Texas Hunting Forum

Elk CO unit 551??

Posted By: Shadeabby

Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 12:32 PM

Has anyone here hunted are been to unit 551 in colorado? Me and a few other members here where lucky enough to draw as a group for first archery elk there and looking for any kind of help. I have all the maps I can get my hands on and been doing as much research as possible and I'm even looking into a prior scouting trip just thought I'd see if anyone here would be willing to help out a little. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 01:23 PM

East/SE/S side of the unit. West side is prairie goat country and gets hammered by folks hunting from 114. Going to be a tough hunt.

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 02:09 PM

114 could be referring to a windin', shaded road down through a canyon that gets snow packed real bad that divides gmu551 from the unit I hunt.....geeez, Western.

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 02:12 PM

Posted By: Western

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 02:13 PM

I edited my post anyhoo roflmao For some reason I was thinking pagosa springs confused2 no more Sanka for me brudda.

All I know about that unit is their can be a few outfitters putting in around Monarch, some of the "purdiest" country in Colorado too. Drove hyw 50 many times and see a lot of game.
Posted By: Western

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

I don't see no sign peep

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 02:17 PM

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/02/15 02:27 PM

Here's a shot of the NW corner.

Posted By: 10ring

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/03/15 02:59 AM

You can access it from quite a few locations, off of hwy 50 as well as 114. I'd concentrate on what's know as Razor Dome "Razor creek dome". Be very careful if you venture off of the back "north side of the mountain" it's usually a one way trip to the bottom as it tends to be too steep to hike back out of. Lots of elk usually hang in the very dark timber and some very tucked away aspen pockets always hold game . Below this area to the north look into what is know as the 3 sisters and another called Prosser Rock. You will encounter quite a few other hunters in these areas but that's fine most of em don't "work" too hard at getting back into the deep timber. I wouldn't worry about trying to bugle too much, every Tom, Dick, n Harry will be blowing calls at each other. I always lay low n look for small pockets and catch them making a small move from cover or to feed.
PM me and I'll pass on whatever information I can to you. My Family and I have been hunting that area since the early 60's "I'm from Gunnison, weve got 6 generations there". I doubt there are too many rocks in 551 we've left unturned.
Posted By: Shadeabby

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/03/15 10:13 PM

Thanks for all the useful info so far. 10ring...I think your PM box is full.
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Elk CO unit 551?? - 06/06/15 10:25 PM

Good luck, looks like beautiful country.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum