Texas Hunting Forum

All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp

Posted By: Texas Dan

All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/24/15 12:42 PM

After seeing a break in the rain on Friday, I made it to the country and was able to mow the yard and barn area. Almost got stuck on the county road on my way end and did get stuck on the way out yesterday. First time I've had to use the tractor to pull myself out. Never had to cut grass that high, and can't imagine what the trails are going to look like later this summer. That is, if the rain ever stops long enough to mow them. You really have to pity the ones with camps and stands in flood areas of creeks and streams. No question, there's going to be a lot of vehicles to get "buried" this summer and perhaps even this Fall as folks try to get around their lease to fill feeders and work on things. That is, unless this rainy pattern doesn't let up.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/24/15 12:51 PM

This is Texas. It will get hot and dry before the summer ends. Good kind of problems to have this time of year. up
Posted By: Marc K

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/24/15 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
This is Texas. It will get hot and dry before the summer ends. Good kind of problems to have this time of year. up

Yes, indeed!

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/24/15 12:57 PM

I'm going to hold both of you to it. Walking a mile to get the tractor to pull yourself out of a mudhole is not a good thing.

uph
Posted By: nak

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/24/15 11:23 PM

Shot a bore last week. After dressing him out, I sunk my tractor to the transmission trying to get the remains of the gully/coyote buffet where I dump the remains. realmad There was no standing water when I drove in, but the ruts were already filling in as I walked out. This is on the side of a hill and it looked like quicksand.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/26/15 08:23 PM

My lease is under water for the 2nd time in a month down in the river bottoms. Been a long time since I had to worry about that. its high enough i have to worry about replacing the motors on the feeders. very frustrating.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/26/15 08:48 PM

Best thing to do right now is nothing at all. You just end up creating more work for yourself trying to fix the mess you end up making. This is Texas. It will stop raining. Some day....
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/26/15 09:51 PM

I expect my camper to be in pieces. Suppose to have hit real hard in my area with reported campers on their side.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/27/15 12:51 PM

Get a Ranger. It'll go.
Posted By: Whitecrow

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/27/15 03:47 PM

I'm afraid to even go to ours. I know there will be a ton of mowing to do if we want to see anything but grass moving when a deer walks by.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/28/15 12:03 AM

I am going to check on the equipment in camp tomorrow. It has rained yesterday and today at the lease in Archer County and I doubt it will be possible to get past camp into the pasture. I will probably wear out a weed eater in camp but will have some peace of mind, hopefully, that all is ok.

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/28/15 12:20 AM

Best thing to do right now is nothing at all. You just end up creating more work for yourself trying to fix the mess you end up making. This is Texas. It will stop raining. Some day....

That appears to be the approach taken by the county commissioner in our precinct in Houston County. The county dirt roads have not been graded in at least a couple months. According to at least one of the locals, you need a tractor to navigate them without a strong fear of getting stuck.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/28/15 06:20 PM

My land lies in the flood plain directly between 2 creeks. I went out on Saturday afternoon, and 1 of the creeks was right on the verge of breaching the banks and there was standing water all over the place, though I didn't really have any trouble getting around (walked mostly).

I'd guess it was a foot under water after the storm came through. Won't be able to get out there for awhile.

The good news is that while I was there, I saw 4-5 does and they were clearly eating VERY well considering they're nursing right now. Very stout deer.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/29/15 12:46 AM

Beggers can't be choosers ... we were desperate for rain not that long ago. Now that we are getting it, even if it is too much, let's not complain. It is certain that sometime in the future we'll all be praying for rain again, but this wet spell will buy us some time before we find ourselves in that predicament. It is unfortunate that so many are suffering from floods, but what would be suffering from this summer if we hadn't gotten all this rain? Personally, I'll choose localized floods over a widespread drought any day.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: All the rain is creating a lot of work at deer camp - 05/31/15 11:52 AM

Good advice. I'm sure there are some landowners that will be upset with their leasees for tearing up roads and so forth just because they think they have to be there. It is nasty here in North Young County. I just go thru repairing the ninth and last water gap on my fences. The ground is refusing to absorb any more water. I have seen it run in places I have never seen it run. I took the Ranger and it did fine. I couldn't imagine trying the tractor.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum