Texas Hunting Forum

Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/04/15 05:03 PM

Can somebody help me with locating the specific statutes on donating kills (deer and hogs, specifically) to shelters/soup kitchens in Texas?
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/04/15 06:04 PM

My dad runs a food pantry for his church, and hunters donate meat every season. A local processor donates the processing. Dad says there is some law about that having to be done by a licensed or certified processor. Sorry not much help.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/05/15 12:52 AM

I have donated a lot of deer to the Hunters for the Hungary program. Also donated a lot of deer to the local County food bank, that were processed(paid by the ranch) into hamburger. The food bank then gave the venison hamburger to needy families. I know there is a local Church food pantry in this county. The lady also takes up money donations and any processed meat from past seasons you want to give her. Deer, turkey, dove, quail, exotics, etc...she is not picky. A local processor also will grind up any deer into hamburger for her(paid for with cash donations). She has over 50 needy families in one small community alone she supplies with the meat from donations. She did mention something specifically about wild hogs. I would have to check with her about that again.
I have also donated a lot of deer to a group of guys that would process the meat for local churches in their community. They would go to local ministers and ask who in the congregation needed it. They would then process according to the needs and deliver it. Did all of this on their own on weekends.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/05/15 01:54 AM

I have donated through my processor. I will drop off the deer off at the processor and leave enough money to cover the processing. He takes care of the rest.
Posted By: Believer

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/08/15 02:25 AM

By law HOG can only be donated to a shelter if it is inspected live by a health dept official at an approved facility. Deer is a whole different matter, mostly defendant pin the organization receiving.
Posted By: bluesman

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/08/15 04:06 AM

Always bothered me that the processors don't ever seem to do much donating themselves - just make a profit off someone else's charity. Something wrong with a system where they make money off something designed to help the poor. Perhaps the processors need to donating the processing also.

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/08/15 04:56 AM

Believer, that was my understanding on hogs, but I can't find the statute to substantiate it.

bluesman, don't blame the processors if they didn't set up the program. When you mandate donations be obligatory, then they are no longer donations. They become a tax or extortion.

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/08/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Believer, that was my understanding on hogs, but I can't find the statute to substantiate it.

bluesman, don't blame the processors if they didn't set up the program. When you mandate donations be obligatory, then they are no longer donations. They become a tax or extortion.

If you will do some digging you will find that the processors were one of the main forces behind the law that required processing. So yes, in my book it was greed of the processors that triggered this law..
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/08/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Dunk
My dad runs a food pantry for his church, and hunters donate meat every season. A local processor donates the processing. Dad says there is some law about that having to be done by a licensed or certified processor. Sorry not much help.

The processor in Marble Falls, does the processing for $25 a deer, which compared to what I pay for deer processing is a serious discount. Don't know about any others though.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/08/15 08:11 PM

scratch reading under your post, finaly figured out what Chief Dan George ment whin he called me Na-ta-ho-hay after we went out choot-en , asked what it ment, he said vegetarian flag

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/08/15 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch reading under your post, finaly figured out what Chief Dan George ment whin he called me Na-ta-ho-hay after we went out choot-en , asked what it ment, he said vegetariane flag

banana clap

Re: Statutes on Donating Kills to Shelters - 06/10/15 03:28 AM

Quote:
If you will do some digging you will find that the processors were one of the main forces behind the law that required processing. So yes, in my book it was greed of the processors that triggered this law..

Okay, prove it. I can't find any evidence about which you are talking.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum