Texas Hunting Forum

Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife

Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 02:01 PM

I have a contract on some land Eastern Matagorda county, 20 acres with two 1 acre ponds. One pond is deep, and the other is only about hip deep. There is a well in place for pumping water into the deep pond, which has a spillway pipe that flows into the marsh pond.

Now I want to develop a plan for making it a duck, dove, deer and pig heaven. Admittedly, I'm not in farm country, but there's a good teal and woodie population, with whistlers coming in as well. I've seen 3 doe on the property which is bordered by heavy timber, and has pig wallows. Seen several squirrels, and might even have a covey of quail or two.

It's currently just pastureland with pecan and oaks. Here are some pictures:

My fence line on the north is right at the woods.

The previous owners are leaving the deer feeders, and they seem to have attracted many deer & pigs because its all wallowed out below them

A picture of the well system in the winter.

The first pond.

So I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas on what kind of supplemental planting/management I can do to attract the wild life. I'm going to consult our county biologist, and follow the guidelines given for achieving the wildlife exemption status, but wanted to see if you had additional ideas or could point me in the direction of good resources. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 02:14 PM

Think your best option is going to be feed feed and feed some more. Food plots are always good, but depends on what tools you have at your discretion. Im not sure what would be good to grow in your location.
Posted By: ralph

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 02:15 PM

No specific suggestions but good looking land. You have water which is important (and a good looking pond too!) Congratulations. I wish you many years of enjoyment.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 02:26 PM

start planting hardwoods

post oaks, pecans, honeysuckle ...

give them a lot of cover around the pond

you're covered with trees by your neighbor to the north, just help
extend that tree line 10 acres into your side
Posted By: kry226

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 02:31 PM

Congrats on the land!

I would contact the local TPWD biologist and/or NRCS for ideas and programs that would help you to enhance your property. Those folks should know all the local nuances with habitat and wildlife. Best of luck to you. up
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 02:56 PM

You're going to be surprised at how friggin' many deer there are out there. Unless it's totally overhunted, there will be a TON.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
Congrats on the land!

I would contact the local TPWD biologist and/or NRCS for ideas and programs that would help you to enhance your property. Those folks should know all the local nuances with habitat and wildlife. Best of luck to you. up

^^^This^^^ I would ask them specifically about food plots and enhancing cover because you have the water coverd. I would be careful about my placeement of dove fields because what's legal for doves could be considered baiting for ducks. I would place them as far away from the water as possible.

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
start planting hardwoods

post oaks, pecans, honeysuckle ...

give them a lot of cover around the pond

you're covered with trees by your neighbor to the north, just help
extend that tree line 10 acres into your side

Definitely going to do this. Thanks.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 04:28 PM

cheers Best wishes coolpics reminds me gotta go put batterirs in cam.... flag

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
Originally Posted By: kry226
Congrats on the land!

^^^This^^^ I would ask them specifically about food plots and enhancing cover because you have the water coverd. I would be careful about my placeement of dove fields because what's legal for doves could be considered baiting for ducks. I would place them as far away from the water as possible.

yep, going to lean on them for advice.

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
You're going to be surprised at how friggin' many deer there are out there. Unless it's totally overhunted, there will be a TON.

oh be still my heart....I hope you are correct.

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: AndrewOSpencer

I'm not joking at all - I'm talking herds of deer and hogs. Area is listed by QDMA as being as densely populated as the hill country, depending on exactly where you are. Have a buddy with a place down there and he's completely covered up.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: AndrewOSpencer

I'm not joking at all - I'm talking herds of deer and hogs. Area is listed by QDMA as being as densely populated as the hill country, depending on exactly where you are. Have a buddy with a place down there and he's completely covered up.

I grew up around there and still have lots of friends and family around. I still have some cows in Western Brazoria county.

He is right about game. Not to sure on the quail part, not likely. But you should have a ton of deer, hogs, squirrels, and some coyotes, dove and rabbits with out doing anything much. You will attract a few fly over ducks, there is a lot of water in that area and the ducks spread out pretty good. Stand by for everyone to flame me, but antler restrictions have done wonders for deer quality and quantity in Brazoria and Matagorda counties.

I suggest you put a substantial feeder pen around at least one feeder, or you will be over run with hogs and they will push the deer out.

BRING LOTS OF MOSQUITO REPPELENT!
Posted By: CTR

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 10:41 PM

You should let me evaluate yer deer herd this fall, I'll bring my evaluation stick.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/11/15 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Dunk
Stand by for everyone to flame me, but antler restrictions have done wonders for deer quality and quantity in Brazoria and Matagorda counties.

why care about the flamers ?

AR was done for a reason,,,,,
Posted By: nak

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/12/15 04:11 AM

Congratulations of the new place!

Improving wildlife is a long term project and you will get a lot further with the help of your neighbors. Meet them and see if they are like minded. As mentioned above, seek advice from wildlife mgmt pros.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/12/15 04:45 AM

Congratulations on the new place.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/12/15 04:52 AM

Congrats on the new place and good luck up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/12/15 11:27 AM

That is a sweet looking 20 acres Andrew. Nice mature trees, cover and water. All the key ingredients that most small parcels don't have. Well played and wish you lots of good memories there with your family. cheers
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/12/15 11:41 AM

sweet looking land. You aren't too far away from my hunting area. You are going to be surprised at what all shows up at 'ur land in this coastal area. Most important, when setting up the blind, is play the wind.

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/25/15 03:38 PM

Hey fellas, pulled my game cam yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Three days isn't long, and there are no monsters but I'm happy.

Posted By: kry226

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/25/15 03:49 PM

cheers Congrats!
Posted By: don k

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/25/15 11:44 PM

Lots of action.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 12:14 AM

Look at all that green. Rain has done it's job this season thus far.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 12:37 AM

Things are looking good!
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 12:41 AM

That buck looks a little agitated with his mouth open. Running that other buck off huh?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 12:29 PM

Beautiful. Beware of the 'Ownership syndrome', it is all consuming...In a good way, though up

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 12:37 PM

I'd say that's a heck of a picture crop for 3 days.

It'll only get better as you continue to bring them in. Congrats on a potential goldmine.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 03:53 PM

cheers
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 04:04 PM

Wow, lots of deer, and hogs, and ponds for ducks!

I think you have a hunters paradise my friends. Since you have water on the land my only suggestion would be to put in a food plot for deer. Getting a biologist out there will help a lot too.

I had one out to the land I hunt and he recommended I put in food plots so I did. Definitely increased the deer population.

You can manage that place really well and grow some monsters out there! Maybe even High fence it and bring in some Axis up
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 04:35 PM

Awesome pics
Good luck with the place!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Got some Land! Now looking to improve it for wildlife - 06/26/15 05:48 PM

Congrats on that place. Looks extremely nice. That pond should hold some good fish as well!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum