Texas Hunting Forum

how to evaluate a unknown deer lease

Posted By: hetman

how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:22 PM

Going to look at a new lease north of Bohnam 4his afternoon depending on weather.

We know lease has been used for duck hunting only. L.O.decided to open it for a year around lease. So there is no history to go by. L.O. will not be there to ask questions.

Property has tanks & bottoms and at least 1 wheat field of unknown size.
rain is going to wipe any tracks/bedcing area no racks to see even if we spook deer up.covered in oak trees.

So what other indicators would you look for inthe short frame of time we will be there
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:25 PM

If you are dealing with a middleman then I would tread lightly and ask a ton of question. I hate paying a middleman to lease from someone else. If there are deer there will be other sign from the past seasons and if there are a lot of deer there will be fresh tracks.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:27 PM

Check for sheds around the wheat field.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:29 PM

Do you have access to a helo?
Posted By: Bildo

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:35 PM

Give the local game warden a call
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Check for sheds around the wheat field.

Those can be planted by the guy showing the lease easily.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:46 PM

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:52 PM

Ask for references, it may have only been used for duck hunting but anyone duck hunting will know something about the property. Stop and talk to neighbors.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Best you can do. Sightings can be important too - at least if you are seeing them. More telling in west/central TX than east TX. Evaluating a new place is difficult to do if you don't know the area.
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:56 PM

Talk to member '"Hopalong" or "pintailman" on here or TFF. They have big duck hunting operation up there.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 01:59 PM

I'd corn the roads for a few days and do some scouting if the LO will allow. Should get a decent idea on numbers this way.

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 06:58 PM

Thanks guys for the ideas. I was being rushed for time. Due to the weather
we were told it was too wet & muddy to get Trucks in there. They told me that I have right of first refusal

That will give me time to contact game warden
we are requesting address & map coordinates ( will pull it up on google earth)
This should allow us to see whats around it.
it will also give me time to get my 4 wheeler loaded on a trailer to take with us. If I like it will just lease the whole place between 2 of us and worry about adding hunters at a later date.

I still don't think that we will have multiple days to access the property & put corn out etc etc and see what shows up. We will not be as rushed like today was going to be, But will have to decide that day or it go's up on the lease market.

Thanks hetman
Posted By: 68A

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
Talk to member '"Hopalong" or "pintailman" on here or TFF. They have big duck hunting operation up there.

Gonna be alot of shooting up that way come November.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 08:48 PM

How far north of Bonham? Up near the river can be good. Be ready for lots of hogs!
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 09:01 PM

That's a very popular waterfowl hunting area. What type game are you after?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/21/15 09:23 PM

Stay until after dark... preferably several hours. Get out your spot light. Go over the place life a fine tooth comb and concentrate on that wheat field. If there are resident deer you'll find them.

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Stay until after dark... preferably several hours. Get out your spot light. Go over the place life a fine tooth comb and concentrate on that wheat field. If there are resident deer you'll find them.

will do thanks Hetman

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
That's a very popular waterfowl hunting area. What type game are you after?

For me: pigs/varmints/deer/dove for my partner: same plus he is into ducks

I was never around anywhere to learn the finer points of duck hunting so maybe my partner can teach me. If this is a duck flyaway will it also be a dove flyway?

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Do you have access to a helo?

Sorry not something I have in the garage even though I work at a airport

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bildo
Give the local game warden a call

Yes added this to our to do list - will be calling today found the county game warden phone # last night
Posted By: Western

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 11:51 AM

Tracks may be washed out, but you will know the fresh ones of course. Old rubs will still be easily visible. Can also walk fence lines, look for crossing, note if their is deer hair from half way to the top runs. Bucks will almost always jump, where does may jump, or crawl through.

Finding out the numbers, I think will be impossible with short notice and your limited time. LO should be your best source of info and should be able to at least give you an idea where to look, but confirm that with above mentioned evidence. Sounds like they need/want some cash and some will say anything to get you to pay.

For me it would be based on evidence found, size and cost of lease. May be worth a one year lease with an option to get it long term, then you have several months to evaluate it.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 01:34 PM

One of the best deer leases I ever had I leased without seeing a deer track or deer as I drove through. I did know it was a good area and the terrain of the property was conducive to hold deer.

I know it gets a little more complicated out that direction but point being you will never know until you hunt it for a year.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Tracks may be washed out, but you will know the fresh ones of course. Old rubs will still be easily visible. Can also walk fence lines, look for crossing, note if their is deer hair from half way to the top runs. Bucks will almost always jump, where does may jump, or crawl through.

Finding out the numbers, I think will be impossible with short notice and your limited time. LO should be your best source of info and should be able to at least give you an idea where to look, but confirm that with above mentioned evidence. Sounds like they need/want some cash and some will say anything to get you to pay.

For me it would be based on evidence found, size and cost of lease. May be worth a one year lease with an option to get it long term, then you have several months to evaluate it.

X2
Posted By: TXBomb05

Re: how to evaluate a unknown deer lease - 05/22/15 05:15 PM

If you have the three essentials, water, food and cover, then you're chances of having game are as good as anyone else's in the area....there should also be game trails going in and out of that wheat field and to and from water sources.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum