul it? By the time you buy storage, handle it several times you will be cheaper and get better quality corn buying it in bags if you are feeding it out of spin feeders. Large grain dealers or feed stores around the state handle it. Where do you live or hunt?
Posted By: Extractor23

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 06:48 PM

Thanks for the information. I live in Lubbock Texas and will be hunting out near Dickens Texas.

I am debating on buying bags of corn or buying from a grain elevator and storing in 55 gallon drums. Will be using out spin feeders.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 06:57 PM

I would not store corn in tightly sealed drums or any container. Corn is harvested at a certain moisture content. Sealing bags or bulk corn inside an unvented containers will end up with very moldy and wet corn. I know this past experience. I only buy what I need in my feeders now or I am going to put out with a road feeder.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I would not store corn in tightly sealed drums or any container. Corn is harvested at a certain moisture content. Sealing bags or bulk corn inside an unvented containers will end up with very moldy and wet corn. I know this past experience. I only buy what I need in my feeders now or I am going to put out with a road feeder.
\

It is still dried to a lower moisture content. I can't remember just how low we used to do it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 10:30 PM

we buy out of the field, ck to make sure moister content is low, stored in 55gal barrels with tight lids, been using the corn that is 2yrs old, no problems
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Extractor23
Thanks for the information. I live in Lubbock Texas and will be hunting out near Dickens Texas.

I am debating on buying bags of corn or buying from a grain elevator and storing in 55 gallon drums. Will be using out spin feeders.

Elevator isn't cleaned. So you will have to screen it yourself.

My personally opinion... I farm a lot of corn acreage. I wouldn't buy from the elevator and especially the field. What you save isn't worth the storage hassle and moisture issues.

What you are buying from the elevator was generally just harvested and hasn't had the fans running on it very long.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommar
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
\

It is still dried to a lower moisture content. I can't remember just how low we used to do it.

When was it cut and how long had it been at the elevator. Why as an elevator owner would I mess with selling you just 50-100 bushels??? That's less then an acre of corn.... Something to think about when buying from an elevator. We use to own an elevator... That's a lot of hassle unless moisture level is high

Those fans serve dual purpose just like a hay barn that the sides don't go all the way to the ground.....

I'd be extra careful and not store it in anything air tight.
Posted By: don k

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/06/15 11:10 PM

Good way to get weevels or get it moldy. You might end up wishing you got it by the sack.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/07/15 12:04 AM

welcome ta THF flag
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/07/15 10:45 PM

I buy mine out of the field, put in 55 gallon barrels then transfer what I don't use in feeders to old heed sacks picked up from a rancher. Keep in paper feed sack until corn is used then do it all over again. There are times I will buy bulk corn from the co-op and repeat the above process. No problems so far.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/08/15 04:12 AM

Used to buy bulk corn from an elevator, that worked great when we were just feeding roads and senderos. Also used to fill 18 feeders on two different ranches with corn that was raised/harvested/cleaned by the land owner no problem. Parked a 5K lb hopper in the barn, filled bags, filled feeders. Moisture content didn't matter too much when you were filling once a month, what mattered was if it was clean or not. Dirty corn is the devil. Nowadays, I prefer to buy cleaned bagged corn by the pallet. It is drier and normally clean, so can turn feeders down when needed and a 55 gal feeder will last for 2 months with no issues. It sounds good to buy bulk & store to save money, but the bugs and moisture will be your enemy unless you have a set up where you can keep it sealed and aerated at the same time. I learned the hard way when it comes to storing.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/08/15 05:57 PM

We'll buy 10 tons bulk cleaned @ the beginning of September and immediately get it in the 6 feeders.The savings over bagged is not really substantial but since we have a 4 ton feed trailer it allows for easy fill. Dont like having any corn sitting around even in bags to long- mold, weevils, mice and varmints. The corn in the 2k"s lasts thru Jan and refill the 2 1k's anytime they are out. Those run year round
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/08/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: artrios60
The savings over bagged is not really substantial

What were they charging you to clean it? We bought bulk corn last year (28 tons) at $7/100lb delivered, when most people on here were paying nearly $7/50lb bag. I'd say 50% plus freight is a significant savings. However, that was NOT cleaned, thus my question.

@BOBO, where do you farm? Any idea what it's going to bring in the field?
Posted By: 4D RANCH

Re: Bulk deer corn? - 07/08/15 07:40 PM

We get our bulk corn and protein from Colorado Feed and Seed in Colorado City. Give them a call for pricing. 325-728-5071 ask for Robert
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum