Texas Hunting Forum

Need Help With Cactus Control

Posted By: 30378

Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 12:37 AM

What's a good herbicide for broad leaf cactus? Stuff is out of control with all the rain. Roundup does not get it!
Posted By: Axisking

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 12:48 AM

surmount for prickly pear
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 01:51 AM

Fire works well on prickly pear if you are in a situation where you can do a controlled burn.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 11:03 AM

REMEDY
Posted By: KG68

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 12:30 PM

Surmount. It will take severals months before it dies.
Posted By: Western

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Fire works well on prickly pear if you are in a situation where you can do a controlled burn.

This would be the quickest way, especially if you have a tractor with a FEL (front end loader) . You have to get every leave though as they will sprout if they touch the ground. That is where a FEL works good, scoop up and put on a wood pile. Any piece you miss, will grow, so be thorough. Even if you have to wait for more wet weather, that is ok, it will allow the cactus to dry out and burn better.
Posted By: tx_biologist

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 05:01 PM

If you can find it Vista, best stuff around, Surmount you really have to be careful around trees and brush.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 05:34 PM

Grubbing hoe, dig it up and pile it up and burn it, plan on going back over the area for a couple of years.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 05:45 PM

I sprayed some at my house with remedy/diesel. It took it a few weeks to a month or so to kill it but worked. Unfortunately I missed an odd patty here and there and it is starting to come back. Depending on where it is, we have had good luck shredding and disking the pear in our roads and it kills it off.
Posted By: TexasPI

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 06:32 PM

+1 on the Remedy / diesel. I was working on thousands of yucca and came across the occasional cactus patch - went ahead and sprayed the cactus too. Just a few weeks later I was inspecting the yucca kill and noticed that the cactus I sprayed was toast. That was a couple of years ago and the cactus still has not returned where I sprayed. Would also recommend a little blue dye in the mix - makes it easy to tell what you have already sprayed. Good Luck!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 08:23 PM

Tordon will work on cactus also. I have used Remedy and water mix to spray isolated cactus in feeder pens on or fence rows. Just have to get every pad wet and it will kill it.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Grubbing hoe, dig it up and pile it up and burn it, plan on going back over the area for a couple of years.

I bought some Remedy but then chose this route : hoe
The terrain I am at, water runoff will eventually get chemical into the 4 ponds I have

I am trying to keep chemical dependence to a strict minimum or nil
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 09:27 PM

I've used Tordon and it definitely works. But it does take a while.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 09:38 PM

Tordon does indeed work. Our rancher had the heli's come in and make a pass on about 800 acres three years back. Looks like a different place now. It will need to be done again this year or next. With the price of cattle it would surely pay for itself right now.
Posted By: Hook-Em

Re: Need Help With Cactus Control - 06/01/15 11:18 PM

Only advice is use a surfactant if using a spray and also spray both sides of the ears.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum