Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone painted a travel trailer before?

Posted By: ttechcolleyville

Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 05:19 AM

I bought a bare bones trailer for a second lease I got on this season and I need to paint it fast. It is A&M maroon and I want to eliminate any hint of that color. I used spray paint to cover the logo in the pic but I am curious what kind of paint I should use for the whole trailer - which is aluminum. This paint job is fresh and I have pics showing it before the paint job and the guy put a full primer on it before painting. So I would like to just paint over it with minimal prep other than washing it.

All the info I can find about painting travel trailers assumes you are restoring a vintage trailer and recommend all manner of prep and paints from auto paint to exterior latex enamel. Any thoughts or recommendations on what kind of paint to use. I just want non-maroon and may go Dallas Cowboys blue or a light olive drab. But I don't want to repaint it again for the foreseeable future.

Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 12:29 PM

Any outdoor enamel should work. Use a sprayer if you have access to one.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 12:47 PM

I would paint it a lite/reflective color, will help it stay cool better. Maybe DC gray instead of blue.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 01:11 PM

I would go to Lowes or HD and see what they have in a 5 gallon bucket of a color they mixed wrong, they are cheap. If not, then I'd use an outdoor paint like you would for your house, and in a light color. Roll it on, the texture won't matter since its at the lease and you can roll on multiple coats a lot thicker and easier than trying to spray it outside
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 01:15 PM

Sherrin Williams DTM Direct to metal; good for over other paint
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 03:30 PM

Just don't paint latex over oil base. Looks to be latex from what I can tell.
Posted By: ttechcolleyville

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Definitely changing what I was thinking.
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 05:54 PM

you should leave it that color the pigs will come running.. even the pigs know A&M cannot get a grip on pig skin... grin
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/24/15 09:46 PM

clap
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Anyone painted a travel trailer before? - 06/25/15 12:42 AM

If you can go to Bowie and pick it up Rapco paints are great. I have painted vehicles, aluminum boats, sheds, they wear forever
http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum