Texas Hunting Forum

Almost got carried away last night

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Almost got carried away last night - 06/27/15 04:02 PM

Flying monkey style like Wizard of Oz. Mosquitos were that bad last night, ridiculous. Tried the thermacell, and my son kept saying this stupid thing isn't working...asked him if he put the wafer in the front, and he said what wafer? He was fooling around with it for so long I figured he knew what he was doing. Oh well. Once we got it right and fired it up, it seemed to draw mor squitos in rather than repel them. My hands are a bit swollen today from all the blood sucking. I think we each have a quart last night.

And saw nothing to boot. bummer we didn't see anything.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/27/15 06:20 PM

LOL, did you put in a mosquito repellent wafer or a deer scent wafer? The latter won't repel skeeters.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/28/15 01:27 AM

I've used a thermacell in a ton of places and conditions and I've never seen it not work.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/28/15 08:45 AM

My thermacell works great. Always one in my backpack
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/28/15 08:55 AM

Did you remember to put in the butane cartridge? roflmao

I hate mosquitos.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/28/15 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985

I hate mosquitos.

X2

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/28/15 07:02 PM

Just so everyone knows, butane was in, regular wafer was in, it was glowing from the top showing it was on, and you could easily smell the repellent being "warmed-off", but the squitos were just thick as anything. To thermacell a credit, we didn't give a full 15 minutes to let it get full effect and we were outside not enclosed (but there was no wind at all, which contributed to the swarming not effect we experienced) so it wasn't a great experiment on the effectiveness of the thermacell. It was just annoying there were so many squitos and they were relentless. A slight wind might have helped, and it certainly would have made it more comfortable in the bug hats. My wife thought I had a rash on my back the next morning, but I told her it was just all the bites. rofl

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/29/15 02:18 PM

Okay, were you stationary or were you walking around?
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/29/15 03:41 PM

Hmmmm... Maybe a bad/old wafer? Thermacell has always done a nice job for me. up

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/29/15 05:00 PM

We were walking, not staying still, and that was our downfall. I was hoping with no wind that it would help a little even if we were walking, but to no avail. We were stationary for the first bit with no wafer, so that wasn't a fair judge. I have used it before while hunting from the blind and it seemed to work well for that, but the squitos are thicker this year due to all the water, and walking around as we have done in years past was just unbearable, even with nets over our heads. I know it wasn't a failure on thermacell's part, they aren't designed to be used while stalking.

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/29/15 06:28 PM

Quote:
We were walking, not staying still, and that was our downfall.

And there you have it. It can't protect you if you keep walking away from the product it puts out.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/29/15 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

And there you have it. It can't protect you if you keep walking away from the product it puts out.

For sure... Wouldn't even turn it on... up
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 06/29/15 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

For sure... Wouldn't even turn it on... up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 07/03/15 11:18 AM

Repel or deep woods OFF
Posted By: Western

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 07/03/15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Repel or deep woods OFF
Always worked for me up
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Almost got carried away last night - 07/03/15 03:09 PM

I have only used my Thermacel in blinds and it has been very effective there. My wife uses it sometimes on the patio by pool and says it helps.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum